Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:31 pm
All times are UTC + 0
From an Empire to the Universe
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Arikado
Jumpjet Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject:  From an Empire to the Universe Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.sega.com/gamesite/universeatwar/

SEGA's press release wrote:
SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON (February 2, 2007) - SEGA® of America Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced the development of Universe at War: Earth Assault for the PC. Developed by Petroglyph, this combat-intensive real-time strategy (RTS) game enlists players in an epic struggle to prevent total alien domination of planet Earth. Universe at War: Earth Assault is scheduled to ship to retailers in North America and Europe in the Fall of 2007.

Universe at War: Earth Assault is set in the near-future when multiple factions from across the galaxy have come to Earth to wage epic warfare. Containing numerous features and customization options never-before-seen in the RTS genre, Universe at War: Earth Assault will create an exceptional strategy experience for single-player and especially multiplayer battles.

"Universe at War: Earth Assault will surpass the limits of what gamers expect to see in an RTS game," said Scott A. Steinberg, Vice President of Marketing, SEGA of America, Inc. "Petroglyph has a proven pedigree of critically acclaimed RTS title creation under its belt with team members that have worked on the original Command and Conquer and Command and Conquer: Red Alert. Universe at War: Earth Assault will be the culmination of years of development expertise in creating exciting and innovative RTS titles."

Universe at War: Earth Assault will employ a unique balance system called "Tactical Dynamics" that allows players to retrain and customize units in the midst of battle to better cope with enemy forces and tactical situations. Weaponry and defenses can be modified in true real-time to take advantage of constantly shifting battlefield conditions. Fully customizable tech trees will allow players to control the development of technologies that they deem key to victory.

Battles in Universe at War: Earth Assault will be large in scope and take place in malleable and deforming environments. Deadly sci-fi weapons and alien powers will allow players to destroy cities and whole territories on a global scale. Because the world of Universe at War: Earth Assault is persistent, players will be able to revisit previous battlegrounds to find them still smoldering in ruins.

Featuring innovative multiplayer modes inspired by popular massively multiplayer online games and competitive online playable titles, Universe at War: Earth Assault will give players achievements, rewards, and medals in a balanced environment to further encourage players to move forward in the game. Players from around the world will battle in persistent-style online campaigns for ultimate faction supremacy across a virtual representation of the Earth.

SEGA moving onto the PC market with a game that isn't a shitty Sonic port? Awesome. Now let's hope Petro will step up and deliver the goods after the somewhat 'meh' Empire at War.

Last edited by Arikado on Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To be fair, Sega worked with Sports Interactive and did Football Manager. That's been very popular and could be considered a damn good start in the PC market.
I personally do hope this is an improvement on EaW, it certainly looks very good but the name is a bit crap and it seems to heavily borrow from War of the Worlds with the Tripod-esque units. Fingers crossed, though.

Arikado
Jumpjet Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing Mere exaggeration. It's true, SEGA has been publishing PC games that aren't ports, like the Total War series recently.

The generic name has to go, but, hey, at least the aliens aren't bugs. And there isn't any excessive bloom!... yet. -__-

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Supreme comander rip-off

Cadre
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Universe at War? Wow, lack of imagination much...

Tyler Adams
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cadre wrote:
Universe at War? Wow, lack of imagination much...

At least it isn't Universal of War..

"Banned" RP here

friday-13th
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks like frank kleppacki has another job with audio...gonna look forward to this 1 lol

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
Oshog
General

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Look at some screenshots - you actually see the human tanks ripping holes into the alien vehicles. I am looking forward to this game.

Arikado, why do you find EaW "meh". I think the game is simply grand, especially when compared to other SW-themed strategies.

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I played EaW, and it was meh simply because it was Star Wars. I got bored of it within minutes.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Red Dragon
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IcySon55 wrote:
I played EaW, and it was meh simply because it was Star Wars. I got bored of it within minutes.

Same here.

I think SEGA is near it's end. Every Sonic game is turning out in a deception. Maybe time to say goodbye to Sonic and hello new market with orignal things?

_->TF:ADW mod player<-_
Red Dragon

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Arikado
Jumpjet Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gosho wrote:
Arikado, why do you find EaW "meh"?

• Space Battles: 2.5d with 'mountain' restrictions (killer fog lolz). This is Homeworld: Ultra Lite for Dummies.
  • Balancing: Infantry taking multiple AT-AT fire? 1 Imperial anti-air unit?
  • Rebel Imperialliance: Screw diplomacy and everything we stand for, we'll take on the galaxy by force!
  • Epic Land Battles!: with 20 units on the field.
  • Frank Klepacki: mimicking John Williams! Now you can't distinguish between him and the 30 year old music.
  • Timeline: Yes, its nice to use an overpowered Vader, but do we really need to go over this time period again?

And probably some other crap I have forgotten or don't want to remember.

Red Dragon wrote:
I think SEGA is near it's end.

Haha. What?
Quote:
Every Sonic game is turning out in a deception.

You can blame Sonic Team of America for crap like Shadow the Hedgehog and the 360/PS3 Sonic game.
Quote:
Maybe time to say goodbye to Sonic and hello new market with orignal things?

Because Sonic is the only thing that SEGA has, right?
Maybe Nintendo should follow and stop churning out Mario, Metroid, Zelda and Pokemon games. Rolling Eyes

Red Dragon
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Arikado wrote:

[...]
Quote:

Maybe Nintendo should follow and stop churning out Mario, Metroid, Zelda and Pokemon games. Rolling Eyes

Those are still bestsellers, but I have to admit that they aren't original anymore. They're still the standard games for nintendo. Well except Pokemon, that's still crap and it will stay crap...

Red Dragon

Suiseiseki
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Red Dragon wrote:
Arikado wrote:

[...]
Quote:

Those are still bestsellers, but I have to admit that they aren't original anymore. They're still the standard games for nintendo. Well except Pokemon, that's still crap and it will stay crap...

I beg to differ, pokemon is one of the most addicting and fun games I've ever played.
Also define original for me. Nothing's original any more as everythings been done. Rolling Eyes

Red Dragon
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With original in this context I mean: original in the way the concept is used. (well maybe, it's crap what I'm saying here, 'cause I can't find the right words for it and it's difficult to describe)

These games aren't 'original' anymore, 'cause the concept is being reused with litlle improvements. Literraly, there are being 'milk out' (that's how the Dutch would say)

And pokémon, maybe the first game was ok, but after that, the game were more the same, if you understand me.

Red Dragon

Suiseiseki
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Red Dragon wrote:
With original in this context I mean: original in the way the concept is used. (well maybe, it's crap what I'm saying here, 'cause I can't find the right words for it and it's difficult to describe)

These games aren't 'original' anymore, 'cause the concept is being reused with litlle improvements. Literraly, there are being 'milk out' (that's how the Dutch would say)

And pokémon, maybe the first game was ok, but after that, the game were more the same, if you understand me.

I don't personally give two shits if a game uses the same gameplay formula as an older one - I care about enjoyment.
Mario, Pokemon, Zelda etc. all keep me entertained. There's a reason there's so many of the games - people still enjoy to play that type of game with those characters.

Red Dragon
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Carnivean wrote:
Red Dragon wrote:

I don't personally give two shits if a game uses the same gameplay formula as an older one - I care about enjoyment.
Mario, Pokemon, Zelda etc. all keep me entertained. There's a reason there's so many of the games - people still enjoy to play that type of game with those characters.

well, I give a litlle bit. If a concept/gameplay is used over and over that would bore me.

But I have to admit that I still like to play Zelda Smile

Red Dragon

Mr. Pokey
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I still love Mario and Zelda, and often play both, no matter how old. The games are just great.
I only ever played Pokemon on the gameboy, and it was good when I was younger, but I remembered getting bored trying to level up the stupid things #Tongue

Organised Rules.ini by Judeau

Elerium-155
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd respect EAW if they went along the darker Star Wars concept of the New Republic books and the conquest of the genocidal Yuuzhan Vong throughout the Star Wars galaxy. I mean who couldn't resist playing a game like this:

'The death toll over the known galaxy that resulted from the invasion was estimated at about 365 trillion sentients. That would be equal to 60,800 Earth-type worlds with a population of 6 billion each.'

At the moment it's just.. Empire vs Rebels, which is boring because we've seen them fight for god-knows how long. And then we get an evil genius crossbreed between what looks like Arthas and Yuri coming out from nowhere in true Westwood style and raising his own army to declare war on the Star Wars galaxy.

I'm up for new concepts already.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Zann Coonsortium? You mean Yuri for the EaW? I thinks it's one of the bests sides... hey - they even got space boomers #Tongue

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum