Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:40 am
All times are UTC + 0
[YR] Oasis [2]
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
truefeel
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject:  [YR] Oasis [2] Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all.

I'm a long time mapper; some may know me from ROTS; I made a map for Holy Master. I just finished making maps that can be released publicilally.

Before I go deeper into this map, I first wanna say that my maps are NOT made for battles vs. AIs. I made them clearly for online battles and the AI is just too dumb to the necessary things needed on those maps.

About the map:

Oasis is a small desert theatre map and is very small. It's a soviet map and is ment for fast games. Each player starts with an ore field nearby and fpr each 2 extra ore fields on the nearby cliffs. In the middle, there are gems for on long run. The one who gets those first is normally winner. Now: getting and securing them is not easy. You need to basewalk exact over the cliffs to reach it and gettying an ore refinery right next to it (pictures are included to give you an idea about it).
There are also 2 oil derricks half walled (so you don't need to shoot through the walls to get the engi in it), 1 for each player.

I also inserted anti-cheat tags in the map Smile.

minimap:

some ingame screenies:

Don't forget to check back in about a couple of hours when I upload the second map Smile.

oasis2.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  oasis2.zip
 Filesize:  60.3 KB
 Downloaded:  928 Time(s)

oasisRA2.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  oasisRA2.zip
 Filesize:  57.78 KB
 Downloaded:  612 Time(s)

Last edited by truefeel on Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Use thumbnails.

And yes, great map! Smile Five out of Five.

truefeel
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Only one man who posted here ? that can be better IMO.

truefeel
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

*bump* I want again replies on this one, b/c it has the possibility (a small chance I have to say) to become an OFFICIAL Quick Match map on XWIS (talked to Olaf)

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I Like it.

Some parts look unatural, but yet again, so do alot of maps on RA2 and YR. Rolling Eyes.

Nice Job, if i had my YR working i'd download. Wink

truefeel
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

could you say which parts are unnatural ?

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its just the symetry really... Some of the cliffs look a little straight too...

These can all just be simple fixed by changing the cliffs a little.
But still it is a very good map.
To be honest, the best desert map i've seen in ages. Razz

truefeel
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, that's not so easy as you think. You need to be able to basewalk up the cliff from your base and basewalk back down at middle.

Though some very small changes on it is possible. I'll have a look on it.

Well, yeah. It will always be a good map. But I always strive to get them near perfect. Hence why I need such feedback as this Razz.

Some more people who could take a quick examine on it ? You know the reason Razz .

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

truefeel wrote:
*bump* I want again replies on this one, b/c it has the possibility (a small chance I have to say) to become an OFFICIAL Quick Match map on XWIS (talked to Olaf)
The day Olaf and Strike-Team make non symmetrical maps offical on XWIS will be the day I smile. XWIS is too catered to the noob rushers who only play bland symmetrical maps. I'd like to see you try to make a non-symmetrical map and get Olaf to accept it. But anyhow, I like this map...lighting is good.

truefeel
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
The day Olaf and Strike-Team make non symmetrical maps offical on XWIS will be the day I smile. XWIS is too catered to the noob rushers who only play bland symmetrical maps. I'd like to see you try to make a non-symmetrical map and get Olaf to accept it. But anyhow, I like this map...lighting is good.

Well, rushing is not a bad thing. When you get rushed, it is your own fault of not making units to fend it of (the counter rush theory: the only thing a rush can counter is an other rush).

The reason why there are mostly symmetrical maps, is that it is hard to balance non-symmetrical maps (and even then westwood managed to screw up the balance on 90% of the symmetrical maps). But yes, I do agree non-symmetrical maps can be more fun, if they are balanced. The one made by Squidinator is a very,very good non-symmetrical map for instance.
And I do consider making one, when I have time. Reasons why I always make symmetrical maps is because that my mapping style is to work around a center and because I'm a balance freak.

truefeel
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I updated the map; right side apperently was able to basewalk faster to mid.

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the lighting seems..kinda flat. Neutral adding some inviso lamp posts to subtle accent like the gem/ore fields. even the water. which a blue lamp would make it seem like an Oasis, the focal point of them map eh?

truefeel
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I could, I could. But remember that it could increase lag+ peops need to be able to basewalk; invisible lamps can seriously block the roads.

But it is possible. certainly with the ore fields, b/c I cna just then place them on top of the ore drills.

Apex
General

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mainly use inviso lamps in indestructable objects(rocks, ore spawners, icebergs, ect.).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
truefeel
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, I'm now busy doing it. It will take a bit more time then just placing them, b/c I also need to mod the lightning to get them more suitable with the lightning for the map.

truefeel
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, I made some varation in the lightning. What do you guys think of it ?

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Much, much better.

Hate that blocky lighting.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ARGH IT BURNS!!!

Woah, thats pretty bright around the oasis, may i recomend toning it down a little?

truefeel
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@El D34dlyto:

the blocky lightning is something I can not fix. It's the crappy game engine or the tiles which make it so blocky

@Nods Viper:

Duh; it was only a try out; I will descrease the intensitivity of the lightning

Elerium-155
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Put some animals in there too, near the Oasis.

truefeel
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Placing animals is not going to do much IMO. It is btw designed as a tourny map.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon