Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:01 am
All times are UTC + 0
Tiberium's REAL name... [Spoiler]
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Alex06
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject:  Tiberium's REAL name... [Spoiler]
Subject description: "Ichor"
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DIALOGEVENT:MAA1_AlienAI05subtitle
"*ALIEN AI: Ichor concentration in this area is extremely low and contained. Construct Growth Accelerators at each Ichor field to increase its spread."
END

This is from the cnc3.str file I extracted from the demo .big files.

"In Greek mythology, ichor (Greek ἰχώρ) is the mineral that is the Greek gods' blood, sometimes said to have been present in ambrosia or nectar. When a god was injured and bled, the ichor made his or her blood poisonous to mortals." - Wikipedia

See the obvious link to the name "Tiberium" in there? :p

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting discovery. It's a pity that they've jumped from bible to greek mythology Laughing.

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh no, EA have now given tiberium a real name!

Ichor Incursion for the next game title?

Unless the aliens simply believe in the ancient greek gods *now that makes morse sense* Neutral

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rolling Eyes Westwood would have given Tiberium a real name if the Scrin were in C&C3 anyways... It would make no sense for the Aliens to usea Human coined term like Tiberium. And anyways...tis just a name, nobody is going to fret over it when in the middle of a battle.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Desu: it would make no sense for the humans to even understand the alien language. That way we don't need any "real" name...

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yes, greek mythology being used by Scrin. Yeah.

And just for the record, ἰχώρ is pronounced Ihor, not ichor.

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually this ties into more of the ancient mythology links of CNC.

After my apologies towards CNCVK I've release everyone has different viewpoints but no ones is specially correct.

On more interesting note, didn't know the stealth tansk original name was ezekiel's wheel which made ezekiel "disappear"

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Suiseiseki
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow they change the its look behaviour and its name. Kudos to them. Rolling Eyes

Elerium-155
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well on part I agree with them, why would the aliens use the name dubbed by humans?

Cadre
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
Interesting discovery. It's a pity that they've jumped from bible to greek mythology Laughing.

Technically Nod is based off the Bible. Tiberium isn't Nod, it's Scrin.

Elerium-155 wrote:

Well on part I agree with them, why would the aliens use the name dubbed by humans?

What if the Scrin were on earth before, say in the bronze age where our tiny minds would have perceived them as Gods. Seeing as the Scrin are Tiberium based, they'd be toxic to humans, which would make sense that they would try to stay away (Perhaps atop a huge mountain?). And what if one of them was injured while on earth? Their blood would be toxic to us, and what if they said Ichor as either a curse to being injured or to tell the simple minded humans what happened and the name stuck.

You know, some of the stuff EA is doing makes a lot of sense if you guys would just stop to think about it instead of going "O Noes! EA is ztyping up CnC again".

Mr. Pokey
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

True, but a lot of what they're doing makes no sense.

Organised Rules.ini by Judeau

Suiseiseki
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Elerium-155 wrote:

Why would they use a human term again then? Ichor isn't a scrin word now is it. They're aliens for fuck sake! Not the ancient Greeks. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Technically Nod is based off the Bible. Tiberium isn't Nod, it's Scrin.

And as stated technically the Scrin are aliens, not the Ancient greeks. I doubt aliens would use Greek terminology - especially when they've got their own alphabet and language.

Elerium-155
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Theory, maybe the aliens appeared to the early humans and used Greek and we coined their language as 'Greek'?

Of course, they have their own alphabet, just that the processes remain the same. Personally I don't mind this.

But being based around God/slight Jewish would have been better, knowing that Kane was banished to the land of Nod by God (the Scrin?), in which Nod could have been Africa (due to the Nod-like Egyptian aspects and due to the fact it was set up in Egypt 2000 years ago as far as GDI sources tell).

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Like Cadre said, what if the ones known as Gods in C&C(3) -EA's story 'll most likely differ from Westwood Vegas' story, but this could be the case in one of the stories- are actually Scrin?
I don't think it's very far-fetched for people to see the Scrin as God, seeming the Scrin would be doing -to humans at the time- God-like things.

Tiberium could actually be a Scrin invention (rather than some kind of plant that happen to grow at their planet) and it could be named after the person who invented it: Ichor (an alien perceived as a God on earth by the ancient Greeks).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually it makes sense, Greek and other more ancient languages are often used when translated between languages. (Laughing like alien languages are translated everyday)
Besides EA can't just make up a new language for aliens, first of all it's impossible. Second, how could people read it, eh?
@Bittah: That is true. Ichor was actually the name of an important Greek figure (, of whos importance escapes me).

Anyway, it's just a game, not reality, so do not stress about it. Detailing a story as thus, could stretch to infinity.

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
What if the Scrin were on earth before, say in the bronze age where our tiny minds would have perceived them as Gods. Seeing as the Scrin are Tiberium based, they'd be toxic to humans, which would make sense that they would try to stay away (Perhaps atop a huge mountain?). And what if one of them was injured while on earth? Their blood would be toxic to us, and what if they said Ichor as either a curse to being injured or to tell the simple minded humans what happened and the name stuck.

One problem with that theory - in proto Greek and Greek culture, gods are anthropomorhic or are forces of nature (for instance Hera is portayed as a board, Hermes as a bunch of stones, Zeus as an oak etc.) No giant insects in uber space ships.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm... Holograms #Tongue

That actually would make sence if the Scrin were trying to make the humans think they were Gods on purpose.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Oshog
General

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, I was not clear enough - the antropomorpic belief of gods looking like humans comes at a much, much later time - during the Hellinistic period, which followed Alexander the Great's conquest of the known world. And we have written history since then - no gods.

Before that - myths etc., but the gods are either unseen or are objects as said above.

And just a reminder - EA got the Ihor name totally wrong.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I loled and cryed...
Maybe aliens would call each other greek names?

Suiseiseki
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Anyone saying Scrin could have been perceieved as Gods in the past...

If the aliens were to trick the Greeks into beleiving they were Gods they have no need for invasion at a later point in time they could have simply helped the greeks take control of the planet and had utter submission to them.
Also due to the very nature of Tiberium - it would have probably have been spread across the planet in the ancient past if the scrin had actually been there.

Alex06
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, there are reasons behind this, but I'd be spoiling you the game if I told you.

[spoiler]:
However, what I'll tell you is there's not just the Scrin. There is another Alien race.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alex06 wrote:
Actually, there are reasons behind this, but I'd be spoiling you the game if I told you.

However, what I'll tell you is there's not just the Scrin. There is another Alien race.

and that race is the Trojans and worms!

Rolling Eyes

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alex06, tell me the reasons. I don't really care what EA put in the stupid game - everything is just so...wrong.

Suiseiseki
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alex06 wrote:

PM related info then? It will still likely be utter crap designed purely to allow for more games.

Cadre
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another Alien Race? Well that's just plain stupid...

Suiseiseki
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cadre wrote:
Another Alien Race? Well that's just plain stupid...

Well obviously, they need multiple alien races for their first add on pack 'Command and Conquer: Amazin' Alienz'

Blaat85
Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Obviously, some people prefer to not know everything before playing the game so please keep your spoilers to yourself or post big "spoiler" letters or something around it Rolling Eyes

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Meh, seeming it's EA's story anyway, I couldn't care less. There are plot holes in every single C&C where EA had a say about the story.
Aside from the plot holes, the stories EA made up were also cheesy and not serious (like it was meant for 8 year olds). Just look at Red Alert 2 and Generals (and if you ask me also everything we've seen so far from C&C3).
Because of this I know EA's story won't be anywhere near as interesting and serious as the stories of the C&C's that were developed by Westwood Vegas (RA, TD and TS).
EA can't even make up a propper name for C&C3 (Tiberium Wars), let alone a story.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum