Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:53 am
All times are UTC + 0
How to make an alternate scenario in campaign progression?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Haruka
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject:  How to make an alternate scenario in campaign progression? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why should I be content with modding only one map, if I could control the whole campaign, Mr. FA2?

Yeah, I met another difficulty in campaign progression. I wanna some effect like this:
Generally the story line will be played from GDI01.map to GDI02.map, then GDI03.map, then GDI04.map.... But if I destroyed a particular structure or unit or something similar in GDI01.map, the story line will be switched to GDI02_Alt.map rather than GDI02.map. And then GDI03.map...In one word, I wanna an alternate scenario.

I've found that there are NextScenario= and AltNextScenario= existed in [Basic] section in a map file. But I don't know how to use them while it seems that the campaign progression is controlled by mapselmd.ini...

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

obsolete from TS days as global triggers no longer properly work ..

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Major Paine
Medic

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Globals don't work!? Shocked When did this happen? I was just about to start messing around with globals.
Did they remove them, or did Westwood just pull another hard code/ini screwup?

Haruka
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Allied General wrote:
obsolete from TS days as global triggers no longer properly work ..

Then what should I do to make an alternate scenario? Any other solutions?

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hope for a Rock Patch edit of the exe, that will include alternative scenarios.

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Globals do work, but are not saved in a save file and so are forgotten across saves. I'm not even sure how alternate scenarios worked in TS, is there even an example of your actions in mission changing the next mission (rather than simply getting a choice of missions)?

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

in TS it's listed under "Basic"

TS ftw

next scenario.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  107.84 KB
 Viewed:  8800 Time(s)

next scenario.png

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Blade: GDI 9B "Destroy Chemical Supply Station", if you capture the train, you get 9C "Mine the Power Grid" which is never on the mission selection map, otherwise you get 9D "Destroy Chemical Missile Plant". As far as I can tell this is done by a trigger action 28,0,1 "Set Global #1, <Alternate Next Scenario>" .

Last edited by John Galt on Sat May 12, 2007 4:49 am; edited 3 times in total

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very interesting, I wonder if the code for it is still in RA2... might have a play about with that. I'll have to have a look at how the TS mapsel file is made up as well.

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems it doesn't work in YR, at least in RPCE #52. However it seems that saving of global variables to the save file between missions now works correctly so actions in one mission can affect things in subsequent missions.

Haruka
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I suddenly found out a question: where are the global variables saved into? SAV files?
If they are indeed in the save files, then there will be a problem. If I set a global variable in the 1st mission, and this global variable is taking effect in the 2nd mission, such as deciding whether I can win this mission. Then I play the game, complete the 1st mission, then the variable is saved into SAV file, then I continue the mission, game reads the SAV file, and find the global variant was set, then I win. Everything is fine. But if I don't play the 1st mission, the SAV file will not exist. The global variable will not be recorded either. Then I click the mission selection button RP recently provided, and directly skip into the 2nd mission, then the game can not get the variable, then I will NEVER win!!!

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you use a global variable, then the value for the variable is saved across missions so doing something in mission one can allow something to happen in mission 2+. This always worked, but if you saved the game and then reloaded it, the game would forget the global was set and so the effect you were supposed to get didn't work (in your example you can't win the mission). If you use battlemd.ini to skip a mission where a global is set, then you will not get the effect in the mission you skipped to because the global will not get set. The global isn't saved in the sav file as such, its held in memory as the game progresses. The sav files are snapshots of the game state at a certain moment in play and as such the value of the global should be saved in them to be reloaded along with all the other trigger and game state information. However until RP 1.09 (or RPCE) this didn't happen so globals only worked if you played a campaign in one go without a save/reload inbetween.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One more reason to play TS and not RA2 #Tongue

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Major Paine
Medic

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, the game cache's the global in the RAM? Feck!#Cussing out That is a serious hard code problem... I had some good ideas with globals, too...
I haven't played TS campaign too much. Could you skip levels you had beaten, or did your save state literally mark where you were in the missions? If so, try disabling the ability to skip missions and save the global in the save file... That might work. The only question then would be:
How would one go about making globals save to the .sav file?Confused

m666
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course. Because something as simple as alternate missions makes TS SO much more better than YR.

TS is a lovely game and all, if you're a story lover. Gameplay wise, it's got nothing on YR. There are actual battles in YR, not those silly hit and run operations, unless you count Titan or Reaper spam. Quite honestly, I think the tiberium storyline makes no damn sense, and don't even care for the story in RA2. It's the gameplay that counts, and RA2 provides.

Not to mention that YR has more mods (finished), more maps, a reliable modding patch (RP no longer recons), and a decent server. Go try to have more than one person in a TS game on a GOOD day for the server. It doesn't work.

Back ontopic, the save files just let you pickup at the beginning of the mission you got to. Has nothing to do with marking your place in the mission. The global variables were used to unlock the alternate missions, as it's been said before. They don't skip levels, or anything like that.

View user's profile Send private message Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Major Paine wrote:
So, the game cache's the global in the RAM? Feck!#Cussing out That is a serious hard code problem... I had some good ideas with globals, too...
I haven't played TS campaign too much. Could you skip levels you had beaten, or did your save state literally mark where you were in the missions? If so, try disabling the ability to skip missions and save the global in the save file... That might work. The only question then would be:
How would one go about making globals save to the .sav file?Confused

What are you talking about, everything that happens in the game goes through the ram, if you turn off without saving then all your progress is lost, not just the globals. In YR they just don't get saved if you save the game so when you reload the game has forgotten they were ever set. You couldn't skip levels in TS either, if you didn't save before quitting the game it was back to the start for you. I believe they do work in the original RA2 as they are used to determine if you destroyed certain buildings that reappear in a later level.

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm, so are you saying this still works?

Haruka
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As far as I learned from Blade, globals are still work, as long as you never exit the campaign. Because globals are not saved...

Curse it! I really hope this can be fixed in RP in the next version... I believe globals can bring me another wonderful world...

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haruka has got it mostly right, in YR, the globals work as he describes. However RP has already fixed the Globals being saved (I've tested it). The logic to go to an alternate mission still doesn't work though, but you can change what happens in a mission based on what you did in previous ones.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon