Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Bump Dumping
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1 [26 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Muldrake
Supreme Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject:  Bump Dumping
Subject description: Muldrak0rz h4z g0n3 m4d!!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its nice to know, that most of you have appreciated my moderating efforts recently, and hopefully you've seen signs of improvement here, I have, and I am pleased.

That said, I've had a lot of mixed opinions from people regarding my latest moderating "stunt"; Crapping several big bumps from the past.

I've had people ask me, what the hell am I doing, why did I do it, and why did I do it the way I did? So I'll explain it here.
Also, I've toned down the main news post, due to being reminded that there is *this* section for the local, PPM related news, rather than using a news post for it.

So.. Why did I do it?

Well, some recent things triggered me off with the belief that, while the bumps existed, some of the ..special.. members of PPM would have something to keep a hold of. So I went on a mission to remove them. Admittedly, my original mission was only against Gufu's "Uber Bump", as it was the only one I knew of. But I had to search for it manually, and upon my searches, I came across many others, some from just n00bish foolery, while others from the apparent bump competition that went on.

Why did I do it like I did?

Well I crapped each topic, and locked it, so people could see what had been done, but couldn't spamfest it up even more by replying. I replied to the key ones, just so they'd show up more noticably. Although, some of my replies brought up a lot of complaints, so I removed them. And with that, they just remained old topics which were locked, which then got cleaned by the crap forum system, thus, they have poofed forever. Even though I did want them to be seen for a while.

Why did I want them to be seen for a while?

Because I wanted to send across the message to particular people, that just because you got away with something in the past, doesn't mean you would get away with it now. Those bumps should never have remained there. Although they are old now, they had no place in this forum, and they needed to be removed.
I also did the news post to draw people's attention to it, as well giving an area to talk about it, outside of those topics.

Will I be cleaning up all of the crap from ye old times?

No, those were just a one off. To me, I saw those as the biggest icons of the n00bish past PPM has had. I have no desire nor will power to go through the entire forum to give it a spring clean, don't worry about that!

Will I be killing bumps from now on?

If its not supposed to be there, I'll try and make sure it isn't there after a round of moderation from me. It'd be nice if, instead of you guys replying to the bumped topic, just PM me, and I'll fix it. If someone posts an actual reply to a topic after a bump, it makes it hard for me to remove it without people complaining about me removing legitimate posts..
Help me, help you guys out.

I also want to apologise for my apparent attitude during the latest bump dump, as it has apparently got the wrong side of several people here. I just wanted to appear strong in this matter, because in the end, I just want this place to be a good, clean, spam free place.

Titan
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't worry, people of authority usually have this problem of not being admired by the people set straight. Laughing

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about attitude so much, but then again, it's your choice. Smile

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a "report post" button could come in handy.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Erg, Muldrake, what did i tell you the other day, ignore the ignorant pricks that roam this forum, do your job and get rid of them. You do a bloody awesome job around here so dont take it to heart.

Alexander C Bukington
Grenadier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

why the hell do you care so much about bumping topics. Dont you have other priorities besides such trivial things?

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you remind me of a comedian I once watched on comedy central. He would squash cockroaches and then leave the dead bodies out on the floor "as an example to the others".

Muldrake
Supreme Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I care, because it was from a time, when people would go against the rules, and could get away with it. And would then brag about it.
Its not what I want here. I want this place to be a nice place to be, but at the same time, people shouldn't run amock, and disrespect others. Rules are rules, they're there for a reason.
And what I did, wasn't just for the fact they were bumps, but what it would apparently stand for.

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Repot button would be great!

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Report button is a PM with the topic link. You can do that manually without effort..

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TBH I don't think muldrake is strict enough. Smile

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
Report button is a PM with the topic link. You can do that manually without effort..

Report post link. Single click, no copy/pasting links, faster, directs the mods to the exact post instead of the entire thread. Overall it's better than a PM, but if adding it is that difficult then PM is fine.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Rico
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm confused, from what I've read there is nothing in the rules against replying to an old topic, heck I remember reading that it was allowed as long as it was on topic Confused

Can someone please clarify this?

I dont want to get a ban or warning for simply replying to a topic that one person may have thought is 'too old'

Thanks for clarifying it,
Rico

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are correct in assuming that bumps which 'ADD' to the topic at hand are perfectly fine, and therefore, not bumps.

Bumps that do not add any useful insight at all, are bad. They get deleted.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Rico
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thankyou Smile

Crash
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TSHyper wrote:
Erg, Muldrake, what did i tell you the other day, ignore the ignorant pricks that roam this forum, do your job and get rid of them. You do a bloody awesome job around here so dont take it to heart.

I totally agree. Is it so hard keeping an old topic rest in peace? Rolling Eyes

Alexander C Bukington
Grenadier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"I care, because it was from a time, when people would go against the rules, and could get away with it. And would then brag about it.
Its not what I want here. I want this place to be a nice place to be, but at the same time, people shouldn't run amock, and disrespect others. Rules are rules, they're there for a reason.
And what I did, wasn't just for the fact they were bumps, but what it would apparently stand for."

I still think if you are so bothered by this then you should seriously spend some time away from the site and reassess your life.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dont you start again!

Leave Muldrake alone, he does a good job!, Im sure everyone else here agrees with me...

Us members who have been here for some time all share the same views. But its twats that go around bumping and making topics about stupid, brain dead things that would not take 1 millisecond to look at and work our for yourself.

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I secont that opinion TS Hyper, Muldrake is doing a great job. But there is more here than one man can handle. Common sence reign supreme on forums like these yet a minority dont seem to get it.

Alexander C Bukington
Grenadier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow there really is a common mentality around here...

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alexander C Bukington wrote:
wow there really is a common mentality around here...

The common mentality, is that we value our time here with the intelligent part of the community. N00bs are an annoyance, that is finally being dealt with properly. If you don't value your time here, then kindly leave.

Most if not all of the respectable members DO indeed have lives outside of PPM. Anyone that doesn't has serious problems. If you think Muldrake spends countless hours moderating here, you're very wrong, because that's not the case, not in the least.

You're complaining about a moderator doing a good job for the members that enjoy communicating on this forum. That's a very twisted view, or, you just don't value your own time here at all.

Reassess yourself and the facts before you tell a moderator to get a life.

Titan
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I still think if you are so bothered by this then you should seriously spend some time away from the site and reassess your life.

Ahhww gawd...

Perhaps you should understand what you're talking about instead of throwing around random crap.

The staff wants PPM to be a respectable site, something they've managed to do pretty well so far. Now, look at things like the EA forums, I wouldn't say the quality over there is any good. Why? People think they can say whatever they like, how often they like and in response to whatever posted before. That means the EA forums are a spammy shit hive and that is why there is a difference between some friendly funnyness and bland crappy messages. People'll always try to go further. That's a fact.

And because they don't want to have to root out the problem later, they act swiftly and ruthlessly.

If you want to go and cry like a little baby about the fact some people are using up their free time to keep PPM the useful place they want it to be, then please shut the freck up.

Thank you. Have a nice day! Smile

Muldrake
Supreme Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"I care, because it was from a time, when people would go against the rules, and could get away with it. And would then brag about it."

Although the events were in the past, the bragging would still occur now. So to solve the bragging, the past was erased. Simple. Einstein did it, why can't I?

I'm at university, working on a degree to earn more money than you probably ever will.
I'm working on a community to which I have spent many a year here, and to which I like coming to. I have put a lot of time and work into this place, a choice to spend some of my free time here. I've created mods, learning new skills in coding, as well as developing artistic skills, and webpage skills. Working on mods, developing ideas helps me think, and develop my opinions on how to work with things, improve things, and see things from particular perspectives.
The webpage I did here, as well as some of the coding experience helped me get a summer job inbetween years at uni, so I'd say this place is giving me something back as well.

I also do *have* a social life outside of this place.. I live with 4 maniacs student housemates, who are great, and to anyone who has seen me on facebook, may see several pictures to confirm that.

Overall, I'd say I'm pretty happy with what I'm doing. Sure, I get stressed, we all do, but I do what I do, out of choice, because I want to. And I do not need someone like you to tell me what to do in my life.

And thank you to the others who stood up for me here, it means a lot.

Rico
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TSHyper wrote:
Dont you start again!

Leave Muldrake alone, he does a good job!, Im sure everyone else here agrees with me...

I second that! Very Happy

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I sense lock comming up... unless someone really has something to add to this discussion...

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good you got here before i could go further. Muldrake, pple like these are the real problem facing PPM. If you like i could give you a mental list of all pple similar to this one, Though some of them probably wont come back for a long time.

Muldrake
Supreme Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm just going to lock it, because its clear that it was going into the one direction of being targetted at me. Alex, if you're going to start an arguement, at least back it up with something rather than random mutterings with no meaning.

And as much as I liked the defense, there is defense, and then there is leading to a flame war, which only brings people down a level, which isn't a good way to go.

Cleaned and locked. Guys, don't let people drag you down to their level.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1 [26 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon