Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Should PPM Support Tiberium?
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [70 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next

Should PPM Support Tiberium? How?
Yes, with full support (Editing, Tutorials, Hosting, News)
43%
 43%  [ 32 ]
Yes, with basic support (Editing, Hosting, News)
13%
 13%  [ 10 ]
Yes, only with News.
25%
 25%  [ 19 ]
No, PPM should stay only with RTS games.
17%
 17%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 74

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject:  Should PPM Support Tiberium?
Subject description: The community says and we'll follow it...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Should PPM support the recently announced Tiberium game? Yes or no? And, if yes, how should it be done. Replied feedback will be taken in consideration. Here's the options:

-> Yes, with full support: Editing forums, tutorials, research, maps, mod hosting, mod coverage and game coverage.
-> Yes, with basic support: Editing forums, mod hosting, mod and game coverage.
-> Yes, just with News: Mod and game coverage.
-> No, it doesn't make sense to support it at all.

Remember that, when we support a game, we naturally reduce support for other already supported games, since I am a human and I have limits. So, choose wisely.

(I am curently only doing mod and game coverage).

Wiziwig
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stick with just news updates. As much as I'd like to see a forum dedicated to modding the game, I'd rather see more stuff about TS.

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mod and game coverage...

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tiberium = best game ever. full support plz.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know really. PPM doesn't support Renegade, so why should it support Tiberium... Also, PPM is mainly a RTS modding community.
On the other side, the game could become very popular...
I'd say: yes, with basic support Wink

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yea, but beyond that we're all modders and gamers, some of the RA1-RA2:YR peoples could benefit from the skills and talents of up and coming Tiberium Modders. Why exclude them just because it is a FPS.

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with dutchy on the ppm community's focus.
Only news.

n0th1ng sp3c1al
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stick with the news.... XD

Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If the game becomes popular, I think the basic support option is the best, as it will attract new modders, and as Ickus said, that could help the current community.

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'd say basic and full are virtually the same. tutorials will surface either way.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No they are not. Full has maps and researchs as well, mapping discussion, tools developped for it, etc... In the basic, we only have a simple discussion forums.

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Go for full. And hire a side-kick if you must.

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

Location: Hampshire, England. Creating RA2: Moscow's vengeance

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

go for just a sub-forum in between C&C3 and Generals in the list called C&C FPSs, and have a sub forum for Tiberium AND Renegade...

And who knows? maybe we'll attract some fresh blood for the TS and YR communities...

Elerium-155
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Judeau wrote:
I agree with dutchy on the ppm community's focus.
Only news.

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dutchy has a good point.

News.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Add a forum called other games and that will take care of things as lt. albrecht said.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This could lure in more 3D modelers...I go for news/basic support.

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Judeau, elerium, joshi, you're all not quite understanding what Dutchy said...

vOi!king ship wrote:

QFT

Von Kriplespac
General

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vOi!king ship wrote:

Quoted for Truth, and because full support is the only way to go for fresh meat..er...talent around here.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Full will only work if we really have people skilled and interested on it, which I seriously doubt that we have, at this moment.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Let's simply keep it at news - we barrely began moding CnC 3...

Mighty BOB!
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

News. If, at a future date, you change your mind (if you see enough talent and demand on the forums) you could just add the forums for it then.

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol..well that is true, if people are not going to mod Tiberium..then this discussion is done with. #Tongue

but I still think the possibility of attracting new talent, modelers and skill into this community. I know that is an inequality. Full support for "Tiberium" does not equal delicious cake..

Last edited by Ickus on Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee, PPM needs to look to the future. Yes, it's going to be hard. But you must have someone to back you and Muldrake up and also bring in new stuff. A person, who has enough time and the skill to work with this new game is needed.

Just go and look around. I'm sure you'll find someone.

Von Kriplespac
General

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mighty BOB! wrote:
you could just add the forums for it then.

Well, if we don't have it before hand, it would pretty much show 'Hey, we have no interest in this game.' to new people and...well...drive them away in some aspects.

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As the Tiberium modding community grows there is nothing wrong with supporting it. The site is project perfect mod, and doesn't restrict itself simply to the RTS genre. Being honest a new game with the amount of features and attention it will probably will recieve when launched, you can't not expect an overhaul of work to do, but I guess the more effort you put in, the more you will end up with eventually.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ehmm, ChielScape is right here. I said: basic support, not only news...

Street
Combat Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Personally I say no, I don't think it will be much diffrent gameplay wise to Battlefield 2142 which was rubbish compaired to battlefield 2. And I think renegade was more original than this. I know I won't be getting the game anyway so this is just my veiw. If im gunna play a FPS game ill stick with counter strike : source thank you very much Very Happy

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only reason I've voted to support Tiberium 100%, is because this comunity is dying. Tiberium will more than likely attract more people.

Sir Modsalot
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gufu wrote:
Let's simply keep it at news - we barrely began moding CnC 3...

QFT. My vote goes to news only.

[quote="DCoder"]There is no sanity left in this thread.[/quote]

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
Full has maps and researchs as well, mapping discussion, tools developped for it, etc...

What for?
It's the UnrealEngine.
EA will deliver the editor, and that does it all.
Mapping, scripting.

Models can be exported from 3ds max in some format (in UE2 it was ASE) and then imported to UEd again.
Same goes for everything else you'd need.

This has all nothing (yes, I mean nothing) to do with modding as we know it from C&C.
"Research" and "tools development" is completely obsolete, because by the time Tiberium is gonna get release, it's all available.

I vote for no support, it's officially not even C&C after all.

Dubzac
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"Yes, with full support (Editing, Tutorials, Hosting, News) ? "

hell yes... we need fuel for the perfect project mod so we can have even more members

Suiseiseki
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A drive to get members is nice and all but I doubt we'd see them outside of their Tiberium based forum. I say just news.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pd wrote:
Banshee wrote:
Full has maps and researchs as well, mapping discussion, tools developped for it, etc...

What for?
It's the UnrealEngine.
EA will deliver the editor, and that does it all.
Mapping, scripting.

Models can be exported from 3ds max in some format (in UE2 it was ASE) and then imported to UEd again.
Same goes for everything else you'd need.

This has all nothing (yes, I mean nothing) to do with modding as we know it from C&C.
"Research" and "tools development" is completely obsolete, because by the time Tiberium is gonna get release, it's all available.

I vote for no support, it's officially not even C&C after all.

EA delivers exporting tools only, if they do. The only tool I'd make for it is to add support for Tiberium on OS BIG Editor. That doesn't seem to cost me much.

Research seems to be obsolette, I agree and I would only make it depending on the quality of the topics seen in the editing forum.

Mapping suppport would be the 'plus' from the full support... and tutorials.

Unreal modding is totally different from SAGE and I must admit I'm not very interested to learn it or practice it.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

basic support FTW - we can up it if it realy gets popular..

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is retarded. More than half the community here can't even mod RA2 properly WITH tutorials and all the information at ModEnc...why is "full support" winning!?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
EA delivers exporting tools only, if they do. The only tool I'd make for it is to add support for Tiberium on OS BIG Editor. That doesn't seem to cost me much.

Most people don't seem to get it.
There is not going to be any BIG files or whatever.
Remember, they use the UnrealEngine, not there own.
The UnrealEngine works with packages.
Packages, which don't require any user-made tool, but just UnrealEd.

If EA does not release their version of the UnrealEditor, Tiberium can kiss my ass goodbye.
Because I'm not gonna use user-made tools if I can just mod UT3 with the editor.

Tiberium is gonna be nothing but a mod.
Take Postal 2 which is based on UE2.
It's a mod.
Even UT2004 is just a mod of the engine.
The whole game is written in UnrealScript, packages added, etc.
The binary code, the UnrealEngine, is mostly the same for all games, it just executes the scripts.

Oh, and I agree with Icy.
Many people fail editing INIs.
And then they're supposed to code UnrealScript (which is basically a variated Java)? Hell no.

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aside from the arguments about EA doing it, again, no. Why? The only really big part here is the TS community. The RA2 community is barely alive. TW and Generals are pretty much dead. No modder of Tiberium is going to want to have hosting here because the site is primarily focused on a game of an entirely different genre(rts), hell, nevermind the fact that that the other boards are pretty much dead.

Just keep what it is.... More useless boards are not a good thing.

Golan
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess starting with a basic forum for TIBERIUM modding won´t hurt. If people show interest you can expand it, if they don´t then you can still get rid of it.

Though admittedly I doubt there will be much modding going on for TIB. Vanilla UT3 offers the same/very similar possibilities and will be much more widespread.

Rebelmoon
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just don't see that many FPS modders coming to this forum for one game. And if they did, I don't see them helping that much with the current situation of bringing new talent to the RTS games. they would have to want to stop modding FPS, or at the very least, put it on hold to mod a RTS.

If we want new talent, perhaps opening the forum up to other RTS games other than only C&C games.

I say keep it at just News.

Cheers,

Rebelmoon

Tartan Bunny
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its all good saying this, but we haven't played the game, and we don't know how popular it is. Likely Cnc followers will try it, so if we put some effort into it here, we can attract more members not just for Tiberium, but for others as well.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

New poll: Who plans to actually mod tiberium?

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You don't need any damn poll, DaFool Just look at the forums for activity.

Tib Sun - alive

Red Alert 2 - Sometimes

Generals - um what

Tib Wars- Life Support

Warcraft - Killed In Action

This community is a TS community whether we like it or not(I, for one, don't.), and its a waste of Banshee's time, and bandwidth, to support a game that will get even LESS attention then the 4 games mentioned up above. I'd advocate a total shift to TS 100%, honestly, because thats what this place really is in the end. This is _not_ the place for Generals support, Not for Tib Wars, Not for RA2. Tiberium will just be more of a waste. Don't bother with these crappy polls, just look at the damn boards themselves.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I beg to argue with you on that Mei Ling. OK, RA2 ain't what it used to be, but it still is active (without any support). Just wait untill RP2 comes out...
I agree with you on Generals, nobody here cares about Generals (I even have found another forum dedicated to Generals and TW editing)...
And about TW: I say wait untill a few months after KW release. Most ppl will bgein to mod when they have a improved engine, so they don't need to change codes when putting a mod from the original game to the ExPack...
And you may be right, TS is the most active modding forum here. But to change PPM to a TS modding forum only? No. If you want that, we have 2 TibWebs instead of 1 #Tongue

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rock Patches shouldn't make a game sustainable for modding. Thats ridiculous. RA2's just dying I think. You have the TS fans who still cling, and most of the RA2 modders moved to Gens, then TW. (Sleipnir's Stuff is an example of this.) Not really because of rock patches, just because Gens and TW offer more things.

I guess the TS fans are nostalgic or something. Confused and-or lack 3d modding ability. Who knows. Who cares, RA2's still mod vacant except for like TAKTICS, X-Com and Star Strike.

Cutting Gens support (lol what) wouldn't be a bad idea, though, no? I like playing it, but if I am coming for modding advice on it, no offense, but PPM would probably be the last place I'd look unless some vets came along to PPM like the heads of Shockwave and MEC or something. We have no Generals-savvy people here, really. Maybe somebody could put the Hover Crusader back in the game with a tutorial at the most, but supporting modding of a game nobody here is 'decent' with, is just bloody silly. Nobody can offer advice except for a link to an offsite tutorial, which means the visitor likely has to register at another forum if he/she screws up using it and hope the people there are Gens-suave. Its a total runaround and a waste of our time, the visitors, and everybody involved.

Tartan Bunny
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mei Ling wrote:
I'd advocate a total shift to TS 100%, honestly, because thats what this place really is in the end.

What the f*ck. Look at Tib Web. what it is that compared to PPM? nothing Why? Because it only supports TS, TW and TD

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not really, its main downfall was the fact that it was going online, offline, online, offline, and then in the final move, many members where lost because they could not find the place.

Now, it quite lazy, dont post enough news, or get its self involved in anything.

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Getting rid of RA2? No. That wouldn't be very smart.

Generals.... is something that isn't very useful here. I wouldn't mind if it got removed.

TW is a boring game. I played it once and that lasted about 2 hours. No fun, I can't even see why people would mod it.

Tiberium dosen't seem like it would attract any talent at all. Icy is right. People can barely handle working with ini files, with tuts! You expect people to actually do UnrealScript? No. This will just bring more noobs.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

May I tell y'all that this poll is about Tiberium, not about the other games supported here... This discussion about the other games can better be held in a different topic...

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nah, its people ask too much simple questions on modding TS/RA2 in general. And modding this FPS would bring more simple questions in the process. I'm a modding veteran in TS/RA2 and have no problems in fixing bugs myself and I suggest others doing some research before asking questions. So my call is a No! For the sake of maintaining TS/RA2 modding documentation.

Quote:
Everybody knows a mod that doesn't update every ten seconds is dead.

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon