Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm
All times are UTC + 0
EA Games Spore & Mass Effect to Sport Restrictive DRM
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [45 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject:  EA Games Spore & Mass Effect to Sport Restrictive DRM
Subject description: This really sucks. Link to article included.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was just browsing the net, when I read THIS:

http://planetcnc.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=150777

I crapped myself when I read it... okay, I didn't. The article doesn't affect me that badly. Just never buy an EA game again! Ha HA, problem solved... then again, other companies could follow suite...

PUNKASSMOTHERFUUUUUUUCKERRRSSS!!!!!!!! This better just be an experiment.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, please read the following story:

http://planetcnc.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=150777

IN-GAME NAME: MAKINTOKE

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Owwow! I haven't spent my money for EA games after buying C+C: Generals Deluxe Edition and I still won't. #Tongue

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Gosho: lulz, I agree #Tongue

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

Location: Hampshire, England. Creating RA2: Moscow's vengeance

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's just being anal, I knew EA were arses but now I have proof. I suggest they cange their branding to:
EA Gays: Screw up Everything

(Can someone make a substitute EA intro video like the RA2 one but with the sounds and text changed? That'd just be so funny).

Apex
General

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And I was looking foreward to spore... And I thought Steam was bad. If my connection goes down I MIGHT consider a sketchy version of the game since I have internet off and on because of money and/or intrest in it. I bet there will be a lawsuit if they cancel the software that this game uses... EA has pulled some things out of its ass to piss people off but this just tops the ztyping cake!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Apex wrote:
I have internet off and on because of ... interest in it.

I find that statement more outrageous than EAs DRM plans.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Apex
General

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its not ME that decides if the internet stays connected, my parents pay the bills so if they dont need it, they cancel their service.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DonutArnold wrote:
@Gosho: lulz, I agree #Tongue

you're supposed to BAN him for that...

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ban who what where? And why? I didn't do anything wrong, neither did Gosho. He just reminded me to watch Pirates of the Caribbean for some ideas for TFTD. #Tongue

Apex
General

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is not link = does not compute.

Now, ho wmany days will it take for a crack anyway? Very Happy
Wait, can we still download content with the crack? :/

Er... I mean, eagerly awaiting.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EA games: Coming up with best and latest anti-piracy software that will only encourage even more piracy

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Apex
General

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Isnt that the way it usually works? "I lost my cd-key!" "Hey, this versoun doesnt need one and its free!" "Arrested..."

And wasnt your name "Captain Black" a second ago?

Arikado
Jumpjet Infantry

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gufu wrote:
Wait, can we still download content with the crack? :/

Wouldn't matter in Spore's case as it'll have pre-made stuff to populate your universe. Plus, being EA, we'll have Spore add on packs every year with more junk.
Unless you really want your universe to have an abundance of Tit/Cock/Vagina/All at once-Monsters.

All this money spent on zany, new copy protection is pretty futile though. It's only an annoyance to the paying consumer. Neutral

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Arikado wrote:
It's only an annoyance to the paying consumer. Neutral

...and I WAS going to buy Spore, but now it looks like I won't.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Sir Modsalot
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Capn' Black wrote:
EA games: Coming up with best and latest anti-piracy software that will only encourage even more piracy

The only problem I have with them is that their ass-ugly anti-piracy bullcrap in post-1.05 TW and KW that makes the game not start up after you've used Process Explorer, forcing you to either log out and back in or reboot (yes, logging out and back in works, tried it).

[quote="DCoder"]There is no sanity left in this thread.[/quote]

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First ingame advertisements with absolutly no benefit to the player....
then we're forced to have their "Ok" everytime we want to play?
Whats next?

Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IcySon55 wrote:
...and I WAS going to buy Spore, but now it looks like I won't.

I think that I'll follow your example Laughing. Probably just going to download the free creature creator demo. Though this makes the improved (complete creature creator) non-free demo version more interesting than before.

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Demo? lol...yeah, that's exactly it...lol

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OMG I HAVE TORRENTS.

WHO WANTS A TORRENT OF UNIVERSE AT WAR?
CRYSIS?
POKEMON?

don't hate cause im on dial up yo. imma have to pwn a nigga if thats the case

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's EA for us. Told ya this year was going down in a negative spiral.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If RA3 and Tiberium uses this DRM, PPM will boycott them. I'm deadly serious.

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with not supporting this type of DRM. but hopefully things will change..considering the negative effect it has generated against "sales".

but..sad that its this way. What next the Sony/BMG root kit scandal all over again?

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee, if you do that, it's a harakiri. You save your honour, but lose your site in a few years.

I'm fully supporting this decision. EA games just can't do this.

Warez and torrents exist. So do people, who rip games and upload them. EA Games or any other company CAN NOT STOP this.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What company is worse? EA for this or hasbro for having their toys be made with plastic that has lead in it and by children who are 6 years old? Thinking aboiut it, the disks are probably made by the same kids....

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well there is some what of the server goes down, French's (BioWare offical) stated they would release a patch to disable the asking the "its ok permission to play. "

I can only wonder what their response is to such knee jerk reaction against this type of protection? The original thread seemed to indicate they are still very commited to this form of DRM. in BioWare's case. I admit I did not read every page. (13) ircc.

. EA being a larger company, I can see they don't really mind losing sales just push this unpopular method of DRM into the market, which is the same one used by BioShock just updated? , but thats a gamble, lol everyone is sure quick to raise their Jolly Rogers.

Which in the eyes of corporation aka EA, they might consider that a threat,, thats all they see. especially with the lovely EA bashin'

<i>so just be careful. Especially in a post-RIAA world. #Tongue you never know who they want to sue now. ;P</i>

but best to keep open communication and gain as much facts about this issue at hand as this develops.

Its going to be pretty interesting...

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gosho wrote:
Banshee, if you do that, it's a harakiri. You save your honour, but lose your site in a few years.

I'm fully supporting this decision. EA games just can't do this.

Warez and torrents exist. So do people, who rip games and upload them. EA Games or any other company CAN NOT STOP this.

There are still TS fans visiting here and TS was made in the last milenium. While PPM could loose some popularity with this kind of move, it is totally able to survive with a fair community.

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with Banshee's previous statement.

Also: YES!!! TORRENTS ARE GIFTS, FREE GIFTS FROM GOD HIMSELF!!!

You want a videogame? Movie? Song? Album? Document? And you don't want to pay money for it, at all? Just remember this word, my friend: Torrent... oh, and also remember this word: Google...

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PPM could survive on TS alone. I mean, who the ztype mods Red Alert 2? Rolling Eyes

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Clarkson wrote:
PPM could survive on TS alone. I mean, who the ztype mods Red Alert 2? Rolling Eyes

TACTICS and TFTD!
*Crowbars Carno*

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Clarkson wrote:

Dunno, lol. Laughing

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAKTICS and TFTD. Aside from them? Lol. its Tiberian Sun city.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are two Generals , mods under development in the mod announcement page... I don't know know about dutchy, but I should be finished before the decade's over

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Errr... TS was a sample of an old game that still survives well here. Just a sample, guys... Wink

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If by survive, you mean thrive, then yes.

Tiberian Sun thrives here.

Red Alert, C&C95 = lol

Red Alert 2 is half dead. It has a few big mods. Generals is nonexistent. C&C3 is getting the occasional breeze. Though it was more active back when people were bitching about when C&C3 would be a 3D TS clone or not.

Red Alert 2 is..surviving. Generals is dead, and C&C3 is famished. We all know this, but it is continuly denied.

"There are no Generals mods in PPM!"

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PPM will survive because it is hosted at Revora.

The Revora Network is BIG, covers ALL C&C games, except for SS and there's really no TD mods or anything either. Plus, it covers BfME 1 & 2 as well as Dawn of War, and maybe a few more games.

PPM will survive.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17918

sure, Im not hosted but thats just a technicality. I am making the mod and I am a member of this site. Therefore, in my opinion the generals mod is here. (of course the mod will most likely be finished in a very very long time).

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr wrote:
PPM will survive because it is hosted at Revora.

The Revora Network is BIG, covers ALL C&C games, except for SS and there's really no TD mods or anything either. Plus, it covers BfME 1 & 2 as well as Dawn of War, and maybe a few more games.

PPM will survive.

Fail a not remembering Nyegurds epic mod.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Clarkson wrote:
If by survive, you mean thrive, then yes.

Tiberian Sun thrives here.

Red Alert, C&C95 = lol

Red Alert 2 is half dead. It has a few big mods. Generals is nonexistent. C&C3 is getting the occasional breeze. Though it was more active back when people were bitching about when C&C3 would be a 3D TS clone or not.

Red Alert 2 is..surviving. Generals is dead, and C&C3 is famished. We all know this, but it is continuly denied.

"There are no Generals mods in PPM!"

I think that an average of 700+ uniques a day is much more than just 'thrive', even if many of those people who visit the place doesn't mod TS, I'm sure there are over a hundred visitors of this site modding TS or interested on it.

Don't expect PPM to ever reach the number of visitors of a big place like IGN/GameSpot/GameSpy unless something extremely epic that shakes the whole world happens here.

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Epic, like simply allowing the OrcaTran to fly properly, land, load and unload infantry without using any 3rd part software, and using the rules.ini ONLY? lol. But that's merely a thought.

I'm pretty sure even if we boycott RA3 we'll survive...

Quote:
PPM could survive on TS alone. I mean, who the ztype mods Red Alert 2?

As the guys said TACKTICS and TFTD already...

3 ) Star Strike (YR is still RA2: YR, no? Juggers can wtfpwn everything on the ground!)
4 ) RA2: Moscow's Vengeance (What can I say...this is purely a win.)
5 ) Derelict Soil (Droke's works are pretty amazing.)
6 ) Shattered Skies (AC in an RTS.)
7 ) Global Genocide (I'm not sure, the activity's been low...)
8 ) Twisted Malice (Same here.)

Alex06
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EDIT: Oh, wait, we just won the fight.

http://kotaku.com/5008452/bioware-backs-down-from-draconian-mass-effect-authentication
http://kotaku.com/5008454/spore-to-use-online-authentication

"Despite some hand-wringing by fans, EA today announced that their hugely anticipated Will Wright game Spore will not make use of SecuROM's 10-day periodic re-authetication and instead use a modified version to require online authentication.

The announcement comes on the heels of news that Mass Effect will also be ditching the ten day re-authentication."

"The developer said the decision came after listening "very closely" to its fans and that the new system will also allow gamers to play the game without the DVD in the drive."

SW00T, this makes it even better! So the activation is now just like with software like Adobe products and Earth 2160. (But without the phone activation, though it'd be nice to have that...but then, it'd be easily pirate-able/hackable)

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lol. Guess the community's roving enough to make them change their minds.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I guess EA DOES look over internets from time to time.

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

Location: Hampshire, England. Creating RA2: Moscow's vengeance

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
RA2: Moscow's Vengeance (What can I say...this is purely a win.)

Thank you, For your act of praise I'll release some screens of a few new units and a new turret for the MBT (I got tired of the old M60/Upgraded M60 cross, you might see where the ureet originated frm before I tweaked it, or you might not...)

Stuff you might see:
Carrier
Interceptor Jet
A10
Destroyer
New Mammoth
Soviet med. Tank with bigger turret
Multiple-Rocket launcher
Tank Destroyer (OMG! Not another Light-tank based thing!!)

That is, if I can be bothered to post screens, which I will be some time today.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [45 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum