Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:33 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Walls?
Moderators: Generals Moderators, Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Shakar
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject:  Walls?
Subject description: Can it be possible?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, I've played generals for a while, I only like it's gameplay... BUT!!! Here is what I am wondering... Is it possible to add buildable walls? I know that in the game Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Earth II which uses an upgraded engine of the one Generals uses supports walls, and I was wondering... Is it possible to put that logic into Generals? It would make it more fun if it is possible. So is this possible to do, or is it impossible since the Battle ofr Middle Earth II uses a more advanced engine then Generals?

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You know, I was actually thinking about this today. There ARE walls for each faction already in Generals, they just never put them in the end product. I don't know if this is because they couldn't get it to code right or if they just decided it wasn't good enough gameplay wise.

Shakar
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm... Well, I remember playing Battle for Middle Earth II a few months ago and looking at how the walls were made, maybe it can be coded into Generals probably? It'd defiantly add to the fun of the game and might help your mod, DaFool Very Happy

ModernDayWorrier
Medic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes its possible. I made a map letting them be buildable. Unfortunately you are capable of laying an infanitly long streach of wall segments at 0 cost. So they would completely imbalance the game.

ModernDayWorrier
Medic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

heres the AOD I made with buildable walls a defence. It compensates or the fact that regular defences arent buildable.

AOD Support fire {AH TIME2KILL} r3.map
 Description:
this is the .map file. you'll need to create a directory for the map no targa image is needed.

Download
 Filename:  AOD Support fire {AH TIME2KILL} r3.map
 Filesize:  242.76 KB
 Downloaded:  146 Time(s)

Shakar
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, I'll try that in a bit... On another hand, the heck does AOD mean? I don't even play Generals online or made any good maps yet (Though I'm wanting to learn for the uniqueness).

ModernDayWorrier
Medic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AOD just means Art of Defence map. Its really meant for online play. Basically several human players go up against a specially scripted AI that sends 100's of units to attack. Its your mission to fend off the AI until some objective is complete. As far as I know my AOD is a one of a kind meaning this isnt a standard AOD map.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaFool wrote:
You know, I was actually thinking about this today. There ARE walls for each faction already in Generals, they just never put them in the end product. I don't know if this is because they couldn't get it to code right or if they just decided it wasn't good enough gameplay wise.

Because the SAGE engine has uber crappy path finding, thus units dont know what to do with walls at times.

They fixed this with the RNA, but SAGE remains poor.

ModernDayWorrier
Medic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"Because the SAGE engine has uber crappy path finding, thus units dont know what to do with walls at times.

They fixed this with the RNA, but SAGE remains poor."
No... Walls have issues with cost and placement. Walls have to cost 0 first of all, and they can be placed in an unlimited amount of sections at a time. You could make a wall that spans the whole map for free in 0 seconds.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3 developers at EA have said this to be true, thats why walls in Generals and Tiberium Wars never made gold.

Shakar
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But, how did they get it working correctly in Battle for Middle Earth II since it's using an engine that is between Generals and CnC3?

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

they got around to fixing it

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another thing about walls is that they conform with the terrain, so that one wall is up on a hill and the other is lower than it, and they arn't connected. Crappy, to be sure.

For Generals, the only thing that I could tell you to do is to create a building that simulates several pieces of the of Wall, and build them as normal buildings. I've not messed with the Generals.ini files, but Shockwave mod, among others, do this for the GLA "Trashwall" (or something like that, I can't remember its name.)

Of course, this has its own limitations, like the AI may attack it, or ignore it completely, meaning you could wall yourself in and go to town with the Air Forces or something.

JJ_
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nah, Shockwave doesn't do that.

You can put walls in, but there are too much bugs to make it worth it, like the several mentioned. The AI part is easily fixable though.

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

Location: Hampshire, England. Creating RA2: Moscow's vengeance

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

VGO lets you build a garrisonable barricade wall as a single section building, they're pretty useful for distracting AI Pattons and airstrikes...

ModernDayWorrier
Medic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"3 developers at EA have said this to be true, thats why walls in Generals and Tiberium Wars never made gold."
I dont care what you've heard. I'm telling you from experience that construction and placement are real bad issues.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there's a TW mod that adds walls, I think it cost the right amount of money. BUt considering how little walls are ever used, cutting them isn't really a big deal. It's more for like kids who don't play on the internet who like the make cooll looking bases.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dude, dont be such a ass about it.

Shakar
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Walls can actually help with base building online too... Nothing better then being able to funnel a huge army of enemy infantry to the strongest entrance of your base through walls.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon