Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:18 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Who will win the Great Map Competition?
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 2 [59 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2

Who will win the Great Map Competition?
FinalMoon
42%
 42%  [ 11 ]
RVMECH
19%
 19%  [ 5 ]
Yoshi (KrnMaPPeR)
38%
 38%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 26

krnyoshi
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="RVMECH"]
Quote:

Edit: Yoshi if you need more time that's fine by me.

Yes, plz I need more time, I've been pushed back 2-3 weeks because of problems ( #Mad ) and I need to get back to editing. I don't have an extra copy of Tib Sun but I was able to "borrow" some files from the CD itself.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
RVMECH
Civilian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Take as much time as you need little buddy Very Happy What exactly do you need to get it going?

And to ALL you citizens of the USA have a nice a Thankgiving.. you too DvD..no hard feelings.. tis too nice a holiday to spoil it over a few files=)

The DvD
TiberiumWeb.com Webmaster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sorry if you feel i have attacked you personally. To be fair it didn't feel so nice criticising you on first instance. (I don't normally do such things..) But i felt i had to. Normally i'm a very positive person. But when i think something is wrong i will point it out.

I know, you're a very good mapper. Just looking at your Generals maps is enough proof of that. BUT, i've been modding TS long enough to see through some things that, no offense, the average ts modder/player might not. I can RECOGNIZE some of your maps on TumSun as being slightly changed RMG maps. In fact, i could have posted a message that contains proof of this, along with screenshots.
When i play Springtime or FS War Thorn, i notice the good layout and fair balancing of the map, BUT, i see some weird things like unconnected LAT tiles and weird cliffs with heigh errors....

So i think, this guy, called by everyone the 'mapping god' (and to be honest i thought you were very well/too well aware of that), can make really great maps and is very good at scripting, WHY are half of his TS maps converted RMG maps while the others contains things that, IMO, could be classified as errors?? Please, if you can explain this to me, i will be satisfied. I just wanna know why.

When i look at the CNCDEN screenshots, i like the lighting, i'm impressed with the 'smoking cracks' idea, BUT i see the same errors, or what i think are errors, and i didn't hesitate to point them out. Of course, maybe i shouldn't have done so in public, as is could damage your reputation, but it's totally incomprehensible so me that OTHER people didn't point that out. Why were there no others beside SMIFFGIG that pointed out Westwoods Revenge was actually some kind of RMG map. I, honestly, don't understand.

On the moment, i'm making maps for my soon-to-be-released mod Tiberian Sun: Total War. A preview of one of the maps can be seen here:
http://ppm.cncguild.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3277
Cuz you were asking, i know the ins and outs of FinalSun. I've been modding, and mapping TS for 2 years. And i'm 17.. nearly 18.

And indeed, nice Thanksgiving to all, although i don't live in USA..
you too RVMECH, but PLEASE sent that PM or post that message that explains the things i pointed out.

BTW, i don't wanna enter this map competion, i don't feel right about since FM is out and i kinda flamed you.. so you'll have 3 weeks, still... I wish you and Yoshi succes, honestly!

The DvD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Stuck in a rut? I've seen your ideas of a good map. The last one I saw uploaded on this sight was atrocious..full of errors, bad lighting, g a y civilian staring unit ideas, and several tunnel tubes going nowwhere and serving no purpose except bloating the file........yet you thought it was excellent

btw, PLEASE explain this as i've got no idea what you're talking about, honestly...

RVMECH
Civilian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe you have a preconcieved idea about what a "cliff error" is. If you look closely at the cliff tiles in the marble mode you'll notice several red, yellow and green lines on the .tmps themselves. These signify pathfinding for the AI, also directional information for the placing of the tiles themselves. On almost all maps that i have seen made by a fan these are placed incorrectly. I was shown the proper use of these and there properties by a programmer from WW. Until DJBreit came out with a marble mix for FS few if any persons used the correct tiles. As long as the top edge has an unbroken RED line around the perimeter of the cliff top it is not INCORRECT. This will keep the harvs from the nasty habit of sticking to a cliff ridge (as long as there is no tib on it I might add). The bottom lines is used by the AI. As long as the lines line up it will serve as a path block for the AI and for level detection as well.
My stuck in a rut statement refers to what you mistakingly may or may not call an error. Using a cliff tile for a "rock" in the center of a morphable lat should not be considered an error if it enhances the map and is OBVIOUSLY placed there. Trees placed on cliff edges and\or water should not also be called errors automatically. In short..IF there aint no hole in the map, IF the units don't hang, then it is pretty hard to call picture making (which is actually all your doing) an error. My grandson makes nasty looking stick pictures for "grandpa" in his eyes and mine they are treasures, to anyone else they appear as immature drawings, to some they are error free. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I always try to find some other uses for the way a tile can be connected or used.
BTW FS does not use the autolat function properly all the time..ask Mattias. I try not to use it often. More times than not I place each shore tile and each water tile unless the water area is huge. I'm sorry about your opinions on my work but i do respect them as opinions. As to the personal attacks I did not appreciate that and accept your apology. However I have no objections to you joining in the "contest". I have finished this map and moved on to my Blitzkrieg project again. I still have no idea who the judge is or where to send my map. I guess Yoshi, Myself and possibly you will have to decide who looks at them and makes a determination.. Then we can release some mighty fine work to the public IMHO.

As to the map I was referring to...lets not hurt anyone else or carry this further.

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

phew.. alot of reading in this thread
Seems like theres alot to talk about.

Anyway this thread is going OT (TheDvd & RVMECH), however I think your posts in this thread are tottaly viable and the subject(s) could have only to start being talked about here. How can i put it "right time, wrong place"... ah well anyway im sure you get my drift.

The fact is the subject is interesting (for certainly me anyway) about your maps RVMECH, you certainly tought me a thing about pathfinding, I was not aware of that feature in Marble Madness mode and your latest TS map does look impressive but (and this is just my opinon) this does seem to be in contrast with your other TS maps.

Anyway as I said, right time wrong place. Maybe it would be interesting to carry on the subject in another thread or on MSN Messenger or something (that is if of course both parties are still equally interested in pursuing the subject) I for one wouldnt mind partaking and/or asking a few questions of my own on the subject but thats just out of personal interest.

Anyway i look forward to seeing the finished maps..... well RVMECH's
Yoshi has had Hardware probs
and i havent spoke to FinalMoon for about a month until today, when he had to rush off to do something for thanksgiving (excuse my nievity but i have no idea what this is, other than the fact its religious)

So, plenty of time to go then Wink

In the mean time good luck on both ur projects (thedvd's TS Total War and RVMECH on Blitz 2)

(excuse the moderator like post but im used to moderating TumSun forums #Tongue)

The DvD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1st, thanks RVMECH for accepting my apology.
2nd, Like SMIFFGIG i would like to talk about it but in a different way and different place. However i'm sure you must have know sooner or later somebody would point certain things out.

Now, let's go ontopic again... Banshee you should change the poll or make a new one with a new thread.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will make a new one tomorrow (I'm running out of time today)

zdflamer2
Shrapnel Sniper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RVMech u r a mapping god even if others dont think so, u know the core of mapping, u experiment with things like cliffs could be rocks, i dont think that as an error, i think that as an experiment.

this is kinda oftopic but considering u made generals maps, do u have any idea how to make AI attack in a singleplayer maps on generals maps. on one of my maps there is a chinese base and they never do anything.

thanks for the explanation of marble mode, its really helped me when designing maps and ill probably make much better maps.

if u dont know who i am

im an old tiberian sun veteran (3 years ago)

i have been creating maps for all sorts of games, C&C, Half life Counterstrike, starcraft (ages ago), emperor battle for the dune (never successful)

im the idea guy and map maker for the mod that converts generals to Tiberian twilight, tiberian twilight evolution

im also creating a campaign for TS known as attack of the clones (if anyone is wondering, it has nothing to do with star wars).

i have created a few multiplayer maps (desert storm and tiberium warlands)

Ontopic again, i still am rooting for yoshi as ive played his TS maps and they look wicked

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon