Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:36 am
All times are UTC + 0
Converting blueprints to voxel templates
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [27 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject:  Converting blueprints to voxel templates
Subject description: based off of MigEater's voxel guide
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This tutorial is based on MigEater's guide to voxelling: http://forums.revora.net/index.php?showtopic=54236&hl=life

However he didn't explain how to convert the blueprints to a voxel template as he said it was a complicated process. So I've figured how to do this on my own. So I'd like to share it.

Note: I've been doing this for a while now, the X-02 voxel was one of my work based on this blueprint template work.

Programs I'll be using:

Photoshop CS3 V.10.0
VXLSE III

EDIT: I'll add some more info later.

blueprint tutorial-1.png
 Description:
First find a Blueprint, I'll be using the Su-37 for an example, and touch up a few parts shown here and paste them as a new picture.
 Filesize:  248.84 KB
 Viewed:  47160 Time(s)

blueprint tutorial-1.png

blueprint tutorial-2.png
 Description:
After resizing, and flipping diagram around. Copy each view of the blueprint
and paste them to the corresponding views. (voxel size is X=150,Y=40,Z=100)
So thats means the top view is X=150,Y=100. Side view is: X=150,Y=40. And Front view is X=100,Y=40. wh
 Filesize:  205.69 KB

blueprint tutorial-2.png

su-37 blueprint_000.png
 Description:
Now that you got blueprints in place. Work it out from here and things began to shape up. After that add some textures and normals and you're done.
 Filesize:  109.93 KB

su-37 blueprint_000.png

su-37 blueprint.vxl
 Description:
Heres an example template for download

Download
 Filename:  su-37 blueprint.vxl
 Filesize:  210.3 KB
 Downloaded:  1030 Time(s)

Key Words: #Tutorials #Voxels #Graphics #Media #TiberianSun #Firestorm #RedAlert2 #YurisRevenge #OpenRA #VoxelSectionEditorIII #Photoshop 

Quote:
Everybody knows a mod that doesn't update every ten seconds is dead.

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

moved?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent tutorial, Groach!

Moved to the proper place.

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EDIT!! 9/2/08: Gimp version tutorial removed. Busy updating this old junk #Tongue

Quote:

Last edited by Roaches on Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Biohazard
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

is this not finished? i will try it though thanks!

Retired YR Player
Steam Account : MAS93
Xfire: msbiohazard

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its done. After following those steps, it is now up to the user to resize them depending on the size of their voxel.

Quote:

Tony
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry.. bumpy

Very good tutorial, I do remember MigEater's version and it didn't give enough info.

check your PM box btw.. I have a few questions

Scorched Earth
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BUMP, sorry!

Will this also work with MS Paint?

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, but you can use GIMP as a free alternative method to Photoshop. I recommend using it.

Quote:

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How effective would this method by making voxels off concept art?

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

..only as effective as the artist...

Scorched Earth
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PPM is saving me a lot of pain working on my mod.

Thank you!

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

Teufelhund1985
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm new to this (actually I never voxeled before, since I'm looking for an tutorial "voxeling for dummies and dyslectic people"). And I don't get this tutorial AT ALL. Here's a list of things that I don't get

1. "First find a Blueprint, I'll be using the Su-37 for an example, and touch up a few parts shown here and paste them as a new picture."

Touch up what? Paste where and how???

2. "After resizing, and flipping diagram around. Copy each view of the blueprint
and paste them to the corresponding views. (voxel size is X=150,Y=40,Z=100)
So thats means the top view is X=150,Y=100. Side view is: X=150,Y=40. And Front view is X=100,Y=40."

Resizing them to what? And flip what diagram around?

3. Now that you got blueprints in place. Work it out from here and things began to shape up. After that add some textures and normals and you're done.

Work what out from where? And why is it that we're suddenly working in VSE?? I didn't see you write anything about that?

I'm sorry if I sounds rude, but this tutorial doesn't make any sense to me. Anybody who can give me more information?

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Meh...this tutorial is outdated, I won't be rewriting it anytime soon.

Quote:

- geno -
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

its just like technical drawing but only working pixel by pixel to it...

the blue print is a guide to make it accurate...

Fight for the freedom side, March with the Imperial War Machine or Conquest for World Domination
https://www.facebook.com/YRZH.Mod/
https://www.moddb.com/mods/yr-zero-hour

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
ConMan
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From the link provided, how do you"convert blueprint diagrams into voxels" Question

Help would be appreciated!

Boogiewoo0
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just spent five minutes searching for a facepalm photo powerfully worded enough for this. It doesn't exist.

MT wrote:
You are so worthless, not even Tiberium can grow on you.

MT
General

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ConMan wrote:
From the link provided, how do you"convert blueprint diagrams into voxels" Question

Help would be appreciated!

ConMan, this guide is not a tool, where you put in blueprints and it produces a voxel.

It is showing you how to set up the blueprints in the voxel editor, allowing you to make the voxel with them.

ConMan
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MT wrote:

ConMan, this guide is not a tool, where you put in blueprints and it produces a voxel.

It is showing you how to set up the blueprints in the voxel editor, allowing you to make the voxel with them.

Ahhhh thanks for the enlightenment!

So you have to use the three image views of the unit and use that as a guide to making the unit? Am I correct?

But how did Roaches set up the 3 images like he did in here? Did he just do that via Photoshop, and NOT on the Voxel Editor itself? I am talking about the top left picture

MT
General

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ConMan wrote:

So you have to use the three image views of the unit and use that as a guide to making the unit? Am I correct?

Yes, exactly.

ConMan wrote:

But how did Roaches set up the 3 images like he did in here? Did he just do that via Photoshop, and NOT on the Voxel Editor itself?

This essentially GamingRoaches tutorial in steps/rephrased (the comment in blueprint tutorial-2.png looks cut-off, so this might be the cause of confusion).

1. You plan and configure the dimensions of the voxel.
Plan: For example, you plan: I want my future voxel to have the
GamingRoach wrote:
voxel size is X=150,Y=40,Z=100

Configure: Then you make an empty voxel in voxel editor with exactly those dimensions. Watch out though, some directions in the voxel editor may be messed up, so make sure it is right before proceeding.

2. You measure and scale the blueprints to the voxel.

Measure: like GamingRoach said, his dimensions stated above give:
GamingRoach wrote:
the top view is X=150,Y=100. Side view is: X=150,Y=40. And Front view is X=100,Y=40.

Scale:Now is only part image editors are involved.
Take each view and put it into a separate image, and most importantly scale each view down to the figures "Measure" got.

3. You do the final edits, and then use it in the voxel
Final Edits: every picture, so they all have the same telling locations (no view direction is "off" by any pixels, or it will ruin the purpose.

Use it: simply select the image, copy (Ctrl+C), go to the correct position in the voxel editor, and Paste (Ctrl+V).
Example for one view: open image with top view, go to the top of the voxel in the correct rotations and paste.

GamingRoach wrote:
Now that you got blueprints in place. Work it out from here and things began to shape up. After that add some textures and normals and you're done.

Everything is learned from original tutorial, only some more depth added so you may get it.

Hope this helped Wink

ConMan
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Omg, thanks for all the help! I think this will help me greatly as well as many others! I really get it now.

Thanks for all the clarification! Smile Smile Smile

crevio
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I still dont get it! How did he make the skin? How did he resize the images?, What format does the images have to be inorder to paste them in the vxlIII editor? I just acquired PS cs3 Extended like he has and I see no where you can change all x,y,z coordinates.

crevio
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok I got everything except for one thing, when I goto paste the picture, whether it be the top, side, or back, it tells me "Unsupported Clipboard Format" in vxlIII editor, yes i open it with new so views are empty, yes images are of same size as in the vxl editor, so now what?

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry for necro, yet I have a question.

What if after resizing it, it dose not look right?
I'm trying to make a CFA-44 off some blueprints I found, yet after the resize it dise not look right. Is that normal?

again sorry

There is Nothing I can not Cut!

crevio
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there is another tutorial on this subject that explains alot more than this one, but anyway, some blue prints just look very crappy after resizing them. try resizing them with SmartSize and see if that helps, if not then youll have to find a better quality blue print of the unit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [27 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon