Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Hard Vacuum
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject:  Hard Vacuum
Subject description: A Dune II clone that was never completed
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just stumbled upon this very interesting game: Hard Vacuum. Inspired by Dune II, it would have preceded both Warcraft and Command & Conquer, were it released in time. Unfortunately, Hard Vacuum was never completed, and only graphics are available for download.

Apart from regular features associated with the then-newborn RTS genre, some interesting things were planned for this game:
Quote:
There were several interesting systems in Hard Vacuum. Some made it into future RTS games and some did not.

• Supply Lines: When you built a mining tower on a resource deposit, there was no need to manually build and manage drones to carry the minerals back and forth. Instead, a road was built from your base to the mine. Drones were automatically created when the mine had a full load and sent along the road to your base. Enemies could blast your supply line and interrupt your flow of resources. So protecting fixed supply lines became a bit part of the strategy.
  • Variable Height Terrain: This was a 2D tile-based game intended to run on 386 and 486 machines. We had a full system of variable height terrain. Units on higher ground would have targeting advantages over units on lower grow
  • Deformable terrain with flowing water and lava: You could blow huge holes in terrain with artillery in order to divert streams and lava. Drop a water bomb on a city and watch it wash away an entire troop. Drop a dirt bomb to create a mountain.
  • Walls: Walls played a huge part in the game to give large defensive barriers to attack. These existed in Dune2, but were extended in HV
  • Player created landscapes: Walls, base building, supply lines, and advanced terrain modification all contributed to a game where players built intricate maps during game play. We couldn't afford to spend lots of money building maps so instead we had to create fun systems that let players create unique and interesting combat situations.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like a mix-up of TS and Dune II #Tongue

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Deformable terrain with flowing water and lava: You could blow huge holes in terrain with artillery in order to divert streams and lava. Drop a water bomb on a city and watch it wash away an entire troop. Drop a dirt bomb to create a mountain.

That sound awesome.

VV
http://ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25048

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quick! Steal their ideas! #Tongue

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:
Quick! Steal their ideas! #Tongue

Our engines aren't good enough Dx

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, but mine will >:)
(Check link in sig)

VV
http://ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25048

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the greatest resource system ever proposed.

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys, maybe someone will make a tribute to this game, since most of the graphics are freely available? I think modern-day RTS engines would allow for implementation of all those ideas.

raminator
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks interesting...
but gfx are kinda useless except for maybe dune2

just a simple logo by bricks @ raminator, on Flickr

inzane krazy
General

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What a waste :/

I actually want to play that...

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It was well beyond its time, as with most other games running on the amiga. The painstakingly constructed graphics are awesome, It is a shame that it didn't see the light of day since it was almost complete.

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

raminator wrote:

What are you talking about, they're a fine example of excellent pixel-art.

I wonder if there's a working build of the game itself anywhere left. It would be a shame if they completed it thus far, and then lost the program...

inzane krazy
General

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah....I wonder what you would do to it, if you found it Mr Flibble #Tongue

Orac
President

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MrFlibble wrote:
raminator wrote:

Yeah, I actually rather like that style...

raminator
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MrFlibble wrote:
raminator wrote:

I wonder if there's a working build of the game itself anywhere left. It would be a shame if they completed it thus far, and then lost the program...

in that time it looked nice...
but today you could use these gfx only for other games of that time or a remake like those Dune2-Remakes...
for games like TS/RA2 or even TD they are not really usefull except as a concept

just a simple logo by bricks @ raminator, on Flickr

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course they cannot be used in a TD/RA/TS/RA2 mod, but I think there have been several projects (I don't know if any is still being worked on) that use this GFX (one is called Burning Dust).

-=HelloDave=-
Grenadier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

argh that looked ztyping amazing too.
Reminds me of ts and dune 2 a lot.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Made quite a lot of progress on it:

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the retro aesthetic. Would be really awesome if it was completed, with the text/UI elements having that same look

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah yeah this one. I remember stumbling into that article years ago. IIRC it was made by the guy who made Tyrian 2000.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The UI is using upscaled and recolored pixel art to look nicer on HD monitors

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum