Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:47 am
All times are UTC + 0
Making A Terrain Tile (*)
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [27 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
MT
General

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject:  Making A Terrain Tile (*)
Subject description: With TMP Builder
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I didn't find a tutorial on this, and Icy kept complaining (thread now erased, along with the rest of TACKTICS's forum) about people asking him how, so I thought "why not?".

This tutorial, will explain the process of making a basic, 1x1, non-sloped terrain tile.

Alright, I thought this to be obvious, but this maybe helpful for newbies.

Requirements

-TMP Builder
NOTE: this is not for public download, you must obtain it via PM from individuals such as Nikademis

-XCC Mixer
-A map editor. FinalAlert2YR recommended.

-Your Terrain image must be already made.
RA2/YR Tile size = 60x30
TS Tile size = 48x24

Step 1
Open up TMP Builder, and choose new.
You shall get to something like this:

Now go ahead and fill it right up with your options.
They are self explanatory, except for the last option.

For this, try to choose what matches your terrain the most.
I believe these may affect how units and structures react to these
(like the tag MovementRestrictedTo, and the various SpeedType)

Aro note
Clear: Basically your average tile.
Rough: Average tile but units move slower.
Road: Units move faster on road / concrete tiles.

For this example, we'll leave these settings, and get a 1x1, Temperate tile for RA2/YR.

Step 2
You now shall have an empty tile.
Open up your image and copy:

And then paste:

(Just use Ctrl C and Ctrl V, These two images are just for being thorough)

Step 3
Recommended, but not required.
Use Auto Colour All (Ctrl+Shift+A).

This is so your terrain shows up with the right colours on radar.

Step 4
Save it. You don't need an image for that, do you? #Tongue
Give it a short filename, with a number (01 for first terrain of set).
For this example, the filename was "conc01.tem",
but should have been conc01a.tem for it to be randomized.

Aro note: It's not recommended for any tiles file name to be longer than 8 Characters, that includes the two numbers at the end and the randomization letter at the end of the file name.

Step 5
Extract the relevant ini with XCC Mixer, and get ready to code.

INI to use (use Ctrl+f in XCC Mixer and type the name you want below)
temperatmd.ini for Temperate
snowmd.ini for Snow
urbanmd.ini for Urban
urbannmd.ini for New Urban
desertmd.ini for Desert
lunarmd.ini for Lunar
*Remember, for Ra2 without YR,
Subtract the "md" from the above.*

I believe TS only uses temperat.ini and snow.ini
(needs verification)

For this YR example, we'll use temperatmd.ini (the ini for temperate terrain).

1 - Open the ini up, and go to the last TileSet entry.
2 - Clone an entry of the terrain most similar to your own.
3 - Change the following:

Its title (in the "[" and "]") -
make it higher than the last entry. For this example, the last terrain in temperatmd.ini was "TileSet0081", so the new one will be "TileSet0082"

SetName - Obvious; name the tileset.

FileName -  
The filename you thought of earlier, minus the number and extension. The example filename was "conc01.tem", so here is "conc"

TilesInSet - Always set to 99. No exceptions. I don't care about your opinions of this matter, follow orders!

Morphable - set to true only if you made slopes (which is beyond the scope of this tutorial).

Step 6
Now use your XCC Mixer to make an ExpandXXmd.mix
XX is a two digit number. Make sure to avoid the reserved ones, particularly 01
the md is there means its for YR, also applies to INIs

Now use XCC Mixer again to place your INI and Terrain in this Mix (Terrain is only read by FinalAlert2YR if its in such a mix).

Step 7
Open your map editor and place your terrain in a map.
Your new terrain should be at the bottom of the bottom menu list (the same list where the cliff set is).

Conclusion
Congratulations, you made new terrain!
Being your first time, it will probably be crappy and untileable, but you just need practice (and a more advanced tutorial).

Hope this tutorial actually helps someone!

MT

Credits
MT (myself) for writing the tutorial,
VK for coding TMP Builder
IcySon55 for releasing and revoking TMP Builder
Olaf for XCC Mixer
Matias for Final Alert
Westwood FTW
Aro for some useful info of the properties of tiles (size, type, etc)

If anyone finds any mistakes in this tutorial, then say so and it shall be fixed.

Key Words: #Tutorials #Terrain #TMP #Graphics #Media #TiberianSun #Firestorm #RedAlert2 #YurisRevenge #TMPBuilder 

Last edited by MT on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:07 am; edited 3 times in total

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, this is what I do to make terrain, with any tiles larger than 1x1 I use XCC TMP Editor, but ALWAYS TMP Studio to Autocolor.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any pointers on making cliffs?

MT
General

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aro wrote:
Yeah, this is what I do to make terrain, with any tiles larger than 1x1 I use XCC TMP Editor, but ALWAYS TMP Studio to Autocolor.

Yeah, wouldn't know what to do without TMP Builder; still don't know how to use XCC TMP Editor...
Someone should write a tutorial for it ^_^

Orac wrote:

Not from me, I haven't even yet tried making any slope or cliff terrain Very Happy

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

It's best to use a 3D program for making cliffs rather than Photoshop. I Made cliffs in Photoshop for the first attempt of Evolution but they never came out correctly.

Here is the cliff making in 3D tutorial.

When it comes to TMPing the cliffs, it's best to do it in TMP editor rather than TMP studio. Use the Westwood cliffs as a template and just paste over it. Simple really.

Quote:
Yeah, wouldn't know what to do without TMP Builder; still don't know how to use XCC TMP Editor...
Someone should write a tutorial for it ^_^

I Would, but I really can't be bothered. Terrain is really simple if you just have a basic idea on what you're doing. DarkRose taught me terrain last year, and look at what I can do now.

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

actually. you can make cliffs in photoshop or similar. You just have to know how to paint digitally. You can scan in an image or draw, if your fortunate you can use a wacom or drawing tablet. Unless that is your a pixel god. :p

Last edited by Ickus on Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I Was happy with how mine turned out but it's just making sure the edges match that's the problem, that's the only reason I scrapped these cliffs (That, and they're not as good as I hoped they'd be).

SSTG
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks interesting might try making some urban terrain after looking at this

DrKyle1357
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry for the bump, but what size do you make the origanal picture file? (the one in Paint)

MT
General

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

something around 60x30, but I'm too not sure... wait for an experienced terrain artist.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TS Tile size: 48x24
RA2 Tile size: 60x30

It may be useful for you to mention that at the top, MT.

MT
General

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, updated.

-added contribution by Aro
-added credits
-some cleaning, and some more info for thoroughness
-some important info bolded
-other changes, minor

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also note that it's not recommended for any tiles file name to be longer than 8 Characters, that includes the two numbers at the end and the randomization letter at the end of the file name.

Clear01a.

Any longer than 8 Character file names is not recommended, this applies for just about everything and not just terrain.

Other additions:

Clear: Basically your average tile.
Rough: Average tile but units move slower.
Road: Units move faster on road / concrete tiles.

Most other options are self-explanatory.
I'll write up more about terrain when I can be bothered. I need a rest.

MT
General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Added.

Hey Aro, when you can be bothered #Tongue, any tips on tile transitions? (mine always look sh*t)

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll write my own terrain making tutorial one day.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bump! Think I'll add this information here too (I'm aware MT already mentioned the 99 tile number point).

Aro wrote:
It's common sense to not add anything to vanilla tile sets as this will basically destroy the game. When adding new tile sets, the maximum tiles in set number should ALWAYS be set to 99, no more, no less. Not 10, not 20, not 75, 99. This isn't vital, but it'll come in handy if you plan to add more tiles to your new set. The maximum limit of tiles that can be in a set is 99, do not exceed this number, if your new tilesets feature more than 99 tiles you're going to have to create a new set for the additional tiles. A good idea would also to be add much larger tiles to a new tile set as it screws up the tile viewing system in FinalSun/FinalAlert/Map Editors like shores which unfortunately can not be changed unless you plan on removing every pre-made map form the game. An example of what I mean:

0090 - Debris Tiles
0091 - Large Debris Tiles

This is common sense, any decent terrain artist should know this.
Another good thing to do would be to create your tilesets one by one and add them to the game in an organized fashion once you feel you're ready, you can even make placeholder entries in temperat.ini etc. by adding the tag 'AllowToPlace=no' to your tile set. Again, this isn't necessary but does definitely come in handy.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You or MT should upload TMP Builder here on PPM again, as Icy was so "kind" to remove it for public use. Confused

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: tmp builder Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i added it back some time ago, but Icy had a fit. He said I could send it out in PM or Emails, but I couldn't post it up.

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd post a link to it anyhow, there is little Icy can do about it apart for bitch and moan. Would more depend on how the admins here felt about having a link to it even if its not hosted here.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: tmp studio Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i posted the file and it finally got moved to the crap section and then deleted. I remember it being on filefront.com, but i havent seen it. Icy said I could email it to people if they wanted it. BTW Dats had also sent me PM complaining that I had posted it up, threatened me with legal action. I had a good laugh on that one....... Cool

crevio
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Almost everyone already has it from what I gather. And for those who dont I'm sure some point in time they will. So I'd say just to avoid another bitch fest just let those who do not have it get it thru PM.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: LOL Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MT
General

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heh, this old little tut is still being thought of, lol.

...I'll see if I can update it later with a way to do slopes, with XCC TEM editor.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: tut Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey if it works then we will be happy to have it, lol

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Original post should be updated to inform people they need to ask for the program and who to ask. Almost as good as a link, just a bit more leg work.

MT
General

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alrighty, it is done.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: terrain Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Icy sent me a pm when he complained about me posting a link to the program....he said I could email it or PM it but I couldn't post it.....so if you want it send me a PM...

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [27 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon