Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:58 am
All times are UTC + 0
Is it still possible to make original games anymore?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Chaotic General
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject:  Is it still possible to make original games anymore?
Subject description: Just something I have been thinking about
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So here is the question for everyone,
do you think "original" games are still possible today.
'cause every time I think I have come up with something new, someone has already done it, or is doing it.
what do you all think, is it still possible or is the only option to just try to do things a little better then the last guy?

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not hard to do original. At all.

You just have to actually try. The most original ideas are ones that have been done but implemented easily.

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Portal is quite new, and very origial. Also, RUSE might be great, but I don't think it's THAT original... I think.......?

EDIT:Typo

Last edited by Dupl3xxx on Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Team SomeGuy
General

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's tons of original material left to do in gaming. You just have to think and try new stuff out and find something fun and awesome.

For example, the FPS genre has the entirety of the First World War to do historical FPS. Likewise the modern day genre (taking the lead from games like Generals, BF2 [Generals in BF!], and CoD4) is still somewhat possible.

There's no excuse for saying what your thinking of has been done. Gaming's only been around since 1972. Film has been around for 100 years almost and it has no shortage of original stuff (though a lot of it is really badly done).

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and alot someguy, is remakes from other stuff. Its kinda surprising to see the source material for some movies, like I was looking a list of movies inducted into some thing, and saw a movie from the 20s/30s with the same title as one that came out recently, and when I checked it out they were basically the same, but no where was it written that the new was based off of the old.

You can alwasy try to join two genres together and call it original, like F03 or Borderlands. Go ahea, pick 2 genres and say them togeether, istant gold

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not always will such a concept work, DaFool.

And don't forget there's tons of originality for modding too. I've found plenty of ideas for my projects that aren't killed to death by overuse.

Eagle 11
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Originality is an never ending ocean,dont fool yourself it will end a day,for time corrects human thoughts again and again.

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^ Makes no sense.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wouldnt go looking for originality because you'll never find it. Instead make games you love with features you'd think would be great. You stumble on original ideas without knowing it.

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If we're talking about stuff that has NEVER been done before, then I'd say it actually has become extremely difficult to come up with stuff that is original AND GOOD at the same time.

Most of the remaining unused ideas have not been used for a good reason.

I'm not saying it's impossible to come up with something original these days, but meeting quality standards and appealing to a big enough audience at the same time is an enormous challenge.

And quite frankly, as a gamer, I prefer a not very original but damn well made game over anything that is "original" but mediocre (same for music and movies, btw).

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There will be more original games, with a concept far out!

Car-games:
An enitre world! MMO-racing!

FPS-games:
Start as a baby, and grow into a human, threw the eyes if the baby! (some would refer to that as IRL, don't listen to them!)

I have yet to see a "physics game", that would be a new idea!

What I'm trying to say, is that there isn't impossible to create something new! With new technology comes new opportunities! 3d screens, motion sensors. Wii have a truckload of new ideas! Try the bowling, or boxing sport game. It's neat!

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dupl3xxx wrote:
There will be more original games, with a concept far out!

Car-games:
An enitre world! MMO-racing!

FPS-games:
Start as a baby, and grow into a human, threw the eyes if the baby! (some would refer to that as IRL, don't listen to them!)
That's not original, its just bigger.

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
I wouldnt go looking for originality because you'll never find it. Instead make games you love with features you'd think would be great. You stumble on original ideas without knowing it.

This.

Look at what's happening to C&C... EA has been throwing out all the stuff we love about C&C for the sake of originality. If you got a working concept, and people want more of it, then really, all you need to do is MAKE more of it. People loved RA1, despite the fact it was pretty much exactly the same as C&C1. It didn't have any ground-breaking new features, it was just more of what people loved.

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I have yet to see a "physics game", that would be a new idea!

Crayon Physics?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum