Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:52 am
All times are UTC + 0
Windows 7
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [56 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Republic_Commando_401
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject:  Windows 7
Subject description: Holy Grail
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Windows 7 has been release for quite a while. It works great. Everything supports it and it;s faster then XP. Microsoft did a great job creating windows 7. Very stable, Very Fast, Very Safe, not much of the security shits like the UAC.

Anyone got something great to say about vista?

AltomareXD
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nope.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aww, don't bash my Failsta :,(

AltomareXD
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's slooooow. I'll be replacing my Vista laptop with 7 too.

inzane krazy
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Vista is a heap of fail, that's all.

Tore
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Vista has been working ok for me #Tongue

But Win 7 is much better. I wish I could get it soon..

Team SomeGuy
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Upgrade kits at OfficeMax are like $28. Get it!

AltomareXD
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or a loader #Tongue Then again, it's illegal to talk about it in PPM Wink

Dark Templar X
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't see what the big deal was with Vista. I hate to say it, but it runs circles around XP.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

XP is fine. I don't see the need to upgrade to Vista/Win7 just because they're there.

Tony
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used to hate vista, but after a few tweaks here and there, it runs far better than XP. though it does have it's flaws..

Win 7 looks ok, but I cant get it atm.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dunno if I should get Win 7 (not now, but later) since Win 8 is already in production...yes I'm looking quite far in the future #Tongue

Dark Templar X
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:
XP is fine. I don't see the need to upgrade to Vista/Win7 just because they're there.

There are very good reasons to upgrade. Updates is a good reason, especially since XP's support won't last forever. SP2 support ends in 2011 and SP3 support drops in 2014. Upgrade now, save some hassle.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

2014? The I'm laughing for a damn good long time.

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can't get Civilization 3 and 4 to run on Win 7 Sad

Otherwise it works great!

ARustySpoon
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

undermannen
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

in Vista you can manually sort the files... on Win 7 u cannot.

Team SomeGuy
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

undermannen wrote:

And that's bad how?

Seriously, I don't understand the "problem" with dynamic file management. As long as your directories match up with your saved destinations who cares what the sorting looks like?

Dark Templar X
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:

Nah, not really. All you get now are hotfixes and security patches. If you find a flaw in XP, it will never be fixed now.

undermannen
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team SomeGuy wrote:
undermannen wrote:

And that's bad how?

Seriously, I don't understand the "problem" with dynamic file management. As long as your directories match up with your saved destinations who cares what the sorting looks like?

well... its annoying for example folders with lots of files (TS main folder) when u have to scroll up and down just to find the files, it would be easier to just put every file in the same place.

Team SomeGuy
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And that can't be done yourself by simply saving everything to one folder why? And why is that a problem on 7?

Really, this is doing you no good just saying it's bad for the hell of it.

undermannen
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

omg... if u place em in another folder TS wont work... or units or something.

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dark Templar X wrote:
I don't see what the big deal was with Vista. I hate to say it, but it runs circles around XP.

This.
Before I got my graduation laptop and having known it was going to have Vista on it, I was pretty much on the Hate bandwagon. I had this plan to downgrade to XP and everything would be good.

When I actually used Vista my fears disappeared. Out of 98, XP and Vista I'd have to go with Vista as my favorite.

As for 7, I hear good things about it, but I don't want to go to the trouble of doing all that upgrading jazz.

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:

Yeah,even if support ends somewhere in 2010+,I can still wait.For me it worked 'til now.

I myself used 98 'til 2004.Didn't have too many problems.

ARustySpoon
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

undermannen wrote:
Team SomeGuy wrote:
undermannen wrote:

And that's bad how?

well... its annoying for example folders with lots of files (TS main folder) when u have to scroll up and down just to find the files, it would be easier to just put every file in the same place.

You can group file types into their own section. If that's not what you mean then you're kind of contradicting yourself by saying you want everything in one folder, but there are too many files to be fit into one folder.

Atari2600
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like Windows 7 alot. Its only been a little more than a week since I installed it, but its been an excellent choice. 64-bit version, btw...

Vista angers me. XP will always have a place in my heart, and on a few HDD's of mine.

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Vista works fine. I turned off UAC and it works better than XP. And I too used to hate every aspect of Vista.

Plus I seem to be the only person I know who has no problem running any game.

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dark Templar X wrote:
OmegaBolt wrote:

Nah, not really. All you get now are hotfixes and security patches. If you find a flaw in XP, it will never be fixed now.

Does that really matter? A firewall will keep you safe to be honest. I only plan to switch away from XP when it can no longer play any modern games (which will be a long time away, let's face it). I run Linux for my day-to-day usage anyway. There's no way I'm spending money for an upgrade that will make my computer slower with none of the actual improvements benefitting me.

Wess
TS Mapping GOD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Vista is working verry well for me.
had to find some drivers (and i did not really have to look for those), and had to turn off UAC, but other then that Vista has not given me any probs, well no more then i ever had with XP.

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

m7 wrote:
Vista works fine. I turned off UAC and it works better than XP. And I too used to hate every aspect of Vista.

Plus I seem to be the only person I know who has no problem running any game.

You know me Sad

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have been using vista since the days of "longhorn". And I dear to say that on a normal computer (2.6ghz dual core, 4gb ram(norwegian standards Smile)) vista runs more smooth than XP, however, during the first three moths after release, vista was h3ll! Few drivers, and a bit unstable. Even though I used an entire week to get the entire OS to crash beyond repair. Reinstall FTW.

Q:
Does anyone know a single GOOD reason to keep vista insted of using win 7? no, "vista works, I don't need to upgrade" isn't a good reason...Wink

Dubzac
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm buying Windows 7 yeah i know windows 8 is in production but i don't have the energy just to sit and wait. Besides my Call of duty world at war won't start on my Geforce 8400 GTS, XP SP3. it pisses me off big time.

Dark Templar X
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dupl3xxx wrote:
Q:
Does anyone know a single GOOD reason to keep vista insted of using win 7? no, "vista works, I don't need to upgrade" isn't a good reason...Wink

No. Upgrade. Vista isn't the pile of shit everyone says it is but Windows 7 is how Vista should have been. Suffice to say, it rocks and rolls your soul. #Tongue

Styledatol
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Vista is a steaming pile of shit, why? Because it was either incompatible or had issues with more than 50% of the software/games I was using. Sure you can get a fix for it, and solve the problem if you look on help forums and what-not; but why replace some that works with every single program/game I run with a broken experiment.

Windows 7 looks quite nice, but I won't be getting it just yet, would rather wait for all the glitches to be ironed out before I get it.

Dark Templar X
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Windows 7 had a longer RC cycle so Microsoft ironed out a lot more than the rush job they did with Vista. You should be pleasantly surprised at how well it works.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm with the select few that are staying with XP, and will till it's no longer functionable. I've only had problems with XP that were mainly do to my past ignorance. But I now know XP front to back, and have my com set to my needs. and I still have 2-4 yrs before XP drops out anyway. So I'll wait. "Why fix it if it aint broken"

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

ashtonfarell
Civilian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am using Windows 7 64 bit version, and when I try to install iTunes, it won't let me install it. Any suggestions?

Republic_Commando_401
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you use the 32bit. Download. Get 32bit.

Dark Templar X
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That was shockingly unhelpful, but I'm not surprised. Then again, you're replying to a bot.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like Vista more than XP.. You just need more RAMs. Since I have 6 gigs, I'm pretty much set.

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well said, I have 4 gigs ddr2, a quad core and vista x64 ultimate and I have had no problems with it what so ever. I was left wondering why I hadn't changed from XP sooner.

I do of course turn off account user control right from the start, that is its only flaw imo.

For those complaining about compatibility issues, you know there is such a thing as compatibility mode? Mine runs TS and pretty much all of the older games I have tried perfectly.

Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And to the stupid bot, get iTunes for x64, if it will help a bot in any way...

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Vista Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Vista works fine as long as you have the proper amount of RAM. I had a laptop with 2 gigs and ran the basic version. I ran Firefox, Final Alert, tmp builder, tmp editor, firefox (least 4 tabs opened) mix creator and the game running and had no problems. Vista was fine, Win 7 is no big deal. I can not see why we will need another OS in 4 yrs. That seems to be the way MS runs every 4 years a new OS. Every one has their own preference.

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So.. you ran 2 versions of Firefox's at the same time? (one with at least 4 tabs open)

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: vista Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oops, no i had internet explorer sometimes, even though i hate it, and had firefox open with 4 tabs

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OMG FIREFOX WITH 4 TABS ITS THE END OF THE WORLD?!?!

I don't see how Firefox puts any strain on a system. I've always got at least 4 tabs open...

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
OMG FIREFOX WITH 4 TABS ITS THE END OF THE WORLD?!?!

I don't see how Firefox puts any strain on a system. I've always got at least 4 tabs open...

23 tabs with this one.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dislike multiple tabs open at once.

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

16 tabs opened in my Opera. I moved the tabs bar to the right side of the screen, so I can comfortably use about 30 opened tabs.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
I dislike multiple tabs open at once.

Too many windows then? #Tongue

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon