Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:18 am
All times are UTC + 0
Dry Heat: Soviet Survival (YR)
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [26 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject:  Dry Heat: Soviet Survival (YR) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dry Heat: Soviet Survival, by Aro

While playing some popular survival maps on Yuri's Revenge, I thought I'd make a few more but not just another one of those survival maps where wave upon wave of unstoppable units come your way. This dry heat survival idea was inspired by Dylan (Also known as Informant).

What is Dry Heat: Soviet Survival?

This is a modified version of the popular Yuri's Revenge map, Dry Heat which puts a single player up against a soviet computer opponent which performs many waves of attacks very similar to what professional XWIS players dish out. The human player will start on the left hand side of the map and the AI opponent will be hidden from the map, but it's waves of attacks still appear. Each wave gets harder as time goes on as you'd expect in an online game. This is intent to help the newer XWIS players get better at defending against common Drone attacks, Splits and Fodder accompanied tanks etc.

Are there any changes to the map itself?

Terrain and layout remains exactly the same, I have only removed Ore and Oil Dericks from the right side of the map where the computer opponent is positioned, this is to prevent people from taking an advantage of the extra resources so it's a situation like what you'd encounter on XWIS.

How do I play Dry Heat: Soviet Survival?

Simply download the zip file and extract it to your RA2 Directory (normally C:/Westwood/RA2/), once you've done that the map will appear in your Yuri's Revenge Skirmish maps list. The required settings for playing this map properly are as follows:

- Set your player starting position to spot 1
- Make sure you chose either Allies or Soviets, this map lacks any real challenge if you chose Yuri
- Set the AI's faction to Soviets (it doesn't matter what country)
- Set the AI's starting location to spot 2
- Set Short Game on
- Set starting units to 0
- Set Superweapons on

How do I uninstall Dry Heat: Soviet Survival?

Simply go to your RA2 Directory and remove the files: arosovsu.yrm and ra2md.csf

What do the attacks consist of?

The attacks are typical ones that will be performed by any good XWIS Soviet player (as closely imitated as possible), this includes Engineer eating dogs, conscript attacks, early drones, tank rushes, tank splits and heavy unit waves. I wont reveal all the waves. After the 8th wave (Iron curtain), I have added a few much harder waves which include a nuke strike attack, these extra waves are just a bonus to the actual map.
The attacks are not 100% accurate as it's not possible to make the AI perform such human-like commands, but I've imitated them as closely as possible.

I don't expect very experienced YR Soviet and Allied players to have too much of a difficult time winning the first 6 waves (even though some of the ones that have already played it have struggled many times), but if you'd like to play it and share thoughts etc. You may.

Link updated: Februrary 09 2010
Download Dry Heat: Soviet Survival

Good luck and have fun.

- Aro

Last edited by Aro on Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Shadow Hunter
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gonna test now, downloading. Smile

For real, first time i read the topic name i thought you maked an basic survival map where you have an massive base and most of terrain unused. Sad

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmmm, didn't see this coming. I'll check it out!

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just got done with 1st attempt... Fµcking nukes! Laughing Im gonna have another go once I get back from work.

BTW I loved it! I would love to see more maps like this. As far as I can remember this is the only one I have seen or played... I have no idea were to find these types of maps. Laughing

SSTG
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know theres one in the map archive which carries all 3 team units

I got owned fast on that one since of all my modded units were there #Tongue

Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds awesome, gonna try it now...

Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NO KIROVS NO!!!! DO NOT SLOWLY APPROACH MY BASE WHILE I HAVE NO MONEY TO BUILD AA!!!!!!!!!111!!!! XD

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Updated the first post, the map is now complete. Smile

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damn, lack of money is seriously holding me back.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm a Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge Hall of Famer and even I have trouble completing this but it's not impossible, just keep trying your best. Smile

Tony
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MadHQ wrote:
I just got done with 1st attempt... Fµcking nukes! Laughing Im gonna have another go once I get back from work.

BTW I loved it! I would love to see more maps like this. As far as I can remember this is the only one I have seen or played... I have no idea were to find these types of maps. Laughing

I used to make maps similar to this, these aren't common on a forum though. #Tongue

I'll give this a try later Aro. Very Happy

Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I moved all my units just a bit farther from my base and that was all it took to win...

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't, that's cheating. You're meant to camp and defend. #Tongue

Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aro wrote:
Don't, that's cheating. You're meant to camp and defend. #Tongue

LOL

EricAnimeFreak
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dont want to call this map survival, I'd rather call it Tactical simulator of Xwis, in which case shouldn't you just play xwis opponents, as few and far between they may be... Xwis, everytime I login to the place, I swear the # of people has gone down... Nice map though man. Although clasic play and old school XWIS bored me long ago. And sinc ei haven't played in soo long, I think I dont fair too well in it.

Speaking of which ARO have you ever played one of my maps, hopefully not any of my old ones, but the ones I added to forum rather recnetly?

Would you class mine as; "just another one of those survival maps where wave upon wave of unstoppable units come your way." or "i thought you maked an basic survival map where you have an massive base and most of terrain unused."

Just curious is all, for all I know you've never tried any of my maps. Of course mine are different but retain some of that old survival style.

Preplaced Neutral buildings.
Additional new features.

Enjoy Everyone!

Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This map should have that you must move some attack forces into an area before a timer runs out, so it will be more real.

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those nukes were quite unexpected. Very Happy

Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In real gameplay online, I bet you that they wont do that XD

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh you get nuked online, just not by 4.

Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At least online you get to see a Nuke timer at the bottom...

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It teaches you to always be alert and keep on your toes... I take it you're not an experienced XWIS player?

Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I play mods on network with my YR Team (7 people) thank you very much XD

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, inexperienced. Go on RA2 or YR online one day and play a game that isn't Tour of Egypt. Good luck.

Dudeinabox
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pfft C&C was never made for online, typical spam fest #Tongue

Interesting though, I may give it a go although tbh I've never been interested in playing C&C online...only TI.

Crimmy: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

001010011100101110 if you Wanna test your xwis skills, try playing a normal map with limited resources against veteran players! I guarantee ya, you'll be like- WTF!

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm like, WTF!! An IE appeared while playing online... lol better check the game files!

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [26 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon