Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:01 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Monkey in the Middle (2-4)
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject:  Monkey in the Middle (2-4)
Subject description: DutchyGamer's Submission - 3rd Place
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DutchyGamer's Submission:

Aro's Rating:

Detail - 14 / 20
The detailing was pretty nice, had a very dry and hot feeling to it. It also reminded me a lot of the map Country Swing (one of my favorite vanilla maps) which was a good boost in my score for you. I didn't like the choice of buildings for the center of the map as neither of them fit that well with eachother, but it was nothing too major, just a minor thing that bugged me. There were a few other downfalls such as very flat land, lack of trees and a few straight slopes, but otherwise it was nice detailing and very WestWood like. Good job.

Lighting - 5 / 20
Admittedly I wasn't fond of the lighting for the style of map. A desert-like map such as this one would of benefited from a much more dry and hot lighting setting, but I guess it was nice to see something different. I didn't see any light post usage. 5 For Global lighting, 0 for Light post usage.

Layout - 12 / 20
The layout was good in my opinion, bases not completely open but still vulnerable to many attack routes. The placement of Ore, Oil Dericks and the entire central area makes for some excellent tactical oportunites which is a good bost for the layout score, though in a Top vs Bottom game I feel the top players would benefit as they have a better chance to defend from the top of the cliffs.

Game-play - 16 / 20
The gamneplay was excellent of course, the AI attacked viciously and frequently, the layout also offered some good movements for Tank Control, base expansion, the works. This could be a great contender for online play, I'd even reccomend it to Strike-Team as a QM contender.

Triggers & INI Tweaks - 13 / 20
Great use of sound triggers on many areas of the map, definitely added to the feel of your map. Good Job. Other than Disabling Naval Yards, there were no .INI tweaks.

Total Score : 60 / 100

Aro's Personal Comments: Well it was definitely an interesting contender, but the lighting really dragged down the feel of the map in my opinion which was the only real ache on your score. Overall though it was a good map and fun to play on, It has my approval.

Ixith's Rating:

Detail - 13 / 20
Detail was pretty good LAT wise and various rocks throughout the place. For it being in a temperate theatre I was expecting some normal trees outside of the farm spot and the trailor house area like around the water areas rather than just cactuses here and there on the map but regardless detailing was pretty good.

Lighting - 13 / 20
The overall global lighting was interesting. It had a pinkish orange feel to it which mixed with the cactuses and the sandyness of the map kinda went well although I can't say I was too big of a fan with it overall.

Layout - 12 / 20
layout was okay. I thought it could have been more complex though it was nice that areas varied a bit. The whole fact that it forced you to leave your base and fight over the heavier resource spots made it nice. One complaint is the right side Oil derricks seem to be closer to the bottom right side start position though. However, the fact that the top players are not as out in the open probably counters that a bit.

Game-play - 14 / 20
Gameplay was pretty good. Probably the strongest point was in the beginning were i was actually getting pretty heavily. However, for some reason or another the top right AI's harvestors stopped harvesting. My only guess on this is that either it was a off chance fluke or maybe the other ore fields are just a bit too far away from that start spot so that when it's main ore field ran out and wasn't replineshed that the harvestors didn't scan the others. Another thing about it was that playing at the top positions i found it was easier to defend as you have only a few ground entrances to your base and are less in the open.

Triggers & INI Tweaks - 16 / 20
Triggers appeared to have been all ambient sounds which on the first play through I didn't hear because i wasn't listening for them and typically play with the game music up at full and sounds and voices down a few notches so they aren't always easily heard for me but they were there and a nice add as there were placed throughout the map.

Total Score : 68 / 100

Ixith's Personal Comments: It was a fun map but I found that the layout was not of the same quality as it could have been. However the game play was still fluid and fairly fun and the ambient sounds made it nice. Good job on the map.

TOTAL : 128 / 200

(Click to view map in actual size)

Last edited by Aro on Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Download!

Monkey in the Middle.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Monkey in the Middle.rar
 Filesize:  141.46 KB
 Downloaded:  414 Time(s)

toadnuke
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wait, I'm a bit confused. Were there any lightposts on this map? If not, then shouldn't he have only been able to get a maximum of 10 lighting points instead of 13?

I'm just wondering, but correct me if I'm wrong.

For all the latest updates, visit my site. http://www.freewebs.com/toadnuke/

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From looking over the map myself I didn't notice any light post usage. Ixith has made a judges error I think. Confused
Remember: Lighting is split into two, 10 points for the Global lighting, 10 points for light post usage. If no light posts are used then no more than a total of 10 can be given for the lighting score depending on opinions towards the global lighting.

Wait for Ixith to appear and he'll explain, I may have to recalculate results.

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ahh yes. you need to bolden this part next time the CCC comes around

Quote:
Remember that lighting is split in two, you will receive a maximum of 10 points for your Global lighting and a maximum of 10 points for your use of invisible light posts, this is also important for the judges to remember, I don't want a mistake like last time happening again.

cause i typically judge lighting based on how it felt and went with the map.

If need be i can go through and redo my lighting scores on all the maps to reflect that as that's how judges all the maps. Confused

Dark Templar X
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This map would look better with real desert terrain.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ixith wrote:

This isn't clear enough for you? #Tongue

Aro - CCCII and CCC Official Threads wrote:
Judging:

Judging will be done by Aro (Me), Ixith and Dudeinabox.

You will be judged on:

- Detail work and LAT placement.
- Map layout
- Map Lighting (10 for lightposts 10 for global)
- General Gameplay on your submission
- Triggers and .INI edits

Will be out of 100 points, based on the criteria listed just above.

20 points for Detail
20 points for Layout
20 points for Lighting
20 points for Game play
20 points for Triggers.

Remember that lighting is split in two, you will receive a maximum of 10 points for your Global lighting and a maximum of 10 points for your use of invisible light posts, this is also important for the judges to remember, I don't want a mistake like last time happening again.

Eldrei
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't see a monkey in the middle. Confused

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Machine Shop houses a giant mechanical monkey underground. Whoever captures it unleashes ultimate doom on us all!

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aro wrote:
Ixith wrote:

This isn't clear enough for you? #Tongue

Aro - CCCII and CCC Official Threads wrote:
Judging:

Judging will be done by Aro (Me), Ixith and Dudeinabox.

You will be judged on:

- Detail work and LAT placement.
- Map layout
- Map Lighting (10 for lightposts 10 for global)
- General Gameplay on your submission
- Triggers and .INI edits

Will be out of 100 points, based on the criteria listed just above.

20 points for Detail
20 points for Layout
20 points for Lighting
20 points for Game play
20 points for Triggers.

it is when i went back to read it once the concern over the lighting was posted but after the first time reading/skimming it and everything seemed just like the First CCC, I stopped before i even got to that part and figured I'd judge just like i did the first CCC.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Guess I wasn't too clear in the first CCC thread, that would be my fault then.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@ Dark Templar X: the Desert map type doesn't have that much stuff as Temperate, and even less because we weren't allowed to use TX.
@ Eldrei: I had to come up with some name, and as most of the money is in the middle, I thought that this name would fit. Next time I'll put monkeys in the middle #Tongue

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon