Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:50 am
All times are UTC + 0
C&C4, PPM and how things work here.
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [40 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject:  C&C4, PPM and how things work here.
Subject description: We'll ascend later, Kane.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've seen requests for a forum to discuss C&C4 and many topics spammed at random forums about the game. So, I'd like to introduce the C&C Chat forum. There you can discuss any C&C game, including Tiberian Twilight and Renegade (games without modding forums here).

Unlike Red Alert 3, we are not creating modding forums for C&C4 for a very simple reason: there is nothing you can do with it, really. You can open the .BIG files with OS BIG Editor, but there is nothing useful to customize with it. The INI files that the old SAGE engine games used to have are totally gone. And this game does not come with a world builder either.

According to Sam Bass, there is a very slim possibility that World Builder and the Mod SDk for C&C4 will be created, because it is low on EALA's priority list and they do not have enough resources to work on it yet. It is really a pitty, since the game needs some tweaks (*hint* increase the damn pop cap or wipe it *hint*).

So, we'll only have modding forums for TT here, if EALA ever releases the Mod SDK for the game. Thanks for your comprehension and enjoy the game. If you need any tips or get stuck on any map from the campaign, post a topic in the C&C Chat and you'll get helped.

Eldrei
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EA sucks.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a lot of talent in that studio, but unfortunately, they are forced to create games a bit too quickly, which seriously deteriorates the final result of their products.

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, this makes sense.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for reminding ppl to this fact Banshee Smile

Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damn... I like INIs...

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, I did not know that they were not planing on releasing a world builder... Thats just one of those things that is kind of a traditional "give me" when a game is released. There really needs to be one too because, there is so few maps that come with the game as is and its just not enough.

This game just more and more pathetic. I do not know how much more week ass support can come with this game. Theres already been tons of technical issues with the game, I kind of wish this game was not released...

Gun Ship
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So no SDK or map editor I had a feeling that would happen. Looks like CNC 4 will not have the longevity of the other games.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gun Ship wrote:
So no SDK or map editor I had a feeling that would happen. Looks like CNC 4 will not have the longevity of the other games.

I thought that was rather obvious from the things that we all know.

toadnuke
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MadHQ wrote:
I kind of wish this game was not released...

I really wish this game was not released.

Also, if EA is too restricted with deadlines to make a decent game than the franchise should be sold to a different developer.

For all the latest updates, visit my site. http://www.freewebs.com/toadnuke/

AprilWar
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The ending of the whole C&C series definitely deserved a much better game.
I can bet it won't even participate for the game of the year. Sad way to close the saga.

My Art

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When it's time for them to stick to the things that made C&C great they change everything . . . but this isn't the C&C4 rant thread so get it back on topic.

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Apoc said they were working on the worldbuilder.

But they all say a lot of things.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wait, what? Wasn't the team fired? Then who's making the builder?

Ju-Jin
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some programmer still remained to fix bugs etc, also WB is used by the developers, they just need to dumb it down a bit for the user.

Also I think its really funny that everyone complains about no Mod SDK. Seriously, some years back a community had to develop their own tools like extractors to mod a game and everyone was/is happy. If someone wants to mod a game, why not write your own tools now? Has everyone become lazy?

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ju-Jin wrote:

Also I think its really funny that everyone complains about no Mod SDK. Seriously, some years back a community had to develop their own tools like extractors to mod a game and everyone was/is happy. If someone wants to mod a game, why not write your own tools now? Has everyone become lazy?

That and the lack of people capable of making one(s). FinalSun was released 7-8 years ago and no one has updated the program since. People are satisfied with it, even though it still has major flaws/room for improvement.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ju-Jin wrote:
Some programmer still remained to fix bugs etc, also WB is used by the developers, they just need to dumb it down a bit for the user.

It's not quite the same now, back then things like INI files were just raw editable files. Now you need to compile them etc. so although you could extract them you could do nothing with them without a lot of reverse engineering which is just not worth the effort.

inzane krazy
General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

God, EA and it's rush bullshit, I'd love to see another ztyping epic release like BC2. They need to work on games to meet quality like BC2 >_>

freedom fighter
General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Poor modding capability...aw crap :/

Gun Ship
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
Wait, what? Wasn't the team fired? Then who's making the builder?

They fired there developers? Is there any proof or is this just another stupid internet rumour?

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To make matters worse, doesn't it have some retarded copy protection that requires you to be online for the single player campaign?

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup it does, but there is a offline crack/patch now that was actualy released 2 days after retail.

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They fired the staff like MONTHS ago. Shit was everywhere. Sam Bass & co? They're are new places or looking for jobs. This game is dead.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yay, xpack most likely to be outsourced to india and available online only!

Ju-Jin
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anonymous wrote:
It's not quite the same now, back then things like INI files were just raw editable files. Now you need to compile them etc. so although you could extract them you could do nothing with them without a lot of reverse engineering which is just not worth the effort.

The file formats now are just a bunch of values stuffed in one file. If you can extract them you can save them in that style too. That's how I Mod KW...

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, everyone is like "They fired the devs?" but in fact they fired them even before the release (assuming it was pretty much done at that point).

AltomareXD
General

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Somehow I think the devs intentionally made the cnc4 fail so'd the fans will bash the EA. Payback for firing them :v

Eldrei
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AltomareXD has a point. Why the hell did EA fired the developers? What the hell where they thinking? Can someone please fill me in?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think AltomareXD has a good point. These devs do have a reputation and they use the projects they've worked on in their curriculums to get a new job. So, if I were them, I wouldn't screw up any game.

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it went similar to this:

EALA boss: "OK, you'll make C&C4 now. You have 8 months. You need to attract new players, so you have to make the game more accessible and casual-gamer-friendly, while keeping the fan-base. Oh yeah, and the budget for movies is cut to 20% of what you had for previous C&Cs, we have to keep production costs as low as possible. If you succeed, you're allowed to stay in the company."
Sam Bass: "But..."
EALA Boss: "Now hurry up."

SZer0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sam Bass didn't deserve his role anyway though. His "handling" of KW as the lore guy was.. beyond terrible. So much established canon and contradictions and blah blah blah. I'm sorry, but as people go, Sam Bass was [to me] a huge disaster to C&C. I have had long debates with Muldrake on the issue and He and I do agree to a point.

The other curious thing that I pointed out with Generals and the development after thereof with the rest of EA's RTS games that [take this how you want to] no-one paid attention to, was that the staff was ALWAYS changing between games.

Now, I have worked in the same job for 3 years. I've worked the the same field for 6. If there is one thing I can do backwards in my sleep, it's my job. This is because I have had so much time and practice at doing my job. Why on earth was the development team [and exec producer as well] changing almost EVERY single title? There is absolutely no logic to that design. I got used to trawling through .ini files and seeing refrences to Dustin Browder, Adam Isgreen and the gang at Westwood.

I'm not saying Westwood did a good job everyjob BUT at least they knew what they were doing. They had good practice and good knowledge and most of all, people who had a job stayed in that job. I think the noticable decline of C&C in general began with this staff BS. I also think it went down even more with the leaving of Dustin Browder. The guy wasn't perfect or brilliant, but I think he was the last great Bullwark of Westwood Ingenuinety that kept EA Titles somewhat good [His insights and work on the Inside the Battle videos about new ini developments, the Palantir etc were pure BRILLIANCE]. That is now long gone with 9 month dev cycles, quick pushes and once it's out it's gone.

Re: Modding Tools. It's easy to say "back then the community made what it needed" when "back then" there wasn't the levels of encryption, protection and general Anti-Modification sentiment that there is now. Much like MW2's removal of the console, I think EA with C&C3 wanted to essentially control our experience and stop us tailor making and changing it around. I guarantee you that if all the files weren't .cdata and all that BS there would be a far more active modding community. EA engineered it this way and we all should have seen it coming.

And the excuse EA pulled that "having the files this way lowers loading times and stability" is just pure BS. I would gladly have a game load in a minute that I can fully customise rather than have a game load in 10 seconds that I couldn't.

</Rant>

Here's to hoping WB is sort of alright.

Ju-Jin
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am writing tools for KW myself. This "its encrypted, we can't do anything" is just BS.

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Um, if I remember right... mix files were unheard of before Dune ergo they were encrypted. Its the same thing here bro.

S0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ju-Jin wrote:
I am writing tools for KW myself. This "its encrypted, we can't do anything" is just BS.

Find me a something that lets you start to modify the game then. JonWil has still only managed to extract certain file types and whatnot and he is one of the best next to Olaf.

Quote:
Um, if I remember right... mix files were unheard of before Dune ergo they were encrypted. Its the same thing here bro.

There's a difference between an unknown file type and an encrypted unknown file type

Titan
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also, the increasing complexity of games doesn't help either. >_>

Ju-Jin
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

S0 wrote:
Ju-Jin wrote:

Find me a something that lets you start to modify the game then. JonWil has still only managed to extract certain file types and whatnot and he is one of the best next to Olaf.
[...]

http://www.moddb.com/mods/kanes-wrath-mod-sdk

S0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have seen 4 promises of a KW Mod SDK with nothing proven yet. Showing me things that aren't released isn't proof

Ju-Jin
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uh right, and all these had something to prove they are able to do it? They did not. I on the other hand already released screenshots of changing objects able to built from the CY and also released a mod that disables the secondary objectives Wink

Titan
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a middle ground in between blind optimism and stubborn skepticism... #Tongue

S0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ju-Jin: Fair enough, but hardly mod worthy. I am not belitting your efforts, but rather just implying that we are back at C&C95 modding efforts here atm. There's a long way to go to being sucessful.

Titan: I walk the middle ground evenly. I am not being entirely skeptical as I have seen the tools JonWil has put out and I know of some efforts [at the time I was unaware of Ju-Jin's however]. There is however a limit to how optimistic you can be. I retain hope, but not a huge amount of hope.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [40 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!