Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:15 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Nyerguds
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
ChronoSt0rm
Civilian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject:  Nyerguds Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(Delete)

Last edited by ChronoSt0rm on Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ChronoSt0rm
Civilian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks,
I wanted post a topic on the forum to get others to bring this to his attention.
It became apparent to me years ago that RA2 was getting the most attention. I originate from the Renegade community.

They aren't getting much support from higher up. None the less, more help would be appreciated even if RA2 is just a start.

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't have a clue what you actually want from me... I edit C&C95 without the source code, by hacking the actual exe file. And if Olaf wanted anything from me, he should just give me a shout on MSN.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EA has the source code for the games, well some...

If they where to release them, then i think you have more chance with C&C95 and RA95, Tiberian Sun would be a tricky one i think.

The EA Employees can not decided this themself, the bobble heads at EA have to decide this.

wardeathfun
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And lets face it, Ea does not know wtf they are doing sometimes Wink so the odds of them making a decision is slim. They will just stay quiet forever.

Eldrei
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If it won't happen then Olaf should focus on updating XCC Mixer.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why? Its open source, anyone can update it...

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wouldn't be surprised if the issue with releasing the source code of CNC games is that there is proprietary code inside them. I know that is the issue with the later CNCs; you can't even properly add new music in RA3 because the code behind that is proprietary.

It happened with DOOM for DOS/Windows; Id used a proprietary sound system and because of that, had to release the Linux source code to the game. (which fans had to subsequently port back to DOS)

(although Id learned their lesson...)

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No game before Yuri Revenge (Dunno about after) has any proprietary code, its all of under license of EA, main reason i suppose they used there own formats to being with.

Its becuase of red tape and access levels, APOC has said this a few times.

Titan
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These games are ancient, TS is more than 10 years old. Red Tape can be circumvented if you can convince the upper levels of EA management of the benefit in some particular action.

EA, like all other companies in the world, want money. How could we make releasing the source code of the freeware games profitable?

By buying their products en masse?
You bought games, then what? They won't feel guilty and release the source codes or anything , they'll just see a slight increase in revenue and that's it.

By holding a petition?
Ha-hah-hah-hah. No further comment

The only way you can be sure to convince them to release the source code is a conditional trade. Yes, buy it off them. I see no other solution. A possibility would be to raise funds in some way: advertising on a site, participating in an online advertisement campaign where people fill in questionaires or w/e. But how much money do you need? $1.000? $10.000? $50.000? $100.000? What happens to the money? Who gets hold of it? EA? Some random community member? I hope you all see the inherent problems with this idea. Good luck bringing this into practice, there is no other way since all EA wants is to make money.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Titan basically wrote what i could not be arsed to write #Tongue

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah.. This is the guy that runs the Westwood Studios facebook page. Sorry I should have given you a heads up beforehand, mr. guds

I guess the concern isn't specifically about the source code, mostly for the issues running the C&Cs on Win7 (which I personally haven't seen firsthand).

Yeah I've been a crappy middle-man

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon