Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 pm
All times are UTC + 0
PPM W3D Modelling Contest 2010
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [45 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject:  PPM W3D Modelling Contest 2010 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PPM W3D Modelling Contest 2010
A contest open to any and all to create a .w3d model for Generals/Zero Hour.

NEW DUE DATE: JULY 12th

Rules
A)1 submission per person

B)Submission should include model (w3d format), texture (dds format), additional models and textures (damaged etc), and a scenic ingame screenshot.

C)Model must be of a vehicle, aircraft, or (potentially) a base defense (I figured a base defense is virtually an immobile unit).

D)Submissions must be entered by June 30th, or possibly an extended date, granted there are not enough submissions.

E)Model must meet under the poly limit of 900 triangles maximum.

F)Model must be original work by the author; not ripped or converted etc

G)Submissions are to be sent to Orac. Anonymity does not matter.

Judges
Orac ,Gen.Kenobi, and The-Light are the three judges.

There shall be a panel of three judges (see above) who shall rate the models on a scale of 100 based on several categories, each category shall be out of 20 points. The scores of the judges shall be averaged together to determine the final score.

1-Creativity/Originality
2-Aestetics
3-Function (are the bones properly implimented, turret rotate correctly, treads rotate if there are treads, wheels spin if there are wheels, is the model properly sized compared to other generals vehicles, House color, etc)
4-Textures (Properly applied, detailed, etc)
5-Efficency (Under or over the poly limit)

Prizes
To Be Determined

So there ya go, get started working on those modes![/u][/b]

w3dbanner.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  160.43 KB
 Viewed:  9355 Time(s)

w3dbanner.png

Last edited by DaFool on Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:52 pm; edited 4 times in total

Orac
President

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd happily judge, if only to get a look at how the textures are properly applied #Tongue
Yeah, I can see this being a good contest..

MT
General

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fuck, its due right when my exams end and my holidays start. Sorry, looks like I can't enter.

Looks interesting though.

[TiberianFuture]
Scrin Overlord

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I might give it a try, if I can find enough time (and patience) to figure out how to set the model for generals... no matter if I have no skills in texturing what-so-ever.
So yeah, time to look at some generals tutorials and see how it goes after that Wink

Ladder wars vs. bikeRushOwnz.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm in Very Happy

Revolutionary
Commander

Location: Scotland, starting a Revolution Cameo: metricon. Posts:???

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If i can master 3D editing and Renx im in.

Do you want build/display images and/or code examples as well?

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good!

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's too bad someone hasnt made a w3d export plugin for Max10 yet other wise I'd be tempted to do this. I'm just not going to install required progs just for this sorry.

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

Orac
President

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can't you export a file to .3ds, then open it in RenX, then use the RenX w3d plugin?

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
export a file to .3ds, then open it in RenX

This.

I think we need a respectable amount of submissions to have a good contest, and I'd put that around five submissions. So if we need to postpone the due date, how much more time would you need MT (or anyone else who thinks the date is a little *too* short)?

Coding to get the unit ingame would be nice, as it would be the best way to see all the model's features. Maybe a cameo could be considered for a few bonus points.

Orac, you wanna be the initial judge? All submissions to him then.

Gen.Kenobi
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I want to be a judge Smile

I have plenty of experience with CnC Generals Modding & Modelling Smile

And GenDB could be the sponsor of this contest, if you want Smile

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dont know I'll have to think about it. I'm still knee deep into my mod, and plus I owe a few people some favors That I really need to get working on, so chances are no, but maybe.

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

Rico
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you have experience Kanobi then its best you enter, alot of us dont lol.
I could submit a model but I have 0 generals experience, so it would only be a model and textures. Perhaps have a side category for us?

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rico wrote:
If you have experience Kanobi then its best you enter, alot of us dont lol.
I could submit a model but I have 0 generals experience, so it would only be a model and textures. Perhaps have a side category for us?

Who says you need to supply coding #Tongue

Rico
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was refering to converting to w3d format, and possibly rigging the model (havent done for Generals before)

Gen.Kenobi
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you wish, I could add the codes for you.

You model, you skin, GenDB do the codding part [just for demonstration purposes, since we'll not make 1 unit mod #Tongue ]

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gen.Kenobi, you're the second judge then. Gendb is invloved if anything by default, because where else are the results gonna be posted #Tongue

If you little to no experience with the w3d format, send me a pm, and we'll talk about it a little bit.

Rico
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sweet, so the final question is, are there any limits for how many models we can submit?

EDIT: Renoticed the 1 submission rule, I retract my question, however suggest maybe allow more or unlimited (if there aren't enough submissions) Smile

Gen.Kenobi
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well...

If you wish to post models, do them and post it over GensDB!!! #Tongue If you need W3D help, PM me!

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I need answer to at least four questions before spreading the word about this contest:

1) Who are the judges?

2) Who should receive the submissions?

3) Should the submissions arrive anonymous at the judges or not?

4) Are the weight of the 5 rating categories the same?

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Banshee, done (although I still would like a panel of three judges)

@Rico, I'm not sure. Alot of submissions is good, but 1 person potentially winning 1st 2nd and 3rd isn't #Tongue

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The-Light has accepted my request to be the third judge.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sent in my entry. Who is still working for this?

[TiberianFuture]
Scrin Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It appears that I have hardly enough time for TI and CL, so I won't be able to take part.

Ladder wars vs. bikeRushOwnz.

Chronojam
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cranium wrote:
It's too bad someone hasnt made a w3d export plugin for Max10 yet other wise I'd be tempted to do this. I'm just not going to install required progs just for this sorry.

It will be done eventually, we've got other pressing concerns.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just made my submission.

We have 6 days to go until the due date, this a problem for anyone?

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well.. A first and second place should be easy to decide on.. Unless there is a really big challenge in deciding which of the two submissions is best..

MT
General

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

So tell me, would one lose anything by having a poly limit of say, 899? #Tongue

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MT wrote:
Quote:

So tell me, would one lose anything by having a poly limit of say, 899? #Tongue

900 triangles is the comp's limit for vehicles.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok guys, due date is tomorrow, so... submit or make your request for an extension now!

Gen.Kenobi
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh! Am I a judge? Because i haven't received anything to judge yet...

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I said you were, and I said submissions go to Orac, who should then send them to you guys (that being you and the-light).

Problem is, there are only 2 submissions...So anyone who still wants to enter, how much time do you think you need?

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How many other people are working on a submission?

Arselona
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaFool wrote:
Problem is, there are only 2 submissions...So anyone who still wants to enter, how much time do you think you need?

Only 2!

Ill enter just for fun! Razz Make things more interesting, but I wont be able to convert it to .w3d or give you a scenic ingame screenshot as I have no clue how to mod generals, and I dont really want to install it too.#Tongue

All ill submit is the model+textures+damaged model. I dont care if I lose point as im only doing it for fun and I should have it finished by tomorrow.

Wolven
Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Only 2? damn i should have submitted something.

Gen.Kenobi
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Arselona: I'lll convert for ya!

@Wolven: You can still do it!

Wolven
Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see! well I'll texture what I've got. But I'll need to model converting by someone else since I don't think my version of Max supports the converter.

Arselona
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gen.Kenobi wrote:
@Arselona: I'lll convert for ya!

Thanks.

Questions: What size/resolution should the texture sheet be for generals, what color for remap and is remap texture seperate from the diffuse texture

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it would be best if the due date is pushed so that people can take advantage of this and next weekend, so the new date is Monday the 12th.

Gen.Kenobi
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could you make it Friday 16th? I have exams...

@Wolven: I'll do the converting!
@Arselona: The best is 512x512 DDS DXT 3 But i reccomed you do TGAs..

Wolven
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gen.Kenobi awesome sauce

The-Light
Grenadier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This was the last deliverence day right? Anyway, the next time i'll be online will probably be on thursday, so if i get sent things to judge and don't reply, than that's why, i'll try to check around tomorrow.

Arselona
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well Im finished now.
[was EDITED/ change of plan]

How many submissions are there in total now?

Orac
President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You, Dutchygamer's, and DaFool have all made a submission - but I can't seem to find DaFool's entry...

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm ready to post my scores, and the models - if the rest of the judges could PM me their own results?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [45 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon