Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Modding Fallout 3 for PC
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [37 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
hotrods20
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject:  Modding Fallout 3 for PC Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi I was going to start modding FO3 for the PC but I don't know the proper software I would need. I have already gotten the G.E.C.K modding software but nothing else. So where could I find anything that might be more useful than what google and bing host? All they really do is put the link with the most keywords at the top.

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I touched in Fallout 3 modding for a tiny, tiny bit. I only did basic edits via G.E.C.K. and that's all. I modified guns to shoot different projectiles and such.

From my knowledge I believe the G.E.C.K. is pretty much the modding tool. I don't know of any other modding tools around, but I'd be most likely wrong if I said there weren't any.

All I know about the G.E.C.K. is you can create new levels, edit objects, even create new objects. I'm unsure how scripting and that is handled, but it is prolly handled in the G.E.C.K.

Uh, your mod is assembled in the software and is created as a .bsa File which is a Fallout data package. Another random fact is that the levels "snap" together. IE - You make pieces and they fit to each other in the editor by snapping.

I highly suggest you check out some of their tutorials and such.
-Setting up your G.E.C.K.
-Getting Started!
-Tutorials
-Video Tutorials

I don't know the preferred software for modeling things in that game. I'm guessing it's 3ds Max. However, I could be wrong. Other than that I don't know much else about modifying the Fallout 3 engine. Though, I will be touching in it again sometime soon. Wink

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Joshy is correct. G.E.C.K. is even the official tool created by Bethesda (the creators of FO3) to mod this game.

Revolutionary
Commander

Location: Scotland, starting a Revolution Cameo: metricon. Posts:???

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Might be useful to note, if you create a new weapon or armor you have to extract the files you need and put them in folders (a bit like generals before you put them in a big file) if you are just using stuff from ingame you can delete the folders after but if its new stuff you have to keep it there unless you put it in one of the other files (im not on my pc ith fallout so atm im not much help)

I you need a archive extractor tool to get the stuff out the files, a link to it should be on the official tutorials somewhere

Atm im working on adding in some of the hidden stuff like the cryo weapons and the pink power armor #Tongue

Edit this FAQ is use ful to look at Wink
http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_modding_FAQ

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I never really messed with Fallout 3 or GECK, but I modded the HELLZ out of Morrowind, and I still do. Fallout 3 has potential, but I cannot make assets that are close to even fitting in.

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Joshy is correct. G.E.C.K. is even the official tool created by Bethesda (the creators of FO3) to mod this game.

Indeed, indeed.

Also, Revolutionary is correct.

Although, along with Reg's statement I must say: People shouldn't be discouraged from modding a certain engine because they lack modeling or artistic knowledge. Playing with assets already in the game is good practice until you get your feet wet in the art section. Smile

I suggest you go pick up a copy of the G.E.C.K. and get to it! Very Happy I remember doing hilarious mods with that game.

Sidenote: Anyone made a new map for that game? Is it rather difficult? Seemed so to me, but I never actually tried it. Neutral

hotrods20
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was thinking of a whole new wasteland but then I thought it will take me awhile. So what I'm going to do is every couple of months release a tid bit of info on my mod. Starting now I have to get a new copy of the game. My dog went smash-mouth on the cd and it wasn't even on the floor it was on my desk when I was going to get a glass of H2O then when I come back there it is several diffrent pieces. (hate that dog for now)

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I was thinking of a whole new wasteland but then I thought it will take me awhile. So what I'm going to do is every couple of months release a tid bit of info on my mod. Starting now I have to get a new copy of the game. My dog went smash-mouth on the cd and it wasn't even on the floor it was on my desk when I was going to get a glass of H2O then when I come back there it is several diffrent pieces. (hate that dog for now)

That really sucks dude. I'd be mad if my dog did it, but it lacks any capability of doing it even if it was on my floor. (It's blind)

Anyway, why release info every few months? I'd get my stuff together and really plan it out well and do a full mod announce. Mod announcing bits and pieces is lame. Confused

Make sure you have a clear and concise idea of what you want to do.

hotrods20
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got the full idea set and my first priority after getting a working copy will be creating vault -1 the only vault build over ground.

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well good.

By the way, I couldn't help but try out the G.E.C.K. again and made a silly mod that places a new weapon in the Megaton clinic. It shoots plasma grenades as projectiles. Very Happy

Here's pic: Picture

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wanted to create a copy of the Rocket Launcher, but I couldn't find all the stuff it required (model, textures), nor was there a simple option to completely copy a weapon Confused

Stygs
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

uh, just change the name of the weapon and klick ok.
The GECK will the ask if you want to rename the weapon or if you want to make a copy with the new name. Simply say "No" to rename and you have a perfekt copy of the missile launcher with all models working.

Last edited by Stygs on Sat May 15, 2010 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seriously? I feel silly now -.-

hotrods20
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My mod will add a traffic cone mine. :^)

inzane krazy
General

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well well well, what do we have here?

Go get Geck, learn it, you have to do a few tweaks to the Geck itself to be able to load multiple ESMs/ESPs at the same time.

ALSO, FO3EDIT = For all your conflict and merge patch needs

hotrods20
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will get right on that after I check out Walmart for a new copy of FO3

Revolutionary
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Personaly i use the Geck, FOMM (cause the launcher which came with the game didnt work +you needed the cd to launch the launcher) and FO3 Archive to extract thing if needed
other than that ive been lazy in fact most of my reskins have involved extracting the skins + 3d models renaming them, editing the skin the Hex editing the .Nif file to look for my new skin

I may as well ask the question any one Recomend any Other Good Tuts (posted by the FO3 community)?

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some good tutorials here: Fallout 3 Nexus

I just use the G.E.C.K. and the Fallout 3 Launcher for launching my mods.

inzane krazy
General

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, and, if you're gonna base your mods heavily on other mods, be sure to use FOMM.

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Will do. Very Happy

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And CAILBR, it creates several commonly found ammunition types to use in your mod because if you do not the following will happen.

Guns share the same ammo in object type, not name. So Person A creates a 5.56mm ammo type weapon, and Person B creates a 5.56mm ammo type weapon mod. The two mods will not be able to use the same ammunition because the game treats them as different objects. Having CALIBR for ammo types really smooths out everything.

Better explanation here.

http://www.fileplanet.com/207791/200000/fileinfo/Fallout-3---CALIBR:-Community-Ammunition-Library

ghost of Christmas past

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or you can get xCalibr, wich is the same but it adds some nice models for most of the the CALIBR ammunition.

Ghost of Christmas past

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't mind me, no edit function for guests, should be seeings as the forum software tracks your IIP regardless.

Moding tools you'll need:
-GECK
-FOMM (Fallout Mod Manager, so much better than the launcher that comes with the game, lets you change your load order, and comes with a utility for extracting BSAs, he FO3 equivalent of a .MIX0
-NifSkope (for tweaking and resizing models, e.g. if making compatible with RH_Ironsights)
-FO3Edit (A simpler tool for editing esps and esms, lets you delete records to help with compatibility or create a merged patch)
-Blender (The only modelling tool with a .nif export/import plugin IIRC)

As for the identity of this informed interloper? Suffice to say I was once amongst you.

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the info.

Quote:

As for the identity of this informed interloper? Suffice to say I was once amongst you.

Hmm, random guess, but Mortecha?

Ghost of Christmas Past

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nay, good sir.

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dang. Ah well.

Quote:
.nif export/import

:O

I really don't like Blender. I hope somebody has done any sort of .nif plugs for other 3d apps.

Ghost of Christmas Past

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Possibly, you could just model in something else then open it it blender, 3dsmax would be good, there's an option to generate a compatible collision mesh. There are tutorials about how to rig up weapons for Fallout 3 animations, unfortunately there's a limited set of them that can't really be added too (apart from reloading by way of scripting black magic).

Having seen your work anything you chose to do will look good and be at the high-poly end of the spectrum.

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, I'll have to look into it. Certainly great info.

Quote:
Having seen your work anything you chose to do will look good and be at the high-poly end of the spectrum.

Hah, thanks. Very Happy

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fallout Vegas....

WHO'S WITH ME?!

Revolutionary
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Regulus wrote:
Fallout Vegas....

WHO'S WITH ME?!

Me, however im still going to try to mod FO3 but im going to wait for Vegas if i plan to do any thing BIG.

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, have you taken a look at the screenshots for New Vegas? #Tongue

Looks like there are no engine improvements. Wait for Fallout 4 if you are wanting something new.

I'd just stick to Fallout 3.

Revolutionary
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Joshy wrote:
Well, have you taken a look at the screenshots for New Vegas? #Tongue

Yes i have and i like the looks and sound (story wise) of this game slightly better. if there is anything i think FO:NV hasnt got that FO3 has i can mod it in and i remember reading something about them having the source so there may be some new stuff

as for FO4 id rather not count my mirelurks before my eggs have hatched, ill move to NV because i like the sound of it (atm) better, of course i haven said any thing about not moving over to 4 from NV and NV might be a disappointment.

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Indeed. All we can do is wait for New Vegas to come out, and see how it is. Wink

inzane krazy
General

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Joshy wrote:

Hmm, random guess, but Mortecha?

If I recall correctly, I have seen him upload once or twice in the Nexus.

Also, heres hoping New Vegas will fix everything wrong from FO3, and better graphics as well, last I saw, it was using the same engine and the same props from FO3, made me sad thinking that they wouldn't replace the old props.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

Come on... what possible reason can you have for continuing that juvenile façade?

Ghost of Christmas Past
Grenadier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Because I can. Because my past deeds - though I am not ashamed of them - tend to colour people's expectations, and even causes some to disregard my points. To that end the deeds may stay, and at some later date I may allow them to be attatched to me once more. For now; however, they can stay attributed to another name from another era.

marcoinno
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

best ones you'll get are those, why won't they work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [37 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum