Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:55 am
All times are UTC + 0
Brainstorm: Tiberian Sun : ???
Moderators: Generals Moderators, Global Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject:  Brainstorm: Tiberian Sun : ???
Subject description: Tactical Response Division Campaign/Mod
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've always had this brainstorm idea of having a post firestorm campaign that involved GDI fleshing out its new roles in a "post-apocalyptic" society. I never liked Tiberium Wars approach with blue zones, and though the idea is great, I felt that the ecology of the area was too "green" for a planet with an atmosphere that was dangerously toxic to humans.

Anyway. The whole story/mod revolves around a new division called the Tactical Response Division, or simply the 20th Response Division.

Code:

The Division consists of 4 Combat oriented brigades, an Aviation brigade, and an Engineering Brigade. With each brigade consisting of only 2,000 men (lower number because of reduced population) there are 12,000 soldiers in this unit.

This division is unique in that, rather than having a single home base or location, it is spread out around tactical locations across the globe. I've considered using space stations as their means of deployment, waiting aboard them until they are called into action.

This unit specializes in immediate response to an emergency area, and can sort of been seen as the evolution of the drop pod infantry and the dropship concept, with the capability of being on the ground in a few hours.

The campaign would initially place the player character as a lieutenant over a platoon in the 2nd Combat Brigade, and would follow a promotion path similar to Red Alert: Retaliation, with each success bringing a new grade and more responsibility.

The division emphasizes on the mobile base concept. Rather than deploying a traditional construction yard, transports carry down mobile versions of buildings, and the game play would focus more on actual tactical missions like Tiberian Dawn did, rather than build and destroy missions. With the player character not actually receiving a base until the fourth mission or so, when he would reach the rank of Captain.

I've played around with the idea of giving the T.R.D. several hover vehicles, maximizing their mobility, but at the same time, in the event of an Ion Storm...well, you know. Come to think of it, that would make a great mission.

Nod would play a smaller role in this campaign in the beginning, and the player would be taken places all over the world, and I would like to develop some concepts that were hinted at in Tiberian Sun but were never fully developed, like the reliance on the monorail system for arctic colonies, and the riots and protests that occur in the "yellow zones" Eventually, Nod, or a splinter cell there of, would begin becoming problematic for the player character. I really havn't considered much on the actual story line though.

Any way, your thoughts are appreciated.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's my theory:
Make the mod more politics based, TS had some level of such (Mutant/Civilian riots, etc.) but really didn't explore the drastically changing world, both in terms of countries and environments.

The monorail is a good example of this, with the external temperatures and atmosphere becoming deadly to humans, transport would become more dangerous (hence the civilian cars dumped at the side of the road, and the ruins of many smaller cities).

If this were to come to fruition, then the mutants would have to have a larger part to play - this world would be their element, maybe they could be an opponent, or a more compassionate side.

I had a somewhat similar idea a while back, but never had the time or resources to complete the task.
I'd suggest that you consider which game you use - TS has some options, but TW has others.

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think this would be better classified as a light modification. I don't intend to do a major graphics overhaul or anything of that nature. I will definitely add in some new things and what not, but I wanted it to be strictly story based.

I especially agree with the depiction of the developing tiberium world and the roles people play in it. I wanted to portray what was really going on, using things from TS:AE, and my own imagination.

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Double post win.

Here is a unit list for GDI's Tactical Response Division. "[brackets]" denotes vanilla units and don't really need an introduction.

It should be noted that, by its nature, TRD is more of an Airborne Division rather than an Infantry Division. It should also be noted that TRD only operates in an area for a brief period of time, until more conventional GDI forces can take over and control the situation.

-Infantry-

[Rifleman]
[Disk Thrower]
[Medic]
[Engineer]

Mechanic - Mission Specific infantry that appear early in the campaign when you are still a Captain over a Company (200 men). These will be your lifeline in certain missions that require you to keep vehicles alive as long as possible.

Commando - Ghost stalker by a different name. These infantry are available through drop pod reinforcement and are somewhat weaker in firepower then Ghost Stalker himself.

Code:
Name: Commando
Armor: Light
Primary: Electromagnetic Rail Driver
Secondary: Composition C4 explosive charge
Availability: Mission Specific

- Vehicles -

Light Recon Hoverlift Vehicle (LRHV) - This is a very fast and very mobile recon unit available to the player at the Company level. It could be considered the TRD's HMMWV. It sports a 30mm bushmaster cannon. The LRHV very susceptible to Ion interference. (Note, this may be replaced by a wheeled version with the same specifications)

Code:
Name: Light Recon Hoverlift Vehicle
Alias:  Pending
Category: Recon
Armor: Light
Armor Strength: To be determined
Speedtype: Hover
Primary: Bushmaster 30mm Armor Piercing
Secondary: Bushmaster 30mm High Explosive
Availability: Company Level
Rank Available: Captain

Light Wheeled Force Projection Vehicle - (LWFPV) - (FPV) - A vehicle designed for low intensity engagements and recon. It sports a single 105mm - 120mm cannon and is pretty agile in most terrain. It has difficulty navigating craggy terrain, so maneuver accordingly. It has been hardened to resist Ion interference, but concentrated Electromagnetic pulses will disable the vehicle.

Code:
Name: Light Wheeled Force Projection Vehicle 
Alias: Pending
Category: AFV
Armor: Heavy
Armor Strength: To be determined
Speedtype: Wheeled
Primary: 105mm AP
Elite Primary: 120mm AP
Availability: Company Level
Rank Available: Captain

More later

Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TRD sounds a lot like my mod's main GDI faction, a fast response/assault team deployed from orbit, though the main difference it's that it relies mainly on mechs, due to the rough terrain caused by the tiberium devastation, and since hovercraft are very susceptible to ion storms to be main combat units. Mixed with the other subfaction, occupation forces, if you want, which is just scattered all around the world, protecting places of interest.
Anyways cool idea I like it.

On a side note, infantry can't heal vehicles, but I guess you can edit the unit to be actually a vehicle, and that would work.

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, its a play on the Renegade tech. It might end up being classed as a type of Power suit retrofitted for repair work.

daviperdragon
Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cant wait to hear more about it.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like this

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm...
Any further thought to this, Regulus? It really is a great idea! Smile

Especially if you can get a little bit of support behind you, seeing as you mentioned this being a 'light modification', it would be possible to keep momentum more easily because of the drastic changes in gameplay and the smaller size/scope of mod in relation to a few noteworthy TCs..

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do like the political idea, half the time, politics' words are what start wars and determine key factors of them.

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As a matter of fact, I have been working on this here and there. My other projects are getting more serious attention, but I day dream about it here and there.

I was actually thinking about drop pods for Wolverines that drop down and deliver them al la Warhammer style, although slightly less violent. The animation would simply fly down and map scripts would handle the rest, ie actually spawning the units, etc.

The campaign is set to take place almost immediately after Firestorm, and shows rising tension between GDI and Nod, (as usual, although, not in a straight forward way.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!