Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:55 am
All times are UTC + 0
FA2 Overlay limit
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject:  FA2 Overlay limit Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been trying to add several new walls but it seam that FA2 is unable to use more then 258 overlays Confused If I select any of the new overlays then FA2 will crash, however I should point out that ingame they work perfectly fine.

I've tested moving GASAND (No.1 in the list) to 260 & the new wall at 260 to the top of the list, the results being the new wall works fine but if you select sandbags FA2 crashes.

So has anyone else encountered this before? I doubt anything can be done to fix this but there are lots of unused overlays so I can always just override them to get my new walls working, it puzzles me tho why just overlays & way 258.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds a lot like this.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, thats strange. I'm at 264=ROCK11 and havent come across this error yet.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It could be just walls, I'll try with a simple overlay.

Edit: Nope nothing past 258 will work in FA2 for me :/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig add this into your FAData.ini , there should already be a [YROverlay] entry, just comment it out so you know what you changed in case this dosent work for you.

[RA2Overlay]
Begin=01
End=255

[YROverlay]
Begin=256; which number is the first from new YR overlay?
End=999

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice thought but didn't help.

I've used all my usual debugging techniques & haven't got anywhere so I'm at a loss.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well after reviewing a little further, It seems I have 8 overlays commented out, which is why I believed it was letting me use higher numbers than 256. So indeed the overlay limit is 256. and even more so convinced by what it says in the "set overlay manually" dialog box. It says "enter number of overlay from 0-255, do not exceed 255"

What the hell is up with all this 256 limit crap?

But like you say, there is a crap full of unused overlay to reuse.

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's an unsigned byte used to give the max length. Not much you can really do.

Steam

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think Westwood wrote FinalSun with the amount of crap that application contains...

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yea, it looks like 256 was westwoods magical number for alot of things. I did however notice that the lists start to repeat themselves. If all 01-256 numbers were already used and you input 257= it starts all over from the beginning. So if like 01=GASAND so too will 257=GASAND regardless of what name you listed. Thats how it works in my FA2, I dont get the IE like Mig is getting.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

256 ain't a 'magic' number: as Fen already mentioned, it's the max value of a unsigned byte. It's used often in programing.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I didnt mean it like that. But I'm sure if westwood wanted too, they could have made it to accept more than 256.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cranium wrote:
I didnt mean it like that. But I'm sure if westwood wanted too, they could have made it to accept more than 256.

I think they choose this as the next step (byte iirc) can take way more then WW ever planned (why take a type that can have over 10000 entries when you only need about 100).
This is only me guessing of course, as I didn't design the game #Tongue

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, after all Westwood was really only making the game - modding interests aren't usually taken into account.
Then again, things which are taken into account tend to include stability, grammar and spelling, and not giving hard drugs and alcohol to your programmers, so Westwood may have been trying to break the conventional mold.

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:
not giving hard drugs and alcohol to your programmers

This is Westwood we're talking about. They would have been blitzed 24/7 to make the decisions they did.

Steam

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon