Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Languages...How to start properly?
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Shadow Hunter
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject:  Languages...How to start properly? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Soo i some time ago was trying to learn Java, as i like that area and all, soo i started and saw some documents in internet on how it works with examples and all, looks fine and all, but i dunno, what you guys think, i should keep on it for now, or theres is some easier languages i could learn before, its "useless"?, what i can do with with each one? Or its better i know what i wanna do in future before i start learning?

Though i don't know what i may do with them, i feel at the moment interested, soo its more like to learn anyways...

hotrods20
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

System.out.printLn("Learn java!");
System.out.printLn("Just do it!")
System.out.printLn("It is really easy!")
System.our.printLn("I can even help you sometimes.")

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Books, tutorials online will only teach to you much. If you cant find or afford a book, download a eBook torrent of said book. Books will guide you though your skill levels.

Untrue
Jumpjet Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are seven basic things that are mostly common in programming languages;
1. Operators and Operands
2. Main Function and Functions
3. Loops
4. Alterations (check no 1)
5. Boolean
6. Comments
7. Input/Output

Most common datatypes in programming languages;
1. int
2. float
3. char
4. double
5. structures
6. foo
7. bool
8. void

If you want to go through basics then learn C because it's lightweight in your head and you don't have to use much logic (that's why most professional programmers don't need to learn C because it's too easy for them). C isn't the best language that is there but C has the most common properties in most languages. When you're into it then upgrade to C++. Might as well include C--.

Also don't worry about making mistakes in compiling programs because you'll learn through them.

It is best to search through Google, read books or go to CPlusPlus. It's also best to ask professional programmers like DCoder, AlexB, Ren, Furry Queen, CCHyper, Wess, Orac, IcySon55, and gufu. Most veterans here are pro in programming. I'm just a newbie at this stuff...

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I taught myself Assembly and C/C++ myself, by editing applications and source code. Thats the way i learn though, everyone is different. But books still are highly noted.

Unless you want to go to College, Uni or School to study.

Untrue
Jumpjet Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CCHyper wrote:
I taught myself Assembly and C/C++ myself, by editing applications and source code.

I was taught that C and C++ were not the same.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

C++ is based on C, so if you know ASM, C becomes easy to understand, and if you know C, then C++ is pretty easy after you learn about OO and polymorphism.

Shadow Hunter
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, actually, i tried to get in another school (actually after my school in another one as they don't have it in my one) to learn more about (computing is the word?) Anyways i didn't get the vacancy and now until the middle of the year possibly i will teach "myself" it. xD

Anyways yeah i didn't tough much about ebooks or books to learn at all, its an good tough, i will probably now keep on java as i found it rather easy now (ok not really, something still confuse me like class and etc...) and then i will try C as it look really useful. #Tongue

Anyways, hexadecimal and decimal can be considered languages? Or like only an form of codes? (Yes its really an question, simple thinks sometimes confuses me more than harder things.)

By the way, thanks for the help soo far.

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CCHyper wrote:
polymorphism.

Nightmares.

Steam

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Online tutorials help a lot. I began with VB.net four years ago by going through Visual Studio's Visual Basic Guided Tour, and after learning VB pretty well I switched to C# and have now been writing it for about two years. I haven't read many books, mostly online tutorials. After the basics, I've got more experienced by simply writing my own programs.

Keep in mind that once you learn one language well, learning new languages is easy.

Atari2600
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I learned Java back in HS, then moved on to C++ when I got to college. Ive dabbled in Pascal, x86 Assembler, PBASIC, and even vintage Microsoft BASIC V2.

Currently, Im learning the subtitles of straight C.

Untrue
Jumpjet Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shadow Hunter wrote:
Anyways, hexadecimal and decimal can be considered languages? Or like only an form of codes?

Hexa and decimal is part of number systems. There are four types binary(2), octal(8), decimal(10) and hexadecimal(16).

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IMO, it's useful to first learn how to read code before you start trying to write it. Just to get a hang on the conventions and syntax used in the language.

That said, I can read/identify some C but can't really create my own #Tongue

ArvinCool
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am also learning Java right now. I have a amazing book, I cant even believe how awesome this book is, unfortunately its not in english.

The book says wrote:
A library is buying 30 pieces of a book, and 70 pieces of another book. The first book cost 125 each, and the second 210.5 each.
Create a program that with mathematic give you the total price.

Code:
class theshit

{
   public static void main (String[] args)

{

byte numberofbookone = 30;
   byte bookoneprice = 125;
   int totalpricebookone;
   totalpricebookone = numberofbookone * bookoneprice;

System.out.println ("30 pieces of book one cost: " + totalpricebookone);

byte numberofbooktwo = 70;
   float booktwoprice = 210.5f;
   float totalpricebooktwo;
   totalpricebooktwo = numberofbooktwo * booktwoprice ;

System.out.println ("70 pieces of book two cost: " + totalpricebooktwo);
   System.out.println ("");
   float totalprice = totalpricebookone + totalpricebooktwo;
   System.out.println ("Total price: " + totalprice);

}
}

The results(se attached image)
This is good for two days of study imo.

basic.PNG
 Description:
just basic stuff
 Filesize:  13.76 KB
 Viewed:  7744 Time(s)

basic.PNG

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FurryQueen wrote:
Nightmares.

Loads of them, fun eh?

Shadow Hunter wrote:
Anyways, hexadecimal and decimal can be considered languages? Or like only an form of codes?

This is just a stupid statement, they are no way to be considered a language...

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Untrue wrote:
DCoder, AlexB, Ren, Furry Queen, CCHyper, Wess, Orac, IcySon55, and gufu.

I laughed. I am about as professional at this point, as a cake made of gravel. I've only had some experience in VB.Net and Java. I can probably make sense of some parts of C* Languages, I would at best, consider myself a novice.

CCHyper wrote:
I taught myself Assembly...

My good sir, my respect for you has grown even more.

Shadow Hunter
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@CCHyper: Thats why i said it was an stupid question. XP But thanks. #Tongue

@Arvin: Lol, well from what i see, it explains the basics in an really simple way. #Tongue (Class theshit? lol. XD)

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd never use bytes for those values though; they're obviously the kind of data that could easily exceed 255 if the program accepted some input instead of just doing the calculations with constants. Bytes should only be used for values that ARE bytes, like RGB colour components, UTF-8 characters, or actual bytes read from files.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum