Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 am
All times are UTC + 0
FAQ: The importance of a well written post.
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject:  FAQ: The importance of a well written post.
Subject description: And why we care so much about a proper grammar, punctuation, organization, etc...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did ever happen to you, when you make a post in the forum, asking for help or something like that... you wanna type it quickly or have a limited english, so you ignore proper punctuation, grammar, etc... and you get few replies (if any) that usually aren't much helpful at all... or even rude?

You may wonder why people do that. But there is a good reason behind it. First of all, imagine yourself as a reader of these messages. So, let's get some samples and see if they are as easy to read as the rest of this text:

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16714
Quote:
if i send in my song that i want converting could some one help me with it because i had tried before but i can't do it

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16491
Quote:
Has body got an i.o.n storm guide it one of the super weapon i want in my mod pleas Very Happy

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193231#193231
Quote:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHEN I F**KING TRY TO INSTALL IT IT SAY COULD'T OPEN THE FILE "C:/PROGRAM FILES/WINAMP//PLUGINSOUT_AUD.DLL" FOR WRITING. IT JUST REALY F**KING ANNOYS ME WHEN THING DON'T WORK FFFFFFFF*******************************KKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG HHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad. And please don't say thing about my grama like in the other topics all i did is as for some help

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193221#193221
Quote:
I hate to admit it but my rulesmd is 1 and a half years from now without deletion yet I even forgot were I tweak it but I just discovered it last week that it can build two in the same time! And only Soviets can build in double that is why I'm asking to all people in the PPM site (It's because I want make it also for the Allies and Yuri and, even make it triple build in the same time)!

These are just few recent ones, but there are many, really many of these posts.

So, the first problem that you may notice here is that it is hard or impossible to understand these messages.

The second problem noticed with this kind of post is that these people may want to post faster, but they forget that they are slowing down those who are reading it. Remember, a person posts once, but a topic can be read thousand of times. So, a thousand of people should be wasting time because one person wants to gain time once in his (her) life. Is that a fair deal?

The third problem is that the person shows lack of care for its own posts and for those who will read it. In short, the person does not respect the readers of his (her) post. How do you expect to be respected by others if you don't respect them? Are you some kind of God? Of course, no. We are all homo sapiens sapiens here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what should be done in order to show some proper respect and presentation to your posts? Here are few basic requirements:

1) Use punctuation, commas, etc...

2) Start sentences with a capital letter.

3) Separate your ideas into short paragraphs, easy to be read.

4) Make your best to construct sentences in the most comprehensive way possible for the readers, even if you are not a native english speaker.

5) Make your best to spell the words correctly. There are spell checkers available as well as dictionary.com. Avoid abbreviations whenever possible, unless you are using a very long term, but in this case, explain the abbreviation used in post at the first time you use it.

6) Do not use caps, unless on extreme cases. Words written in caps are used to shout at people and they are completely unnecessary on 100% of the cases. Bold and underline are more useful when you want spotlight certain points of your message.

7) Do not abuse with smilies. Use them once in a situation, instead of the same smilie consecutively.

Cool Avoid making your posts stretch the topic. You can do that by avoiding images with more than 800 pixels wide and avoid extreme repetition of letters in a word. Example: looooooooooooong, the 'o' was repeated too much.

Nobody is forced to have an amazing english or be a native english speaker. I am not a native english speaker and that doesn't prevent me from being understood by any of you, neither prevents me from doing decently written posts that are not annoying for readers.

Even if your english is not good yet, you can use this forum as an opportunity to improve it and learn with it. It will be good for you and, of course, for your english communication skills.

And this is also important if you are looking to be respected in any forum that you visit. Well written posts helps a lot to get people to respect you.

So, get posting and happy foruming.

Last edited by Banshee on Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:25 pm; edited 2 times in total

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very good Bansh, hopefully people will use this to there advantage.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heh, that very angry quote reminds me of something very funny CrashKing did, back in the TumSun.com day's. #Tongue

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well I deleted the post in that third link, whoops.

Nice job Banshee, hopefully people will start linking to here, rather than just bursting into flame

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

darknessvolt
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm a failure right? And about the third quote can you fix the url?

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee for admin! Yay... oh wait... Anyway - I do like what people finaly try to make this an issiue rather than screaming in every topic:"What you say?"

Dubzac
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

darknessvolt wrote:

Nah their just saying it as a example. why you ask,yep i think we both fail to understand but what he is trying to say its just order it his way and you'll do fine on all forums. Rolling Eyes

darknessvolt
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dubzac wrote:
darknessvolt wrote:

Nah their just saying it as a example. why you ask,yep i think we both fail to understand but what he is trying to say its just order it his way and you'll do fine on all forums. Rolling Eyes

Yeah thank you Dubzac!

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

darknessvolt wrote:
And about the third quote can you fix the url?

I can't. The post was deleted. There is no way to restore it.

darknessvolt
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's ok I understand.

Anderwin
General

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee why you look to topics some are deleted from the forum? Is not make any sense then.

Dark you not a failure because bad grammar and so on.
I have not fail yet and I'm will not fail to be on this forum with a bad grammar.

Even PPM helped me to write much better English then I did before. I still learn and nobody can be kickass in something. We learn every days so Smile Even its a language, historic, modding and so on.

Just try to understand, dont ask stupid question and so on. Do not attack or flame people and people in this forum will like you more and more.

Even I have be here so long are not loved or maybe liked so :p

Read what you write before you press on post :p. Is can help a lot =)
Q edit: Thanks for the link to the dictionary site. Is will help me more Smile

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anderwin, the third example was not deleted when I posted this topic. Few minutes later, before reading this topic, Team Black deleted the post (not the whole topic). But the sample was too good to replace it.

Anderwin
General

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, then i see.
I think you linked to a dead topic for a long time ago.

Crash
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aro wrote:
Heh, that very angry quote reminds me of something very funny CrashKing did, back in the TumSun.com day's.

Huh? What topic was that? Razz I remember I wrote without punctation and grammar, only used what I could. The posts weren't that bad. They were better than these examples. But I started using punctation and grammar fully afterwards. People who are used to use punctation in their first language should be able in english too, and then grammar shall be tried to be used. BTW Aro, you don't use apostrophes in plural forms of nouns. Laughing

But yeah, nice guide Banshee! I'll link newbs to this if needed Smile

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Remember TumSun?

Quote:
NODS VIPER YOU ARE THE BESTEST!!!!!!!!! FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER...

Need I remind you? #Tongue

(I never was a grade A english student Laughing)

Crash
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol, that. I thought you referred to something about being mad. But yeah, I do remember that. I was such a n00b. Embarassed

friday-13th
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
And please don't say thing about my grama

........No one was gonna ask about your grandma...
LMAO!!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAH
Sorry,I had to do it Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
darknessvolt
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

friday-13th wrote:
Quote:
And please don't say thing about my grama

........No one was gonna ask about your grandma...
LMAO!!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAH
Sorry,I had to do it Smile

Ummm... I think it's "grammar".

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea, he tried to say 'grammar', but friday13th was having fun at the guy's bad spelling.

chrsy0579
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just to point something out that I noticed while reading this, but you wrote: "Are you some kind of God? Of course, no. We are all homo sapiens sapiens here"
You added two "sapiens" Wink (Yes i know i'm a grammar nazi, sorry about that, i'm just a grammar freak) :S

http://cncmasters.zxq.net/PhpBB/index.php

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Too bad you're a grammar nazi not a biology nazi.

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pwnt. #Tongue

Also, on the topic of well-written posts...

wut r gooegl?

But damn, that Grandma thing was hilarious.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!