Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 am
All times are UTC + 0
Capture the Flag - Gamemode
Moderators: Tiberian Odyssey Active Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Morpher
General

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject:  Capture the Flag - Gamemode Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Capture the Flag

In Capture the Flag mode (CTF) the objective of the game is not to just destroy your opponent, but instead to capture their Flag building. This Gamemode differs from Standard (Deathmatch / DM) gameplay in several ways to create a more balanced and unique playing style. Each player begins the game with a Flag building / unit.

The Flag is the heart of your base and will act as a construction yard, although it differs in several ways. Flags are indestructable and can not be destroyed, they can only be captured via the traditional CnC Engineer way. Very limited base construction is supported from your flag, only a few Power Plants, one Barracks / Hand of Nod, one War Factory, one Radar and one Helipad can be constructed during a match with very limited rebuilding oppurtunities (bases similar to that of CnC: Renegade) so extra care must be given towards the protection of those buildings.

The arsenal of units available to you is also drastically changed during CTF mode. As with buildings, a very limited supply of buildable units will be offered to you which consists of; infantry, a basic tank, a scout vehicle and a basic transport. To keep gameplay balanced, new / different units will take some of the roles of the familiar faction units. In this case the Hover Tank, Scorpion Tank and modified Phase APC (no cloaking) are used. Nod also has access to a vehicle air-lift unit similar to the Carry-All. The Costs of these units are also modified to balance gameplay and to prevent spamming.

Supply Depots are your primary source of income and additional supplies. Supply Depots will generate a Goodie Crate after a timed interval (varies between map and the depot) which contains; credits, additional unobtainable units, powerups and the occasional superweapon. As you have limited units and credits Supply Depots are invaluable to gaining needed funds and powering up your team of units, looking after precious units and utilizing powerups will allow you to create unique task forces. Random crates can also be utilized to gain similar benefits (most / all negative Crates are removed).

The AI in CTF mode will also be especially scripted for the mode. The enemy AI will patrol and guard the Supply Depots as well as collect the goodies for themselves, protecting your depots is critical. The AI will also keep up a strong offensive front and will stop at nothing to slip an engineer into your base!

This mode is still under development and is prone to change*

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love the flag design. The way you've executed the game mode sounds nice, too.

Quote:
Flags are indestructable and can not be destroyed

I think you're repeating yourself here #Tongue

Now, shouldn't there be an alternate CTF mode where you ahve to capture the enemy "Flag" unit, and transport it home, to win the battle? Also, is CTF strickly for 1vs1 battles?

Orac
President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

transporting it home is impossible with the way in which the gamemode has been set up - all other buildings are insignificant, iirc, so capturing the flag leaves the opponent with no counted buildings and they are eliminated.

There aren't any 3+ player maps for CTF atm, but there are only two CTF maps currently in the map cycle as it stands atm, so larger numbers of players could be catered for. Probably. Unless there's something terribly gameplay ruining about it, and I don't really see that being likely.

The new look for the supply sites looks promising, Morpher. The fences help too.

Last edited by Orac on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great job. Everything looks and sounds promising. Smile

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent concept.
And damn. Those Towers look awesome.

But, where are the Uruk-hai?

Scorched Earth
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That reminds me of Avalon from Ace Combat.

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Ixon LOL Uruk-hai.

3ds Topic
Clicky

iamn00b
Jumpjet Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

awesome.. for everything in this thread, cant say more

hey, am i see a war bus ? :p

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crate units are a lol

iamn00b
Jumpjet Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the crate will just pop-up or there is an animation? imagine something like dropship coming and drop a crate

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ATM I believe they just pop up, but an anim of some form is entirely possible.

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How did you replace the Construction Yard? ctf.ini?
Sorry I'm still quite new to mapping and AI and things of that sort.

This is really amazing and I hope to see more exclusive gametypes.

3ds Topic
Clicky

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
ctf.ini

A what?

Lord Unforgiven
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm impressed. This makes me want to play right away!

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Vef, that's exactly what I'm asking. What file (if it's a file) do you play with to get new gamemodes and such?

(I only have experience with SHPs, Vxls, Rules.ini, and Art.ini)

3ds Topic
Clicky

[TiberianFuture]
Scrin Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I believe the file they mod is a map, so the extension would be .mpr

Ladder wars vs. bikeRushOwnz.

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahh mk thanks TF. I'm assuming it's just basic rules and art overwrites in said .mpr?

EDIT:
@Morpher ...are the fence around the supply drop destroyable?

3ds Topic
Clicky

Last edited by Palkia323 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's a standardised set of edits to the map file.
Because of this, CTF, DM, and IW are being used as map prefixes on the select screen

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not very hard to pull this off, just a bit time consuming to get there. I'll include txt files and a guide in the official download with the code to copy and paste into the .map file to make it a CTF or IW or whatever other gamemodes pop up style map.

Thanks for the possitive feedback!

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon