Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:26 am
All times are UTC + 0
RA2 files folder in FA2
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
banderi
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject:  RA2 files folder in FA2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How can I make FA2 load RA2 files from another directory? I can set it under "settings", but when I reopen FA2 it reloads the original folder.

FinalAlert.INI shows my new (changed) directory, but I can't find anything else that seems to control it.. Embarassed

What I need to do is make FA2 recognizing a mod depending what directory I make it point to, instead of transferring all mod files in the original RA2 folder to make a map under that mod Very Happy

banderi
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm pretty sure there is a method for that... or a workaround. But what?

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it needs the game mix files to open.....maybe if you explain what you are trying to do, give a bit more info you could get some help

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

banderi
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have more RA2 directories that contain more mods. I need to tell FA2 which one should read for units, buildings, etc. Smile

Copying every time mod files into the original RA2 directory is a suicide, and installing more than one FA2 is not the best solution, I would wast precious space.

Last edited by banderi on Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

his explanation is pretty clear to me. He wants his FA2 to open/use the files from his mods directory. Though FA2 is programmed to look for Westwood/RA2/RA2.exe, even changing the settings in the options section dosent change it. I tried like hell to get this to do the same thing way back when, but no success. I always have to rename my mod folder to Westwood before using FA2. It sucks, but it's the only way unless you know how to do an .exe hack to allow it to search for other locations during start up.

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

banderi
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damn it... Neutral

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FA2 normally ignores the manual setting in .ini file in favor of automatically looking up your RA2 install path. You can disable the automatic lookup by opening up the FinalAlert executable in a hex editor of any choice, searching for a string 'InstallPath' and replacing it with zeros or whatever else (obviously make a backup of the original executable just in case before doing this).

After doing that FA2 automatic lookup for installation path registry key will fail and thus it obeys the setting in FinalAlert.ini but chooses to inform you of this every time you open the program by generating a message box.

Last edited by Starkku on Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: ra2 fa2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had a feeling I knew what he wanted but with the way some people word the posts its not as it would seem. I just wanted him to clarify the post. What I do is have my mix file in the main directory, then I that same directory in the launchbase mod files . When I add things to it I always add to the one in the main directory then copy and past it to the mod folder. same with the rules and art files. You just have to remember to copy them for you main folder to your mod folder

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

heh, I'll say it for everyone. Thanks Starkku! worked like a charm.

banderi
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried the HEX editing, it works! Very Happy
I was trying the same thing, but I thought it was, like, coded to binary or something like this xD

@Nikademis Err, I don't exactly get the method.. can you show me step by step?

Thank you all guys! ;D

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Me too! Thanks Starkku! Been wanting to do this for almost a month! Very Happy

banderi
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a "patched" version of the exe (with TX enabeld), and the backup too. If someone doesn't want to hexedit it himself, is already here Wink

FA2YR.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  FA2YR.zip
 Filesize:  1.68 MB
 Downloaded:  276 Time(s)

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you have the Launch base? If not get it here

http://marshall.strategy-x.com/LaunchBase/

Make a mix file for yuri Place all your shps/vxl/hva in here and place that in the main RA2 folder: expandmd??
Have all your rules and art ini in the main ra2 folder so FA2 reads it.

When ever you edit the mix file, rules. art ini edit them from the main ra2 folder this way FA2 reads them.

Then open Launchbase and got to your video file in your mod folder and place anything you created ini, mix, csf files...

When you create a map always save in your mod folder. If you have one in your RA2 folder and one in your mod folder there is a pop up when loading LB there is something that says there is 2 copies and will move the one from RA2.

Every time you edit the art/rules ini or the mix folder in RA2 dierectory you need to copy and paste them to your mod folder.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thats just to much hassle if you ask me. Starkkus way of editing the exe solves everything in one place. Very Happy

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with Cranium. Wink

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: ra2 fa2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

its moving 3 files at most. its not that big of a deal.

banderi
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's still a good workaround Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon