Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Extracting Audio from Emperor: Battle For Dune
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject:  Extracting Audio from Emperor: Battle For Dune
Subject description: How to?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've done a little searching on the internet, yet I still can't seem to get this to work. I do have the game but trying to extract unit audio has proven difficult.

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Steam

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah I gave it a go with some of the tools but I didn't extract anything useful. It was just static.

Ju-Jin
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the BagTool (iirc) worked great for me some years ago.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From what I know you can't. If you use XCC Mixer -> Audio Extractor, you need to find a file that is hidden/protected. I don't know anything about BagTool, might give that a try. If that fails, do what I did: record it ingame (which gives bad results, I know).
EDIT: tried the BagTool: it gives me a lot of noise with some speak embedded in it. Am I doing something wrong Ju-Jin?
EDIT2: nevermind, seems the noise was part of the sounds. If you want the Emperor sounds, use the .bag file from YourEmperorDirectory/DATA/SFX. For some reason the effects do play properly here, but the voices aren't played by either WMP or VLC. Looks they are in a slightly different format or something Confused

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried to extract stuff using the BagTool from the bag under the Dialog folder but it results in static. I am mainly looking for additional unit voices. I'll give it another shot in a second.

EDIT: XCC Sound Editor doesn't seem to work because the bags lack an IDX file.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dialog looks a lot like static indeed, and I assume they are used for ingame commentary. As said, you need to look under SFX. The .txt files say which voices are which. I've been unsuccessful so far to extract any voice, as they seem to be in some kind of WAV format that no program can read. Weapon FX's do work fine.

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did anyone find anything out on this? I remember a TS mod that was released recently (I think?) that had Emperor dialog.

EDIT: Yeah I finally realized that it was just the ingame commentary stuff. There are some that aren't static on the CD if IIRC. I'll see more about the stuff on CD itself, but I don't think it'll help.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Been fiddling with stuff, and here is what I found:
-if you import the voice file into Audacity or any other sound editor, you get a static sound.
-if you use a Hex editor and compare it with a working sound, you'll see that the header is off. It also looks like none of the data bytes makes sense when compared to the normal file. When I tried to make the header files the same, and then play the sound, WMP crashed #Tongue
-for some reason I tried to dump the file in a .mix file, and see what kind of info it gave there. A normal sound file gave "format: 0001". The voice file gave "format: FFFF".

I guess that the voice files are either compressed in some other way, or there's some kind of trick we seem to have missed.

EDIT: using the properties window in BagTool, I noticed more:
-correct wave files have "Type: 6" and "Starting value: 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0"
-voice files have "Type: 28" and "Starting value: 0x0 0x0 0x2 0x0"
I dunno what the differences are, but that is the main difference between working and non-working files.

EDIT2: taking a look at some other files, I also found files with "Type: 12", and "Starting value: 0x0 0x0 0x2 0x0". These sound effects have a lot of static, but still retain some of their original sound. All those files from the Dialog .bag file have these, and some effects from SFX .bag file.

The-Light
Grenadier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't have Battle for dune, but a quick google brings me to "Dragon UnPacker", previous experience of me are good, though haven't used it in a while.

Dragon UnPacker works fairly easy, i was able to do most finalbig function with it by just trying, download page is here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dragonunpacker/files/Dragon%20UnPACKer/Stable%20releases/5.6.2%20Exedra-Chac/dup562exedrachac-setup.exe/download oh yeah, norton doesn't tell anything suspicious about it.

Still i hope it does extract your required sound correctly, sorry don't have E:bfd so can't try it myself..

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting tool. I immediately notice that all voices are in .CMP format instead of .W (which I assume is for wave). Might give it a try.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum