Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:48 am
All times are UTC + 0
Generals Zero Hour Questions.
Moderators: Generals Moderators, Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Frontlines
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject:  Generals Zero Hour Questions. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1. Are the Unit ranks hard-coded?
Normal, Veteran, Heroic, and whatever the last one is.
Can you add more Unit ranks?
Can you change the names? [probaby stupid question, should just delve in the .str file. -herpderp-

What are the max limits in Generals zero hour as far as..

Polies [Forgot about this one, couldn't find it. -_-;;; Someone should make a general "Information" Topic about common information, common limits, etc.]

Upgrades.

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Generals and ZH use a really low poly count, but I'm not entirely sure if there's an actual limit. I do know that higher poly counts can cause severe usability problems for players. Mostly in the form of being ungodly slow.

Steam

Frontlines
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I remembering seeing something like.. 1500 for buildings, 600-800 or soething for units.
Idunno.. The numbers escape me. -_-;

Thanks for replying though ^

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you can get away with higher than that. I'm fairly certain that RotR uses higher counts than that.

Steam

Ju-Jin
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Poly count is only limited by your PC, these were just recommendations from 2003.

The-Light
Grenadier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The rank you missed was Elite, they're valued in Generals(ZH) by form of needed xp per level and xp value per level, so like:
ExperienceValue = 50 100 100 150 ; Experience point value at each level
ExperienceRequired = 0 200 300 600 ; Experience points needed to gain each level
IsTrainable = Yes ; Can gain experience

I never tried adding more values, nor do i know where the rest of the code for it is.

Unit names can be changed: in each unit's code there's a line with a variable name, this variable name points at a unit name in the str or csf file.
In unit code:
DisplayName = OBJECT:ColonelBurton

In str file:
OBJECT:ColonelBurton
"Burton"
End

In csf file(Generals(ZH) native string file) it's not readable, one needs a special editor for that.

Poly limits, always fun to discuss...
Polys per model is wrong, i'd suggest measuring polys per size on the screen, that way you're immediately keeping an eye out for numbers on screen.
There is a sortof really high object poly limit of 10000+ or so, but i'm not sure about that.
Generals on my laptop (2.1 Ghz cpu 256mb video card?!) could haldle an army of over 80 800 polied battlemaster sized tanks simultaniously moving on screen with barely(if any) lag, so i think a vehicle limit of 1000-2000 polys is defenately doable, considering my laptop probably being worse than most pc's these days.

Upgrades
dunno if there's a max number of upgrades, could defenately exist, but not sure how many. I know i couldn't add more than one upgrade in the ZH "new tech mod", but i could have just failed somehow.
Upgrades on units are less limited, at least when every upgrade does something different, one could for instance add ten more drones for the usa vehicles without problem. Making more than 2 unit weapon upgrades gets more difficult however.

Ju-Jin
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The max amount of upgrades is 128.

More important then the mere poly count is how many single meshes you have (subobjects like turret and props) If you keep that to 1-2 you can very well create MBTs with 3000 polygons.

Frontlines
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Guys. This'll be very useful.

Any other limits/Max numbers?

After modding SoaSE which has a few limits like..
Max amount of total meshes. Max amount of total weapon banks, Max amount of sounds and so forth, just want to make sure I don't hit any limits. 128 sounds like a small number for max upgrades though... I may be over-thinking that... but to me it seems small.

Ju-Jin
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If i remember correctly ZH increased it to 256 or sth. But could be wrong, but anyway I would recommend to mod newer sage games as there aren't all these limitations.

Frontlines
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The same could be said for all those who mod RA1, RA2, and so on.
I find it fun to work with limitations.. forces you to think of ways around the problems.

Plus... I cba to mod any other game at the moment..

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The_Hunter's poly advice I always try to follow:
infantry 100/400
vehicles 500/900
base defence 600/1500
structures 1000/2000
superweapons 1500/3000

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon