Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:33 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Baby Steps?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Durandal
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject:  Baby Steps? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pretty much the exact same thing I posted at Revora. The reason I posted it here is because I've yet to hear a reply.

Although some could consider this impatience, a fast approaching Spring Break means that time is not on my side. I'd prefer to have an answer to this question so that I'm not twiddling my thumbs over the break. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
[...]

Being 'fresh meat' to the modding community, I'm not aware of the pros and cons of modding certain games. That's where, hopefully, anyone still alive here can help me.

The options I am willing to consider are Red Alert 2 and/or Tiberian Sun, Command and Conquer 3, and Red Alert 3. I refuse to mod for Generals, so I apologize but it's out of the question. The catch is, Command and Conquer 3 seems my most reliable choice. Although Red Alert 2 and Tiberian Sun are very respectable games, they are fairly outdated, with Red Alert 2 being released just about 11 years ago. Not to mention I trust my copy of The First Decade about as far as I can throw it. Red Alert 3, although the most up to date, I have lost the key for. Moving has never been a welcome experience for me, and that's one of the reasons why. I could buy another copy, but spending 10-20 more dollars on a game I already technically have is no doubt frustrating, as some of you can understand.

But what do you all think? Point me in the right direction, if you may.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't speak for RA3, and this isn't really the full list of pros and cons for the other three, but they're a start. The bottom line is that you'll need to at least have a try with them to see which one you enjoy modding most.

TS:
Pros:
-Many available tools
-Substantial numbers of tutorials
-Reasonable volume of public assets
-Simple rules format

Cons:
-Somewhat limited in terms of number of logics
-Can be somewhat unstable if not handled carefully, and gives very little indication of what the cause of a given error was
-Getting old

RA2:
Pros:
-Many available tools
-Substantial numbers of tutorials
-Substantial volume of public assets
-Simple rules format
-Rockpatch and Ares add numerous new logics

Cons:
-Can be somewhat unstable if not handled carefully, and gives very little indication of what the cause of a given error was (Fixed with Ares)
-Getting old

C&C3:
Pros:
-Fairly easily understood rules format
-SDK gives all the required pointers of compiling a mod
-Plugin for 3Ds Max allows models to be quickly converted for use in C&C3
-Fairly up-to-date aesthetically

Cons:
-Art assets take a fairly long time to produce
-Community is very small here at PPM
-Compile time can be a significant break in the process (takes much longer to get assets and code ingame)

Last edited by Orac on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Durandal
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you, Orac. I'll need a wider range of opinions to decide, but the input is appreciated.

As far as trying them all is concerned, I hope to attempt all four sometime in the future. The thing is, I have to start somewhere. Knowing a little bit before hand will help me when choosing, and will help focus my efforts.

Frontlines
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Durandal wrote:
Thank you, Orac. I'll need a wider range of opinions to decide, but the input is appreciated.

As far as trying them all is concerned, I hope to attempt all four sometime in the future. The thing is, I have to start somewhere. Knowing a little bit before hand will help me when choosing, and will help focus my efforts.

If you don't mind me asking, why don't won't you consider modding Generals?

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of the 3D C&C games, I'd say generals is the friendliest one to mod (unlike self harm of Red Alert 3 and equally difficult yet much more potent C&C).

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mod the game which you like best, with the intention to make it even better or create something new out of it. Nothing else matters imo.

If you only mod for the sake of modding, i fear you will soon lose interest in modding as it will sooner or later change into work and not a hobby which should make fun.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Durandal
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Frontlines wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, why don't won't you consider modding Generals?

I dislike Generals as a whole. The conflict is dull and the graphics look choppy. It feels rushed to me, with little thought going into the game, compared to Red Alert 2 or Tiberian Sun. I'd go into details, but it would take too long to explain.

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
Mod the game which you like best, with the intention to make it even better or create something new out of it. Nothing else matters imo.

If you only mod for the sake of modding, i fear you will soon lose interest in modding as it will sooner or later change into work and not a hobby which should make fun.

I shall, do not worry. All I need at the moment is a place to gain a foothold. The reason why I'm asking is because I can't really choose myself. All of the games either I enjoy or have certain game aspects that I could utilize.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Durandal wrote:

I dislike Generals as a whole. The conflict is dull and the graphics look choppy. It feels rushed to me, with little thought going into the game, compared to Red Alert 2 or Tiberian Sun. I'd go into details, but it would take too long to explain.

Except that any mod can easily change the conflict and graphics. Screwing with some settings can also produce original atmosphere as well. One of the few main problems though, is the terrible pathfinding, which can cause massive lag for large groups of ground-based units.

Though, I would find it extremely interesting if you could actually go into details.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The AI Players in Generals are less thoughtful than that of TW, in my (limited) experience. The Generals AI was unwilling to use some of the more complex abilities (Switching from port to starboard guns dependant on which side of the ship a unit is on was a bitch in Generals, but functions just fine for the AI in TW)

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hrmf, ah well, you won't find that much support for Generals here anyway. This does mean you won't get much support from me either, as I'm mostly a Generals ZH modder these days.

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Note: To mod CNC3 you'll have to eternally compile your mod. Again and again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum