Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:47 am
All times are UTC + 0
[User Info] Making cameos from TS units with SHP Builder!
Moderators: stucuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject:  [User Info] Making cameos from TS units with SHP Builder! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Making Cameos from TS units with OS SHP Builder

1. Introduction:

Hello. This tutorial will show you a nice and easy way to make cameos with the OS SHP Builder for your TS voxels featuring graphics of every step. You can use similar ways for RA2, by adapting some of the steps, specially on the cameo generator part.

2. Requirements:

- A voxel (duh). DOWNLOAD HERE or retrieve the sample voxel with XCC Mixer, by going to tibsun.mix -> local.mix and getting arty.vxl, artybarl.vxl and their hva files.

- Open Source Voxel Viewer 1.3 or better.

- Open Source SHP Builder 3.0 or better

3. Step By Step:

1. Open your OS Voxel Viewer.

2. Load the arty.vxl as you see in the picture above.

3. With the voxel opened, set the Ground options to not draw the ground (as you see above).

4. Click in the sky option and make it not draw the sky either.

5. Set the view to Cameo 1.

6. Change the background colour. To do this, go to Tools -> Background.

7. Set it to black.

8. Now, hold the right button of the mouse and approach the camera.

9. Now create the screenshot by heading to the Tools -> Screenshot.

10. Set it to jpg and press ok. You can even set compression to 100 if you want, but if you wanna keep the quality, keep it in 1.

11. Your task with the OS Voxel Viewer is over. Close it. Open the SHP Builder now and go straight to Import -> Image->SHP.

12. The import menu has many options. First of all, uncheck the View First File Of The Package. Then, hit Browse. Head to the directory of your OS Voxel Viewer and go to Screenshots directory. There you will find your arty 000.jpg. Open it. Now, select the TS option at Optimize Conversion and set it to Infantry, Temperate. This is done because infantry and vehicles uses the same palette.

13. Now, go to the Colours option and select 3D RGB Fulll Difference and Auto Select.

14. At Extra settings, check all of them, so Red will only be remapable colours. (Although optimize shadows makes no difference at all).

15. Now use the selection tool and select an area that covers the whole vehicle. The closer to a square the selection is, the better the result, but make sure that you get the smaller square possible, otherwise it will look too small at the cameo. In this example I wasn't very happy with the result. The last graphic you may notice that I changed my selection area Wink.

16. After selecting an area, head to Tools -> Misc -> Cameo Generator.

17. Select TS cameo. Then, you select the side colour. Use Gold if you want this to be a GDI colour, red for Nod and other colours for new sides. The other values are ignorable.

18. Make sure that only Use Selected Area Only is checked. Then, select User Custom Bitmap and hit the browse button. Find an appropriate background for your cameo. I'm using smiffgig8.bmp. Use the one it fits better for your case. After selecting the background, hit ok.

19. And this is the end of the our tutorial. Nice cameo, huh? Wink. Now, save it and have fun. Here's the final result:

4. Final Words:

You can download the final result of this tutorial HERE. Have fun!

Key Words: #Tutorials #SHPs #Media #Graphics #Voxels #Cameos #OSVoxelViewer #OSSHPBuilder #TiberianSun #Firestorm 

Last edited by Banshee on Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:29 am; edited 2 times in total

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thats pretty cool! keep up the good work.

XxpeddyxX
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ayylmao on Discord

Last edited by XxpeddyxX on Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Cygnus X-1 (@CNCNZ.com)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Where do you save it too to use it?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

save it anywhere. Then use XCC Mix Editor to put it in a ecacheXX.mix

Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Sorrow
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm...
I have a problem.
When I select the background for cameo and click "ok" it displays "invalid floating point" error or creates a cameo without background Neutral .

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Weird... Maybe the background picture you are using might not be compatible with OS SHP Builder. The program isn't very reliable with .pcx files. Try using jpg or bitmap.

Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your not on cameo.pal most likely

Sorrow
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm...
Switching to cameo.pal doesn't help.
I'm using background pictures from SHP Builder.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damn... I need to reproduce the problem here. Can you provide the original picture and the way you tried to make the cameo, so I can figure out what's wrong with it?

(Actually, try going to Options -> Preferences -> Misc -> and make sure 3D RGB Full Difference is checked)

Sorrow
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do everytthing as it is described in tutorial.

FHRV2_002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.78 KB
 Viewed:  36603 Time(s)

FHRV2_002.jpg

FHRV2_003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.56 KB
 Viewed:  36603 Time(s)

FHRV2_003.jpg

Phatdaddymac99
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have same problem as sorrow where cameo comes out without background even thou i used same background as banshee did.

Pic and sig made by LazerAce7

Sorrow
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's nice that one month has passed and noone bothered to reply to my post Neutral .

Havoc
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee said that he is working a new SHP Builder. Be patient, he has his own life you know.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, I'll have a look at what could cause it...

friday-13th
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

do hurry

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry, but I have more things to do than this... I'll certainly look at it, but not focus only on it.

SniperGrunt
Grenadier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like teh tank though. it looks like a tank that would fly back about 5 feet when it shot. Laughing

"The high and lofty, they see me as weak, cause I won't live and die for the power they seek"

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Sorrow: I'm still unable to reproduce your problem here. I don't get any invalid floating point.

@Phatdaddymac99: When you import, make sure the Auto Select option is set in the Background Colour. If you imported without that option, there is a possibility that the whole background is filled with the colour #63, which is not considered transparent by the program. In this case, fill the #63 with #0 and the background will appear.

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I only get invalid floating point when my pallete is not set to cameo.pal

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tested with the palette set to unittem.pal and isotem.pal. I had no problems with it.

tobiasboon46
Shrapnel Sniper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what is the size of a RA2 cameo or TS cameo?

Err...the image above means no offence to the american people...It's a bit of what I feel about it's gov't >_>

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

both are 64 x 48 i think

Rattuskid
Sergeant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TShyper wrote:
both are 64 x 48 i think

TS is, but Ra2 is 60x48.

xeniter
Civilian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks that will help me a lot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quick noob question. How did you zoom in and zoom out? or it happens just by following the instructions? in the first few steps of opening it and changing background

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To zoom in and out with OS: Voxel Viewer, right click the panel where the unit is being previewed and hold it. Then, move your up and down. Drop the right button once you are satisfied Wink.

Insomniac
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I actually had some problems with the background not being transparent, despite following the tutorial exactly. I'm using SHP Builder 3.36, and I noticed that if I have "Optimize Shadows" on, the background would not be transparent.
That might help out some people that are having problems.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!