Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:31 am
All times are UTC + 0
Zero hour to generals?
Moderators: Generals Moderators, Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Mav.EricK
a.k.a SuperMario649

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject:  Zero hour to generals?
Subject description: possible?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all, most of you already know that C&C: Generals ZH is so lag full that it becomes unplayable, whereas C&C: Generals doesn't lag no matter how many units you or the AI build, so I was wondering..

Which features of ZH can be implemented in Generals and which cannot be implemented?.

Am trying to mod the original game to include most of ZH's generals and units, that's all.

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=458275#458275
=======================
Donut Arnold's great templates for TS and Ra2
http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/download.php?id=43817

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Zero hour to generals? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mav.EricK wrote:
Hi all,

Hello.
Mav.EricK wrote:
most of you already know that C&C: Generals ZH is so lag full that it becomes unplayable,

Works fine for me. I've never heard this complaint from anyone. I'm not very active in the Gens community, but still. Anyone else able to vouch for this issue?
Mav.EricK wrote:
whereas C&C: Generals doesn't lag no matter how many units you or the AI build

I have never noticed any difference between Gens and ZH. Perhaps this is an issue with system specs rather than the game? Something added in ZH causing a clash of some kind?
Mav.EricK wrote:
Which features of ZH can be implemented in Generals and which cannot be implemented?.

I'm guessing the Generals Challenge is out for a start.
Mav.EricK wrote:
Am trying to mod the original game to include most of ZH's generals and units, that's all.

I'd go ahead and start, then. Easiest way to find out what's possible.

Death Cultist
Scorpion Sniper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That lag issues are notorious unless you are running on a really high end machine, I'll vouch for that. The Sage engine is sort of iffy when it came to massed units.

Ju-Jin
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes but most of these lag issues in ZH are because of passable/impassable areas. Edit the maps to make them "clean" and the performance will be the same as in Generals.

The-Light
Grenadier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To answer the main question "what features of ZH can be implementen in Generals"

China:
ECM tank: Definately not possible, unless it would be a point defence laser unit.

Listening post: the weapon might be a problem, never delved into it to be capable of giving a good answer.

Nuke Cannon Neutron Shells: I'd sugest trying a combo of two weapons, one with KILL_PILOT damage, the other with MELEE damage.

Helix: ZH has a special OverlordContain module(HelixContain) for it, don't know it it would really be needed.

Internet Center: not a clue if there's code for it in vanilla Generals.

Assault Troop Crawler: don't see a problem here.

Emperor Overlord Tank: don't see a problem here.

EMP mines: probably doable.

USA:
Firebase: maybe, the Hivestructurebody is there, but dunno if the infantry slot positions are doable.

Microwave Tank: not as copy paste, maybe sort off with some EMP tricks etc.

Avenger: mostly yes, no when looking at the rate of fire bonus.

Sentry Drone: don't see much problems here.

Laser Crusader: dunno if the disable in low power code works on units.

Aurora Alpha: should probably be doable.

King Raptor: no problem.

Stealth Commanche: no problem.

Stealthfigter Bunker Buster: dunno how one would achieve that in Generals.

GLA:
Battlebus Secondlife: not while infantry is still inside.

Combat Cycle: How about no...

GPS Scrambler: not a clue how it could be done in Generals.

Saboteur: no idea how, probably depends on ZH code.

Fake Structures: might be sorta possible with some faking.

Camo Netting Upgrade: see Camouflage Upgrade for rebels.

For as far as i can remember was this pretty much all units/structures/upgrades. As you can see it 'll be difficult, if not impossible to make a ZH out of Generals.

If i could give a good advice, buy a better PC. I have a laptop(4 yo) and a Desktop(7 yo) which have that same problem, and they're just seriously in need of replacement.

P.S. if anywone wonders my knowledge about this, i have been thinking about making such a mod. But in lack of time, and other occupations I decided not to start with it.

Mav.EricK
a.k.a SuperMario649

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Zero hour to generals? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Orac: WHAT!
You don't know it do you?, play vs the computer in almost any map and the game lags like hell, am on dual core (2.3 Ghz each) and have 2Gb ram, GFX card has 2Gb memory, my PC dates back to 2009, which is like 5 years ahead of C&C:Gen/Zh.

my game is not modded at all.

If you don't believe me, search the net, their is something called Zero Lag for zero hours, it's a mod that has so far allowed me to play vs 3 AI players on any map save twilight flame, which is truly bugged.

-About the maps and making them all flat, that is surely not a good Idea, terrain is supposed to be a factor in victory, you only have about 4 or 3 flanks in each map, save some maps of course.

What are the specs of your pc anyways?, can you play vs 7 AI players on whiteout map?.

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=458275#458275
=======================
Donut Arnold's great templates for TS and Ra2
http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/download.php?id=43817

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have Core i5 quad with tons of RAM and ZH still lags to hell and back. However, it's usually on fan maps with more than 4 players present. The more AIs you throw at the game, the more it has to to pathfind. Pathfinding in ZH is a bitch.

At least on most EA made maps, I can throw every AI at the game and it runs fine. Seems like most fan maps have some sort of pathing issue.

Steam

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Furry sums it up pretty correct. Lag is caused by the horrible pathfinding system that is used in Generals. As Furry mentioned: most standard Generals maps are fine (some exclusions though), and with custom maps it's either that the waypoints the AI uses are not optimal, or the terrain is too difficult for the AI to handle. Especially rivers/cliffs with only bridges are notorious lag-causers.

As for your original question: downgrading ZH to Generals is never advisable, as you will miss so many logics introduced in ZH Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon