Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Why hasn't anyone done this?
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [29 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Aydra
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject:  Why hasn't anyone done this?
Subject description: The mod that could change the galaxy
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ive been working diligently on TS3 and during the way ive been brainstorming games and ideas to try and make an awesome mod. TS3 is mainly a gameplay modification for Tiberian Sun and it's my first big project ive tackled, so it's mainly a learning experience for me. My goal was to make such an awesome mod that i'd put game companies to shame by saying "look what ive done and you can't do the same with millions of dollars and groups of top quality game designers." Yes TS3 wont do that (not by a long shot) but I beleive I know where we could.

There were awesome mods such as:
-Desert combat for Battlefield which lead the mod makers to create battlefield 2
-Dota which verywell could have started a tidal wave of games such as Dota 2, league of legends, heroes of newerth, smite, and so forth
-and lets not forget counterstrike which blew open the doors to FPS games

But a long time ago a game was created, and that game started a whole genre of games to this day called "Real Time Strategy." Yes, im talking about Dune.

Since EA took over westwood and totaly ruined the C&C name (ill wait on generals 2...) they left out Dune and it was buried in the sands of time. Why havent we seen another dune game? It was the predecessor of command and conquer and its been over ten years since the last one.
The forum members of PPM should come together and make Dune 5, the last in the series. Hopefully we could prevent EA from touching Dune by ending it ourselves. The primary reason most game companies make bad games is for the sake of money. Lets just funnel a ton of games with a certain title and rank in the profits. Mod teams make no money, we just have the passion to make good games, something their management lacks. There is alot of talent here on the forums and I believe we could make the next groundbreaking title. This would be a future project, and not immediedietly since alot of us got other mods to work on. I just wanted to throw the idea out in the open.

It would be Dune five, the final chanpter which will lead to the end of Arrakis. The three factions have advanced in technology and the the weapons of mass destruction have torn and ript the land leaving it rend and scarred.

The Atreidies have spent considerable time attempting to replenish Arrakis to a thriving organic atmosphere.

Ordos advanced their technology to create greater abominations in which to leave the land tainted, to win the battle with biological weapons.

The Harkonnen have only build their armies into large unstoppable forces, plundering weapons and arms from their victims.

(I removed the preview image because I'm adding it to my portfolio)

Just give me your opinion even if you think im on drugs.

Last edited by Aydra on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:32 am; edited 2 times in total

TiberFCSL
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You know? Dune 2000 in particular has inspired me to implement game mechanics into my mod and to extract music and the mouse cursors... so these games are very inspiring for me, and also for Westwood, in fact the first implementation of the SAGE engine into an RTS game is Emperor: Battle for Dune, if I'm not mistaken, so a tribute to these great games could be this sequel. I'd be proud to work on it.

freedom fighter
General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I didn't pay attention to half of your post which was mild EA bitching. But that's a topic which has been talked, trolled and trashed one too many times so I won't expand on that.

Ontopic: I was also wondering about making a Dune mod initially myself since I don't see much Dune-themed mods. IIRC there's one for Renegade and two for CnC3 but I haven't heard much from either. I think there's something to do with copyright stuff that's preventing EA from making a new Dune game (keep in mind that WW was not the first and only company to make a Dune game). With a new Dune movie supposely coming up for better or worse, EA might make a licensed game just like Lord of the Rings.

This seems to be a big project since you're gonna need quite a lot of help which I'm sure you're aware of. But if you think you've got what it takes to make a Dune mod, by all means go ahead. May I ask what game this mod is for (if you are gonna make it)?

I got NINJA'd D:

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So you want to make something new and grounbreaking by making a sequel?

Beside, by story, Dune games take time long before the events of books, as the protective shields have not been perfected.

Aydra
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry, it was not my intention to create a bash thread, so ill steer it away from that.

The Dune Genre in general had awesome games with a few clunky features but now the years have gone by we can see how gaming in a whole has changed and take those changes and implement them with Dune. I also found the games in some ways to be a little, I dont know what to call it, nerdy/korny/tacky if you know what I mean. The whole dune planet genre was hyjacked by stargate when it first came out, around the same time the Dune hype fell off. Stargate is awesome dont get me wrong, but dune could use a comeback since the stargate mmo was cancelled.

I'm a retro gamer, I believe gameplay is far superior to graphics. I'd toss my Crysis out the window and play some Metroid / Actraiser anyday. The mod wouldn't be about visual perfection, but atmosphere with audio and smooth gameplay would be priority, with that in mind I would choose RA2 or TS. Ra2 is newer and more improved but Having the game Standalone to me would be a great advantage. I'd have to weigh the plus and minus's of each but atm thats what I'd choose. Also having the game run on 1024x768 Resolution as a minumum I'd also look into. Where there is a will there is a way?

I'm just saying I think its time for a Dune Game, it's been ahwhile and I just wanted to see if anyone else agrees.

Quote:
Beside, by story, Dune games take time long before the events of books, as the protective shields have not been perfected.

Well it could be a split timeline, it works for Zelda games #Tongue

TiberFCSL
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to see the giant worms on TS/RA2 engine! They could be made perhaps with a similar logic to "the thing" from TI Smile
Light/heavy/advanced factories are very easy to make Smile

Insomniac
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would love to help with something like that, since I've liked the Dune games I played (2000 and Emperor). That being said, an RTS with a 3D engine would be best to base the game on, since the last title was a 3D game, and it would mean using a superior engine to TS/RA2.

That being said, does anyone know of someone making a mod for Emperor that was like the expansion pack Westwood wanted to do? I.E. something like this.

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy_Master wrote:
all you need to do just go here

http://www.moddb.com/mods/dune-evolution

Last update: Nov 29th, 2010. I doubt this one is still alive.

As for a new Dune RTS: I always enjoyed E:BfD, although it did had craptastic AI, some bugs, and lack of modability. I have to admit that the best from that game was the soundtrack; the Harkonnen music is still one of my favourites #Tongue
Recreating Dune in TS/RA2 is something some people have already tried, but each time failed to replicate (imho) critical Dune logics: Worms, Spice, and the Carryall system (one that automatically works).

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TiberFCSL wrote:
I'd like to see the giant worms on TS/RA2 engine! They could be made perhaps with a similar logic to "the thing" from TI Smile
Light/heavy/advanced factories are very easy to make Smile

Im really brainstorming a way this can be done...

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Emperor: Battle for Dune was awesome IMO, and while I like the idea of another dune RTS, I'm not sure if many here want to get another project eating their free time for the next few years (if not for the next decade).

And for it to be something succesful, we'd have to use a 3d engine IMO. The classic C&C community doesn't have enough players so that investing a lot of time to a completely new game would be worth it. Probably one of the free 3d game engines would do, although that'd also mean that actual programmers are required.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bit OT, but to the original post: It isn't Counter-Strike, which opened the door to FPS. Doom and Quake, thy names shall be. CS had good graphics with an affordable system requirements back at that time.

BTT: While I do like Dune 2000 and would seen many of the Dune-only logics (Spaceport, for example) in C&C, I also think it's better to leave the series in the dust. You can't write a game to that due to licensing fees and if indeed EA has the right with the WW absorption than thank God they think this same.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Aydra
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well glad some are interested, atleast if in the future one were begin such a project we would have the support.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah well at least games companies have money with which to develop their games, even if it sometimes leads to rushed or half arsed releases. As much as I'd absolutely love another Dune game it'd take some serious man power to pull it off, the likes of which I doubt exists within this forum.

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The license which Westwood Studios had back in the day to make Dune games has long since expired and EA does not have license to make Dune games presently unless reacquires it from rights holders again and to date, EA has zero interest or any other developer curiously to make Dune games and only Dune games stuff presently active is merely fan mod projects what I've seen.

Sorry to say but this community lacks the man power and skill for anything as ambitious project and in TS/RA2 engine key things of Dune are not conceivable to achieve currently, most notably the carryall automation to move harvesters around and 3D engine work amounts are even more considerable and skill taking if could have most things work in code.

Unless one is willing to accept some compromises of non-working features in 2D engine but that surely loses the dune feel quite a bit.

TiberFCSL
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW, the carryall carrying the harvester although it's cool, it's not that important feature at all #Tongue.
But we are creative, we can come up with something new.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Making a Dune mod for YR is on my todo list...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Insomniac
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What about the game engine free RA was built off of?...

Ju-Jin
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
Bit OT, but to the original post: It isn't Counter-Strike, which opened the door to FPS. Doom and Quake, thy names shall be. CS had good graphics with an affordable system requirements back at that time.

BTT: While I do like Dune 2000 and would seen many of the Dune-only logics (Spaceport, for example) in C&C, I also think it's better to leave the series in the dust. You can't write a game to that due to licensing fees and if indeed EA has the right with the WW absorption than thank God they think this same.

Spaceport is absolutely possible in TW.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Removed due-to unintentional derailment...

Apologies! Smile

Last edited by Aro on Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aro, are you drunk again? #Tongue

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Possibly.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's not cool, use the TI section for promoting TI. Even if you'd want to use that picture. This thread actually had a nice discussion going on.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh lighten up, it was only a joke. #Tongue
My apologies if my post was taken the wrong way, shameless promoting and thread derailment was never my intention, I guess I'm not as hilarious as I thought I was whilst posting that. Any moderators within this section feel free to delete/split my posts.

Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Honestly I would love to make a Dune mod, sadly I don’t even have enough time to do my own mod, which is out there gathering dust Laughing.
I think the best way to do so would be to use Starcraft II's engine, after all you would want to get more attention if you want to do something big with it.

Red Alert Origins
A SC2 mod that brings RA to starcraft with a working sidebar.

On the other side, at least in TS (actually DTA; haven't tested this anywhere else), harvesters picked up by a carryall automatically go to mine or unload when they're dropped, depending if they're dropped near a refinery or a tiberium patch and if they are or not full. To me it seems the only thing missing is the carryall automation.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ju-Jin wrote:

Sorry, but everything released after Renegade does not worthy of being called as Command and Conquer to me. Generals had no C&C gameplay and the ones after were too ruined in my eyes.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well the fact is they are C&C games and if I wanted to see a Dune mod on any platform it would probably be either TW or RA3.

And surely Carryalls are very important to Dune, considering without them the Harvesters would get eaten every time. Harvesting spice should really be an interesting portion of any Dune game.

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What about a flying slave miner for a workaround carryall+harv? Not that I had any clue about RA2...

Ju-Jin
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
Ju-Jin wrote:

Sorry, but everything released after Renegade does not worthy of being called as Command and Conquer to me. Generals had no C&C gameplay and the ones after were too ruined in my eyes.
That's your opinion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [29 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum