Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:13 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Adding new units to maps using Final Alert 2
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
cracker
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject:  Adding new units to maps using Final Alert 2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Before I get started, I need to state that you CANNOT use images, unit names, or cameos that are not in RA2 (or the currently installed mod, if applicable).

Now that thats over, lets add an infantry unit. I will add a modified GI to the map. First, you need the code for your new unit. Here is mine:

Code:

; New GI
[NEWE1]
UIName=Name:E1      ;you MUST use a value that is for an existing unit
Name=GI      ;you MUST use a value that is for an existing unit
Image=GI      ;you MUST use a value that is for an existing image
Category=Soldier
Primary=NewGIWep      ;you can use any weapon in the game, or make a new one
Secondary=none      ;you can use any weapon in the game, or make a new one
Occupier=yes ; I can Occupy UC buildings
Prerequisite=GAPILE      ;building needed to train this unit
CrushSound=InfantrySquish
Strength=125
Pip=white
Armor=none
TechLevel=1
Sight=5
Speed=4
Owner=British,French,Germans,Americans,Alliance
Cost=200
Soylent=150
Points=10
IsSelectableCombatant=yes
VoiceSelect=GISelect
VoiceMove=GIMove
VoiceAttack=GIAttackCommand
VoiceFeedback=GIFear
VoiceSpecialAttack=GIMove
DieSound=GIDie
Locomotor={4A582744-9839-11d1-B709-00A024DDAFD1}      ;DO NOT CHANGE THIS!
PhysicalSize=1
MovementZone=Infantry
ThreatPosed=10   ; This value MUST be 0 for all building addons
ImmuneToVeins=yes
ImmuneToPsionics=no
Bombable=yes
VeteranAbilities=STRONGER,FIREPOWER,ROF,SIGHT,FASTER
EliteAbilities=SELF_HEAL,STRONGER,FIREPOWER,ROF
Size=1
Crushable=yes
DeploySound=GIDeploy
UndeploySound=GIUndeploy
ElitePrimary=NewGIWepE
EliteSecondary=none
IFVMode=2

;my new weapon
[NewGIWep]
Damage=20
ROF=15
Range=5
Projectile=InvisibleLow
Speed=100
Warhead=SA
Report=GIAttack
Anim=MGUN-N,MGUN-NE,MGUN-E,MGUN-SE,MGUN-S,MGUN-SW,MGUN-W,MGUN-NW

;my new weapon (elite version)
[NewGIWepE]
Damage=25
ROF=15
Range=5.5
Projectile=InvisibleLow
Speed=100
Warhead=SA
Report=GIAttack
Anim=MGUN-N,MGUN-NE,MGUN-E,MGUN-SE,MGUN-S,MGUN-SW,MGUN-W,MGUN-NW

My new unit has a new weapon, so the last two are the weapon additions.

Now...there are two ways of adding your new unit to the map. The first, and easiest (in most cases), is to save your new unit into its own ini file, such as newunit.ini. To do this, open notepad, put your new unit's code into it, and click save as. click the combo box and choose "All Files *.*" and type the name to be newunit.ini. Then, in FA2, with your map open, click Edit>INI Editing. Click insert another INI file content, navigate to newunit.ini, click ok, then choose all the entrys to be added.

The second way is to manually add your unit line by line in the INI Editor. I wont go into detail, as this is slow and tedious, and is better used for modifying a line or two of existing units, and adding new units to the lists. I will demonstrate by adding our unit to the [InfantryTypes] list, a required step for our new unit to work.

To create a new entry, click the top add button. Type the internal name for the entry (InfantryTypes). Then, to add an attribute, click the drop-down box and select the entry you just created and click the other add button. Ignore what the box says, and type in the attribute name (46). In our case, the attribute is the next infantry type. For original RA2, the first unused number in the list is 46, so our attribute is 46. Then, click the attribute in the list that you just created. In the value box at the bottom, type the internal name for your new unit (NEWE1).

***SIDE NOTE:
A common mistake by ametuers is adding the entire infantrytypes list into their map. This is unneccessary and results in the map's file size to be much larger than needed.

Now your new infantry unit has been successfully added to the map. Time to save and test.

Attatched is the text file version. Part 2 soon to come, including Vehicles, and after that is Part 3 with Buildings.

adding_a_unit_thru_FA2.txt
 Description:
Text version of Tutorial

Download
 Filename:  adding_a_unit_thru_FA2.txt
 Filesize:  3.73 KB
 Downloaded:  835 Time(s)

Key Words: #Tutorials #Mapping #Modding #RedAlert2 #YurisRevenge #FinalAlert2 

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's far easier to open the map in Notepad and dump all the ini stuff at the end, instead of playing around in FA2.

cracker
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, thats how I usually do it, but many have requested FA2 Tutorials, so I thought I would make some.

cracker
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Adding units to maps in Final alert 2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry about the wait, here's part 2.

Now lets add a vehicle. I will add a new tank to the map. First, you need the code for your new unit. Here is mine:

Code:

; New Tank
[NEWTNK]
UIName=Name:HTNK      ;you MUST use a value that is for an existing unit
Name=Rhino Heavy Tank      ;you MUST use a value that is for an existing unit
Image=GTNK      ;you MUST use a value that is for an existing image
Prerequisite=GAWEAP      ;building needed to train this unit
Primary=105mm      ;you can use any weapon in the game, or make a new one
Secondary=MammothTusk      ;you can use any weapon in the game, or make a new one
Strength=450
Category=AFV
Armor=heavy
Turret=yes
IsTilter=yes
Crusher=yes
TooBigToFitUnderBridge=true
TechLevel=2
Sight=8
Speed=7
CrateGoodie=no
Owner=British,French,Germans,Americans,Alliance
Cost=900
Points=25
ROT=5
Explosion=TWLT070,S_BANG48,S_BRNL58,S_CLSN58,S_TUMU60
VoiceSelect=GenAllVehicleSelect
VoiceMove=GenAllVehicleMove
VoiceAttack=GenAllVehicleAttackCommand
VoiceFeedback=
DieSound=GenVehicleDie
MoveSound=GrizzlyTankMoveStart
MaxDebris=2
Locomotor={4A582741-9839-11d1-B709-00A024DDAFD1}      ;DO NOT CHANGE THIS!
MovementZone=Normal
ThreatPosed=15   ; This value MUST be 0 for all building addons
DamageParticleSystems=SparkSys,SmallGreySSys
VeteranAbilities=STRONGER,FIREPOWER,SIGHT,FASTER
Accelerates=false
ImmuneToVeins=yes
Size=3
OpportunityFire=yes
ElitePrimary=105mmE2

;New Elite Weapon
[105mmE2]
Damage=75
ROF=55
Range=7
Projectile=Cannon
Speed=40
Warhead=GRIZAPE
Report=GrizzlyTankAttack
Anim=VTMUZZLE
Bright=yes
Burst=2

My new tank has an improved elite weapon, so the last one is the weapon.

Again, there are two ways of adding your new unit to the map. Ill do the first. Open notepad, put your new unit's code into it, and click save as. click the combo box and choose "All Files *.*" and type the name to be newtank.ini. Then, in FA2, with your map open, click Edit>INI Editing. Click insert another INI file content, navigate to newtank.ini, click ok, then choose all the entries to be added.

Next, you need to add the new tank to the [VehicleTypes] list. In FA2's INI editor, click the top add button. Type VehicleTypes. Then, click the drop-down box and select the entry you just created and click the other add button. Ignore what the box says, and type in 58. This is the next number in original RA2; if you are unsing YR or a mod, it will be different. Then, click 58 in the list (you just created it). In the value box at the bottom, type the internal name for your new unit (NEWTNK).

***SIDE NOTE:
A common mistake by ametuers is adding the entire VehicleTypes list into their map. This is unneccessary and results in the map's file size to be much larger than needed.

Now your new tank has been successfully added to the map. Time to save and test.

***ANOTHER SIDE NOTE:
Helicopters and other flying vehicles that are Jumpjets (the nighthawk and the hind transport), not Planes, are included in the VehicleTypes list, not the AircraftTypes list. Jumpjets have a lot more coding than tanks, so make sure you modify it correctly. I recommend copying the nighthawk and modifying from there.

Part three is next, covering buildings!

adding_a_unit_thru_FA2_p2.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  adding_a_unit_thru_FA2_p2.txt
 Filesize:  3.29 KB
 Downloaded:  743 Time(s)

Last edited by cracker on Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mike
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uh oops I guess?

oneStrength=450

cracker
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, fixed.

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

*One year later*

Still no buildings, eh?

IN-GAME NAME: MAKINTOKE

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What about adding buildings?

smikerboyz
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How do I know the attribute number of the other units?

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What attribute? What number? Can you rephrase that question?

smikerboyz
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is called attribute name sorry for my missing word.

Quote from Cracker:
"Then, to add an attribute, click the drop-down box and select the entry you just created and click the other add button. Ignore what the box says, and type in the attribute name (46). " the last paragraph before ***sidenote***

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can use any number for that purpose, it does not change anything, it's just a placeholder.

smikerboyz
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok thanks! Another question is how did he get the words that i highlighted with " "?
UIName="Name:HTNK"
Name=Rhino Heavy Tank
Image="GTNK"
Prerequisite="GAWEAP"

m666
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

UIName refers to the string files used in Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge to display names. That specific entry is the string file that displays the name of the Rhino heavy tank. Image= tag causes the game to load the art of that specified tank, instead of going with the standard [HTNK] on all entries in rules. GTNK is the art image for the Grizzly Tank. Prerequisite= is what determines what you'll need to build that tank. GAWEAP would be the allied war factory.

Did that help?

View user's profile Send private message Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
smikerboyz
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yea it helped me know whats it for but how do i actually find all the tags? like the HTNK or GTNK?
Like for example i want my tank to be a tesla tank, where do i get the tag for that?

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Use XCC Mixer to extract rules(md).ini, and look in it. This image might be helpful as well.

smikerboyz
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

alright thanks I got it now

Godofgamers
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry to bump the topic, but I would very much like to have a question answered.

How do I add buildings into FA2, so that they show up on the map if I'm making a pre-built base?

And back to what Clazzy said:
Quote:
It's far easier to open the map in Notepad and dump all the ini stuff at the end, instead of playing around in FA2.

So I just copy and paste the Rules.INI code for the unit at the end of the map file (in Notepad)?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Adding buildings to FA2 is pretty much the same process of adding units, but you add the [BuildingTypes] list and you add your building there and post the code of your new buldings after the list, which I recommend to put in the top of the file, specially if you want these buildings placed before the game starts.

Remember that you can't add art.ini related code to your map, so you'll need to use existing graphics.

More info, if the tutorial above isn't enough:
http://www.ppmsite.com/index.php?go=ppmfaq

smikerboyz
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, I got a question from the tutorial. Is there a way where I can make my own name for the unit? Like when I put my mouse over the icon for the unit, the name that I want for it shows up. Instead of a name that was made from Red Alert 2.

skyboy
Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

UIName=your-units-name but on mouse over it'll say Missing'your-units-name' it's unavoidable in maps, same goes for everything else with a new UIName tag

FlyingZ
Medic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

UIName=gui:empty

Will leave it blank if you can't find an existing name in the cfs.

smikerboyz
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok thanks

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: adding new items Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok I tried giving everyone their own planes, helicopters & tanks, no 2 countries have the same. When I say everyone I mean that I changed the Air Force Command so everyone can build different planes, well the iraq, the cuban, & the Libyans will have the same, but unfortunetly they build the A F C, but they build no planes. They also dont build the tanks. The only tanks they have the the ones they start off with. All they build is troops & power plants & normal stuff, but no tanks, helicopters or planes. Any help??? I'd like to give them their own troops, but I am afraid that the only troops they will have will be the 2 paradrops. The tank rules are the same as the grizlly, but the tougher tanks has the same as the Rhino, but the VXL & HVA are all differnet. Someone mentioned using the AI Editor to fix this, but I want to know if someone else has an opinion. Example of new tank rules I added for the Germans:

; PanzerA
[PanzerA]
UIName=Name:PanzerA
Name=PanzerA
Image=PanzerA
Category=AFV
Prerequisite=GAWEAP
Primary=105mm
Strength=300
Category=AFV
Armor=heavy
Turret=yes
IsTilter=yes
Crusher=yes
TooBigToFitUnderBridge=true
TechLevel=2
Sight=8
Speed=7
CrateGoodie=no
Owner=Germans
ForbiddenHouses=Russians,Confederation,Africans,Arabs,YuriCountry,British,French,Americans
Cost=650
Soylent=700
Points=25
ROT=5
Explosion=TWLT070,S_BANG48,S_BRNL58,S_CLSN58,S_TUMU60
VoiceSelect=GenAllVehicleSelect
VoiceMove=GenAllVehicleMove
VoiceAttack=GenAllVehicleAttackCommand
VoiceFeedback=
DieSound=GenVehicleDie
MoveSound=GrizzlyTankMoveStart
CrushSound=TankCrush
MaxDebris=2
; origional - Locomotor={55D141B8-DB94-11d1-AC98-006008055BB5}
Locomotor={4A582741-9839-11d1-B709-00A024DDAFD1}
;MovementZone=Destroyer ;gs FLAW needs to be changed to this when The Flaw is fixed
MovementZone=Normal
ThreatPosed=15 ; This value MUST be 0 for all building addons
DamageParticleSystems=SparkSys,SmallGreySSys
VeteranAbilities=STRONGER,FIREPOWER,SIGHT,FASTER
Accelerates=false
ImmuneToVeins=yes
Size=3
OpportunityFire=yes
ElitePrimary=105mmE
BuildTimeMultiplier=1.5;Individual control of build time
AIBuildThis=yes

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon