Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:51 am
All times are UTC + 0
Command & Conquer: The Ultimate Collection
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [34 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject:  Command & Conquer: The Ultimate Collection Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Considering that it's EA... I just only care about if it'll work with Ares.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Command & Conquer: The Ultimate Collection Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CCHyper wrote:

I mentions that it targets systems of Vista and 7, does this mean perhaps updated code of the games? Or perhaps new patches?

Or bullshit advertising to make people with compatibility concerns buy it. Of course there is the possibility that they've thrown some new stuff into it, but it probably won't fix everything and might, with a bad luck, even break something.

I don't really mind them doing yet another collection (it would only be good for those who don't really have many of those games in first place) but $49,90 for that seems pretty high price to me, considering you can probably purchase TFD+TW+RA3 for less if you know where to look for. KW, Uprising & TT, not so sure but then I again I don't know who would even want to buy TT. Also noteworthy is that all of the extras, such as the art and soundtrack are US only. Then again the UK price (£24,99) is about 10 dollars cheaper than the US one, but I seriously wouldn't be surprised if the euro-zone will get the same pricetag as the US version, only in euros which would be a ripoff.

Last edited by Starkku on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:00 pm; edited 2 times in total

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's yet another The First Decade (that includes all previous games). But instead of the DVD, you have to download everything from Origin.

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
It's yet another The First Decade (that includes all previous games). But instead of the DVD, you have to download everything from Origin.

Honestly, I don't know why people get all pissy about origin and shit. DLC is the future of gaming. Sucks, but it's what's profitable.

I like going through origin/steam/direct/GSNow download and such. It means I get to be lazy and don't have to go the store. Plus, daily deals with several of those apps means cheap games for those who are patient. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
blubb
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm almost pissed they shove in the old games wich *are* free already, without any support, fixing any bugs like the wave class bug from the beginning, patching or support for newer systems. thats no fan service at all.

Hydraw Art on Facebook

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, what do you expect..its EA! They have no frickin' intention of real support for oldies...

Only milking more money off this franchise for as long as they can and this pack is ridiculous...you can get all of those for cheaper price given the oldies are free... and 1st decade pack costs like nothing now or those individual games.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

daTS wrote:
Honestly, I don't know why people get all pissy about origin and shit.

And yet I buy Humble Bundles and two weeks of the year closely watching the Summer Sale.

Not Origin's 'We Love Summer' Sale, where a few things got minor price reductions. The Summer Sale. The one where pretty much the entire catalogue was at 75% off at some point or another. I have bought one single piece of DLC ever. And that was on sale. 99c.

The reason I get pissy at Origin is that it's EA trying to apply the same strategies to online sale as it does to retail. If you don't need to pay for manufacturing of discs and boxes and manuals and stuff - and localisation of them - you can sell for cheaper and make more profit. So why don't the EA run studios do that?

On the one hand, I don't think that Steam should be the only distribution platform, because monopolies are dangerous. On the other hand, why is there so little proper competition? Why is EA still holding onto the glorious days of yore when charging $90 was legitimate?

Last edited by Orac on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

blubb wrote:
i'm almost pissed they shove in the old games wich *are* free already, without any support, fixing any bugs like the wave class bug from the beginning, patching or support for newer systems. thats no fan service at all.

Actually, I'd be kinda annoyed if they started messing with C&C95 at this point Razz

blubb
General

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nyerguds wrote:
blubb wrote:

Actually, I'd be kinda annoyed if they started messing with C&C95 at this point Razz

if they pull it off in a "good" compatible way, i'd be for it.
they should update and fix their games in retrospective for this collection, only then it would be worth to spend money on things that are already for free.

that was always a critical issue for me with EA, their policy that the support for their games runs out in such a short time. same with westwood tough. after 2.03 patch for TS, more official patches were in dire need still for the game and firestorm also. with RA 2 i can't confirm as i've not played it enough and don't know enough about the patches there.

Hydraw Art on Facebook

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LOL, EA sellin' free games 'n shit.
(RA, TS)

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm interested about the exclusive art.

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:

Not sure if you were around when TFD was released. They did edit the YR executable (and they did that using a hex editor) to fix some DVD problem, but that didn't affect much of RockPatch.

Ares should be mostly unaffected as long as they still only do minor hex edits. After the TFD edit, there shouldn't be any need for that though. If I recall right, an Ares fix overrides the CD check anyway.

No worries I suppose. Smile

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Command & Conquer™ Tiberian Sun™
Command & Conquer™ Tiberian Sun™ Firestorm™
Orchestrate the war of the future as you once again command the Brotherhood of Nod or the GDI. With every successful attack, your high-tech weapons and units gain experience points, which reward you with devastating additions to your arsenal.

Can someone tell them that this is wrong.
I doubt anyone has ever seen an elite Titan in vanilla TS, considering it would have to kill more than 20 other Titans (or any other units worth in total 16000 Cr) to get to this point. Not to speak of the almost completely missing VeteranAbilities and EliteAbilities on each unit in rules.ini.

btw, also nice how they still use the beta screenshot for TD.

On a good side: since they sell these, there will be surely several people posting problems in the forums again like "this isn't working on my Win7 PC" etc, so maybe this will bring this to EAs attention again.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pd wrote:
Graion Dilach wrote:

Not sure if you were around when TFD was released. They did edit the YR executable (and they did that using a hex editor) to fix some DVD problem, but that didn't affect much of RockPatch.

Ares should be mostly unaffected as long as they still only do minor hex edits. After the TFD edit, there shouldn't be any need for that though. If I recall right, an Ares fix overrides the CD check anyway.

No worries I suppose. Smile

I remember... I had TFD and waited for MO 2.0a. #Tongue That IMO says it all... once I could manage to get 1.07b installed onto the TFD gamemd, before the repackages... sadly I tripped the instablowup copyprotection.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:

The only thing that actually interests me about this package as well. Problem for EA is: a few days after release it's probably available for download somewhere #Tongue

ChronoSeth
Sergeant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
btw, also nice how they still use the beta screenshot for TD.

From the looks of it, they're also using pre-release screenshots for Renegade and RA2. Confused

freedom fighter
General

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its got a complete compilation of all the music from all games. That in itself is awesome (TT had the best soundtrack of the lot imo).

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, what it includes is a best-of C&C soundtracks which consists of 20 songs.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Burn the heretic.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

freedom fighter wrote:
TT had the best soundtrack of the lot imo.
You've got to be shitting me. I'm not saying Klepacki is a genius (he isn't) but TT had by far the worst soundtrack, even TW was better. TT was simply generic orchestral stuff with absolutely no style or atmosphere, it's just the generic soundtrack that gets made to fill the void of silence.

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nod TT soundtrack was nice though. GDI one.. not so much.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
blubb
General

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
freedom fighter wrote:
You've got to be shitting me. I'm not saying Klepacki is a genius (he isn't) but TT had by far the worst soundtrack, even TW was better. TT was simply generic orchestral stuff with absolutely no style or atmosphere, it's just the generic soundtrack that gets made to fill the void of silence.

he is, he grew similar to bill leeb in deliverance and quality, UAW ost, give it a try, it's outlandishly good.

edit: and yes, the TT ost has film soundtrack texture, not at the game pace maybe, but alone in winamp, it's unveiling it's true colors, it has moments that sends shivers down my spine it's so good. ( but thats maybe because i love film soundtracks)

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TT certainly beats UAW when it comes to the orchestral pieces. The choir in UAW soundtracks clearly sounds artificial, unlike that in TT. I'm not blaming Klepacki for having limited software/resources, though.

This compilation album sounds redundant. Only 20 songs? The entire series must've a close 200.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

blubb wrote:
he is, he grew similar to bill leeb in deliverance and quality, UAW ost, give it a try, it's outlandishly good.

edit: and yes, the TT ost has film soundtrack texture, not at the game pace maybe, but alone in winamp, it's unveiling it's true colors, it has moments that sends shivers down my spine it's so good. ( but thats maybe because i love film soundtracks)

Never really liked Klepacki's orchestral sound, just seems a bit thin and oddly mixed. I think his TD and RA OSTs are most diverse and the nicest scores he's done.

And regarding movie soundtracks IMO TT is basically generic film score. IMO there's no such thing as a "film sound" simply good music and TT pushes no boundaries. Good film soundtracks for me are: Blade Runner, 1492: Conquest of Paradise, 28 Days Later, Sunshine, The Terminator, Escape From New York, Assassination of Jesse James, A Clockwork Orange & Mulholland Drive etc.

Most of those are synth based though so I guess I just prefer the sound. Some OSTs are driving, others are perfunctory & reactionary, simply there to fill the space.

Last edited by OmegaBolt on Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well yeah UAW soundtrack isn't bad, altough the orchestral pieces are not so good as has been stated already. Tiberian Twilight soundtrack, whilst it had some good tracks, didn't feel very C&C-like to me. And oh yeah, FK has been composing music for End of Nations too. It's mostly orchestral with some his usual rocking style thrown into the mix. How well it works, I suppose depends on a personal opinion.

On-topic: What I really don't like is how the artwork & soundtrack are included in the US version only, as I've already noted before in this topic. Makes the already rather pointless incentives (aside from the games themselves) for purchase even more pointless.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
blubb
General

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
TT certainly beats UAW when it comes to the orchestral pieces. The choir in UAW soundtracks clearly sounds artificial, unlike that in TT. I'm not blaming Klepacki for having limited software/resources, though.

This compilation album sounds redundant. Only 20 songs? The entire series must've a close 200.

hmm i think it's more because frank klepacki's music consists more of industrial patterns than anything else, let alone movie'esque aesthetic, and in that genre he's very good.

OmegaBolt wrote:
blubb wrote:

Never really liked Klepacki's orchestral sound, just seems a bit thin and oddly mixed. I think his TD and RA OSTs are most diverse and the nicest scores he's done.

And regarding movie soundtracks IMO TT is basically generic film score. IMO there's no such thing as a "film sound" simply good music and TT pushes no boundaries. Good film soundtracks for me are: Blade Runner, 1492: Conquest of Paradise, 28 Days Later, Sunshine, The Terminator, Escape From New York, Assassination of Jesse James, A Clockwork Orange & Mulholland Drive etc.

Most of those are synth based though so I guess I just prefer the sound. Some OSTs are driving, others are perfunctory & reactionary, simply there to fill the space.

if i remember correctly, since TW EA hired film score composer for the soundtracks, apart from that, there is certainly a genre for film scores, just like any other genre

But points to you, you named a few Ost's i really hold dear to me.
Even in the "generic cliche" of an ost there are some very good ones, clint mansell for example delivers some fantastic good work on "the fountain".

as for TD and RA, i don't know, your opinion sounds more like taste rather than facts, but both are terrible mixed, they sure have their charme and are great from the songwriting, but you can hear they have a "discoverer's" handwriting , wich is not a bad thing at all, it's makes the sound more intuitive.

as for the newer klepacki, at his stuff, he is really good, and you can see how he grew with his work to reach an excellent standart. the only thing UAW suffers from is high compression, wich is a genre fault, industrial tends to be highly compressed these days.

and for UAW orchestral titles, some opf them are epic, i don't know where the problem is, of course they sound artificial, that has nothing to do with bad equipment, i believe he has more than enough equipment he loves to use, and he does, it's intendet that way, it's the usual, and it's good, the newer frontline assembly stuff is executed the same exact genre typical way in mixing and mastering.

edit: as for the EoN ost, i see nothing wrong, it's awesome so far, epic.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TlzQiHpeMU&feature=related[/youtube]

Hydraw Art on Facebook

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

blubb wrote:
if i remember correctly, since TW EA hired film score composer for the soundtracks, apart from that, there is certainly a genre for film scores, just like any other genre
What I mean is I don't see how "film" can be a music genre when film music itself is so varied, they must fit into other already existing genres surely.

blubb wrote:
clint mansell for example delivers some fantastic good work on "the fountain"
I don't remember the music. Razz But as I said there's music that supports the image and music that helps drive it. Driving music is better IMO, to completely involve the music in the making of the movie is important rather than leaving it as an after thought, expecting the composer to "make your film better". Some think music shouldn't be noticed in a movie but I completely disagree.

blubb wrote:
as for TD and RA, i don't know, your opinion sounds more like taste rather than facts
I don't know what facts there can be in this discussion, it's all opinion.

blubb wrote:
but both are terrible mixed, they sure have their charme and are great from the songwriting, but you can hear they have a "discoverer's" handwriting , wich is not a bad thing at all, it's makes the sound more intuitive.
Personally I like that quality. It sounds like he had a lot of fun creating all the music, it's very fluid and organic. Often I think when a musician reaches a certain level they stop experimenting because they've found their style which then leaves the music solid but not as fresh or creative. Any artists should constantly be challenging and changing their art but there's not always room for that in an industry.

blubb
General

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
What I mean is I don't see how "film" can be a music genre when film music itself is so varied, they must fit into other already existing genres surely.

Not film itself, but film scores in general.

Quote:
I don't remember the music. But as I said there's music that supports the image and music that helps drive it. Driving music is better IMO, to completely involve the music in the making of the movie is important rather than leaving it as an after thought, expecting the composer to "make your film better". Some think music shouldn't be noticed in a movie but I completely disagree.

Really? In the film itself and apart from that the music moved me.
Meh, i don't prefer anything over the other, personally i like when a score delivers the right atmosphere, doesn't matter if driving, or just backgrounds, there are always tiny bits in those pieces who are outstanding and tell themselves apart from other soundtracks. But often times i expierenced that scores from a film are better when you listen purely to them without the film.

Quote:
Personally I like that quality. It sounds like he had a lot of fun creating all the music, it's very fluid and organic. Often I think when a musician reaches a certain level they stop experimenting because they've found their style which then leaves the music solid but not as fresh or creative.

the songwriting has nothing to do with the quality, if you talk about quality on a song, it's usually reffered to the mix and master, wich in TD and RA's case is lower quality. That was the point.
With your other statement you're totally right, i've seen this a lot of times, even with a friend of mine who had to change his genre from electronic music to playing another instrument because he was getting stale. I's the usual, and i think frank klepacki is holding out good in that perspective, sure he reached his creative playkid peak with TD/RA maybe TS, and RA2 too, but he's still kid enough to play around and add twists and suprises wich is what i like, i'm especially fond in ALL of his Dune game series soundtracks.

Quote:
Any artists should constantly be challenging and changing their art but there's not always room for that in an industry.

this is what i would wish for, but it's not wanted, by most of the audience, even in niche scenes, real experimentalism or innovation is hard to sell.
If you're lucky on the other hand it doesn't take 2 days until 1 thousant carbon copies of you show up.

dubstep

Also as musician, you have a debut, surely you can change over time, or shape, but as musician would want to have your handwriting on this, i do too.

Hydraw Art on Facebook

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I liked some of TT's orchestral tracks, but that's about it. IMO, while the orchestral parts of UAW sound artificial, the OST generally is better than any of the C&C games' OSTs. It has a lot of variation, and all of the different styles sound very good to me. And I like that EoN track a lot. Of the classic C&C games, I don't really have a favourite for the OST. I like TD and RA music a lot, and while TS music is different I like the atmosphere of the music, with Firestorm having some more aggressive tracks as well.

About the collection, I'm pretty sure TFD + TW + RA3 isn't much more expensive (or those might even be less expensive) than that is. In addition, like with TFD, I'm expecting the classics to be more or less broken, and the community has to make tools to patch the games again. In other words, I think it's a poor attempt of milking more money from the old games using scammy advertising ("updated for Windows 7 and Windows Vista" -- in reality I don't think we'll be seeing any updates).

blubb
General

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it's a joke, i got TW and TT (i wish i didn't) both for 4 bucks each at steam, i could have got RA 3 also for that price aswell, altough it was summer camp ( i think) it would make 15 bucks for all 3 of them, with generally (and i think this is coming again sometime) 15 +/- € spent on the newer titles, i don't know how much wort the old titles would be in that perspective....well if that's not an awesome EA deal right there.

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Vladimir
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:

Me too. I'd get it simply for collection reasons and since I didn't buy RA3, Kane's Wrath or TT I may as well consolidate everything into one.

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Because who needs more C&C fans, right? I mean getting new people to play older games and all that.

We wouldn't want them to start of TT or RA3, nooooooo.

There is Nothing I can not Cut!

freedom fighter
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
freedom fighter wrote:

My opinion. I love the intense orchestral songs. "Welcome Back, Commander" was an awesome calm before the storm-style song. No need to go knight templar on me :/

20 songs only... You've got to be shitting me, right?

P.S Who remembers the E:BFD OST (Tribute To Evil FTW!!)?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [34 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum