Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:15 am
All times are UTC + 0
Launch Base support
Moderators: Ares Support Team at PPM, Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
bsnighteye
Civilian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject:  Launch Base support
Subject description: For further questions regarding relationship between Ares and Launch Base
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I created this topic due to 2 things:

1) Little activity on primary LaunchBase forum - http://forums.renegadeprojects.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=67
This forum lacks info about Ares - Launch Base cooperation since 0.1 version.

2) Misleading information in Readme files in Ares packages (today - 0.2-rc2 pack) regarding LaunchBase capabilities (original text was saved):

Quote:

RUNNING ARES THROUGH LAUNCH BASE
--------------------------------

-
NOTE: Launch Base will not run Syringe (or Ares) by default - it only runs
Syringe if the mod you are launching requires Ares.
-

1. Download and install the latest version of Launch Base.
http://marshall.strategy-x.com/LaunchBase/LB_Setup.exe

2. Run Launch Base and then launch unmodded Yuri's Revenge to make sure you
don't have any trouble with basic Launch Base functions.
Configure Launch Base as you see fit (Tools > Options).

3. In the main window, click Ares > Update Syringe & Ares
to make sure the Ares download has been sucessful.

If a mod requires Ares, Launch Base should now properly launch it.

Meanwhile, there are no "Ares > Update Syringe & Ares" options and no any downloadable Ares components either (for current Launch Base 0.99.258 (Public Beta)). Manual installation of Ares do not seem to make any additional options.

What is required:
1) Proper updated instructions for Ares - Launch Base usage.
2) Appearance of Launch Base section in Official Documentation

P.S.: I think to keep this thread for any Launch Base - Ares problems is the better idea than to create many diversed threads.
P.P.S.: Forgive me my grammatic or spelling mistakes. And forgive me if there is some things which I do not understood (but which I should have) - I'm from Russia so I beg you to be benevolent.

Thank you for your attention!

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Launch Base support in the above form got limbo'd with the SVN -> Git move. HOWEVER

- When it worked, you didn't even needed that update option due to it always checked that before mod launch and updated/downloaded the missing components.
- And there is also a bug with it that on some systems, the verification fails and either Ares/Syringe gets redownloaded.

I think the most stable Ares-LB cooperation is to download a version of Ares, create a syringe subfolder in the mod, put dll/inj there, and set launcher/liblist.gam's UseAres=no.

With this way LB reports that the mod uses a custom Ares dll, and while this version sacrifices updating, it allows to to manually choose your dll version which could be useful as well.

LB haven't had an update for years now to reflect the changes made in Ares development due to being just freshly opensourced and Marshall was really absent in these times.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
bsnighteye
Civilian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks! But you're still recommending LB to use with Ares even it wasn't in active development for a long time now? Can you create a little tip about the most efficient Ares usage (I mean developers' point of view on how to use Ares). After your reply I'm concered a bit. Plus this misleading old docs should be deleted for sure!

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I personally would say yes, but LB is not widely accepted in the community. It has too many small quirks, like that if you fill the subdirs with tons of stuff, it takes more than 10 minutes to startup, or the update-fails-due-to-not-getting-the-whole-file-in-time...

The concept is great, and as a developer's tool, to keep your YR folder fresh to launch a WIP mod while not fill your RA2 folder with all those files it is fine, but beyond that... it came too late and got too lately tested in the public. I for example only use it personally but it's out of my mod release plans. Simply because it has that many annoyances which I don't want to deflect to anyone who accidentally decides to play my mod (if I get there at all).

Being efficient should be your decision, there are no rules. You have to feel if LB worths your time or not. There are no regulations in this, if you feel you progress faster without LB, then you don't use LB. Nobody enforcen you to do.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried to work my way through LB and even converting it to .net. It is a large project, with so many options, many of which I don't even know what the problem was that led to their implementation. Plus, it distinguishes between mods and plugins, which complicates issues a lot. I have no idea how widely any of these options is used (or even LB as a whole), so I'm not working on it further.

The readme included in the 0.2 RC packages is not final yet and it essentially hasn't been updated for two years. This will be updated for the release.

edit:
Would it be ok to remove the LB information from the readme and put them on ModEnc? This way it can be kept up-to-date easier.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon