Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:45 am
All times are UTC + 0
Command & Conquer: Modern Warfare
Moderators: Generals Moderators, Global Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
OpFor_One
Medic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject:  Command & Conquer: Modern Warfare Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Storyline:
It is the year 2045, and the Earth's oil supplies have been nearly depleted. Now, the world's major superpowers are beginning to get into a conflict over this oil. The result: World War III.
This mod is NOT related to the Call of Duty games. It is for TS and I hope to bring the TS engine to new heights. I know it'll be hard, but with some help and some luck, who knows?

Planned Features:

-Realistic and modern military units
-Tiberium is to be replaced by oil wells
-AA Combat
-Realistic cities

Factions:
-Allies
-Global Commonwealth
-Warlords

-ALLIES

The Allies consist of countries that want nothing to do with another war, but will fight to protect freedom and the rights of mankind. The Allies will use strategy like GDI's; up-close and personal.

-Global Commonwealth

The Global Commonwealth is composed mainly of third-world countries, and will play somewhat similar to Nod. The Commonwealth's intentions are only that of survival.

-Warlords

These people could care less about oil. Their only intention is to raid, steal, and kill. They will play somewhat similar to a mix of GDI and Nod.

Skills I am looking for in potential teammates:

-Coding (I plan to stretch the TS engine to the limits; I've been exploring this for some time)
-Mappers (I am a tiny bit experienced in this department)
-Voxelers
-Concept Artists

Also, if you'd like to donate some public voxel assets, that would be highly appreciated. I am looking for modern-themed voxels of realistic military units.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-AA combat in the meaning of dogfights is not possible with the TS engine.
-realism is a quite hard goal, due to the size limitations for objects. e.g. units not much bigger than a cell, buildings not bigger than the fixed amount of foundations (4x4 being already the biggest quadratic). So in terms of dimension, realism can't be reached very well.

none the less, good luck with your project Smile

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DMAN
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If that's the scenario I think a ton of people would go into mass hysteria and raid the shit out of supermarkets and gas stations.Eventually government would be out of the question with a massive amount of people turning to survival more than society as a whole.Oil is a necessity of our modern life if you think about it.

People in cities would be the first to bite the bullet with a lack of farm land and food and oil for transportation many would die,Potential cannibalism as well.I'll try to wrap my head around it more but basically no oil means everything relying on oil to run or create it is out of the picture so running vehicles would be a rarity.

Also if the government has the last of the oil surely the people would pry it from them.Add more or fix any my flaws because I'm not an expert in this criteria.Still the project sounds fine,good luck.

Smile

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just go with the YR Engine. Nothing wrong with the TS Engine but yeah... YR Engine has more stuff available. And if your going to be picky on infantry size just resize them down to TS Size. (75%)

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

both engines seem to have their pros&cons concerning this project
YR
-no forrest fires (bad since he aims for more realism)
-tiberium/ore is by default harmless, thus better suited for oil
-not standalone (except with Ares)
-3rd side support
-will need a lot of time just to get rid of all the then useless vanilla YR crap (cleaning up mix-files and stripping the game down to the minimum to start from there implementing the new stuff used for this mod)
-bad menu coding/expandability
-limited amount of campaigns
-more ini logics available (though since he aims for realism, not many should be useful)
-better multiplayer settings (e.g. starting locations etc)
-horrible ugly cartoonish terrain which needs to be entirely replaced to fit to this mod (a huge amount of work imo)
-cartoonish ugly civil buildings need to be replaced with more realistic stuff to fit to this mod

TS
-fast menu and loading, thus much easier to debug when you constantly restart and test ingame
-quite bad unit control/AI (e.g. units following passing by enemies till deep into the enemy base. horrible for AA-units following enemy aircraft back into the enemy base)
-easy to mod
-no 3rd side support by default (only via workarounds)
-no campaign limits (can add as many as he wants)
-vanilla TS terrain is already quite well looking and should work fine for this mod

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

EricAnimeFreak
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OpFor_One wrote:
It is the year 2045, and the Earth's oil supplies have been nearly depleted. Now, the world's major superpowers are beginning to get into a conflict over this oil.

All well and good, but it appears all your descriptions for your countries lack any drive to conflict over the oil. You need to update your descriptions and story. "Though I'm not one to say anything as my mod doesn't even have a story or setup like this."

The allies want nothing to do with war, they will fight, not for oil but freedom?

The commonwealths goal is only survival, does that mean they don't want oil or do they intend to use the "third world countries" power to take oil from the main countries and get crushed, :that sounds like suicide not survival."

The warlords care less about oil, so I guess there not in conflict over oil, unless of course, you argue that they are sitting on the only valid source of oil and are defending it, "but from whom, the freedom fighting allies or the third world countries focusing primarily on survival?"

Ok I was nitpicking, but that just was screaming in my head to maybe be fixed.

My thoughts, theory on countries.

Warlords have oil, they however lack food, and are made up of very desperate people willing to steal raid, and enslave others. The one being oppressed? The poor third world countries just trying to survive as their freedom is taken from the Warlords, "oh the poor Commonwealth!" But wait the allies will put a stop the the warlords!

Some other thoughts on your pro's and cons on game engines Lin Kuei Ominae:

Yuri:
Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:

-3rd side support

Ares has support for up to 16 fully working sides.

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
-will need a lot of time just to get rid of all the then useless vanilla YR crap (cleaning up mix-files and stripping the game down to the minimum to start from there implementing the new stuff used for this mod)

Why do you need to strip down the game size? You on DSL?

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
-limited amount of campaigns

Unlimited with Ares.

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
-more ini logics available (though since he aims for realism, not many should be useful)

I think creating your world would require more ini usage, really.

TS:
Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
-fast menu and loading, thus much easier to debug when you constantly restart and test ingame

Ares rapidly speed up menu guis, and provided other tools for testing including debugging options for Yr.

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
-easy to mod

I'd argue that Ra2yuri is just as easy if not more so.

Anyways I just thought I'd share my thoughts, take the advice how you wish. I wish you good luck on your mod.

Preplaced Neutral buildings.
Additional new features.

Enjoy Everyone!

Dubzac
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TS : All in the Name of Oil ,Modern Warfare
Better name

it should take less than 6 months (including balancing)

PS: @Atomic_Noodles one problem i have another mod in progress in RA2 it will slow me and OpFor_One to finsh on time.

Psssst:
Nah its 2 sides the third is not really a side its just dummy, it will make our maps better (still civ side)
beside more stuff to look at and shoot at.

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Why do you need to strip down the game size? You on DSL?

100GB per month on what is considered a good plan for Australia, yeah filesize counts, also less time to wait downloading unnecessary rubbish = less time to wait downloading necessary rubbish.

Anywhom, good luck on your second mod DubZac

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Australian internet... the horror.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon