Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:44 am
All times are UTC + 0
Save games?
Moderators: Ares Support Team at PPM, Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject:  Save games?
Subject description: Will we ever have them in ares?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know I ask this periodically, but is there any plan to fix save games and maintain them as new features get added? It must be hideously complex/ terribly boring to deal with or it would have been done by now I take it.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Im wondering the issue that you guys have, because i have extended all the 'Big 4' as you guys call it and changed the save game version ID and i can load and save games with no problem.

I have yet to extend the Techno classes, so is it the TechnoExt/TechnoTypeExt that breaks?

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DCoder started to add a savegame feature, but is isn't done yet. There are many more classes that need to be saved, not only TechnoTypes and Technos, but also stuff for super weapons, prism forwarding, animations, bullets, warheads, weapons, rules, sides, countries, houses, house types, ...

It will be done some day, but it will be dull work and require a lot of testing. And I know how many people are testing the dull issues.... And it will require retesting whenever a new feature is added, which will slow down things.

It's definitely something for the colder days.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So its just become one of them things to 'fix later'?

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It has been a thing to fix later when I joined the Ares team in 2010. With hundreds of requested features, there are always things that have to be done later. My time is not unlimited, and if I got a choice, I'd do the feature that requires constant updates last.

But as I said, DCoder started coding the feature and it just has to be applied to everything. We're closer to completion than ever Very Happy

The particular problem with savegames is that it can't be split. It can't be coded and tested partially, because if one part fails, it doesn't matter if everything else works fine.

Full testing also means saving the game in every possible situation for every feature: Fire nuke, save when it launches, when it leaves the screen, when it re-enters, when it hits (NUKEBALL), when it explodes. Loading should work as expected every time, no matter what happens. Remember C&C TD, where you could make the nuke disappear if you save when it's flying. Reload and it won't come down. It's gone, and that should not happen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon