Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:23 am
All times are UTC + 0
(The closest thing to) Drop Pods in YR! [Ares]
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject:  (The closest thing to) Drop Pods in YR! [Ares]
Subject description: Does not even really require Ares, but doing it in normal YR is terribad and breaks all paradrops...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This tutorial will propably soon be made obsolete by future versions of Ares, but I'll add it anyways. It allows you to re-create something akin to the Drop Pod SW in Firestorm. For those of you who have never played it, or bothered to check its features, this superweapon would call in a group of space capsules (kinda) that would descend on the target area in a tilted fall, each one firing a machine gun at the target during its descent. Upon impact, they would open up and fade away, releasing infantry under the player's command. In a sense, it is a "hardened" version of the paradrop from Red Alert 2. Which brings us right to the middle of the action! You'll need the following:

1) Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge (obviously)
2) A copy of the latest version of Ares, which is 0.2 at the point of this writing.
3) A basic understanding of how to code Paradrop SWs in Ares (or check back with their feature documentation!)

First off, this tutorial will require you to sacrifice one of the spawned missiles - V3ROCKET, DMISL, CMISL (actually it will remain useable, and if you can find a graphic that fits both a missile and a drop pod, and can cope with the alterations to the weapon system, you can keep the missile in use in its missile role as well.) So select one you find most expendable. I would opt for CMISL, but only because my mod removes Boomers. Next, find this line:
Code:
*LazyCurve=

where '*' corresponds to the missile type you have chosen.
Change this line to 'yes' (unless you picked V3ROCKET, in which case it is already 'yes', so you can skip this part). This part is actually optional, as any missile object will do, but I found LazyCurve gives the best results as far as recreating the original drop pod look goes.

Next, you may want to create a new ID for your drop pod. For the sake of continuity, let's go with the original [DPOD]. Find the line that says:
Code:
*Type=

where '*' is again the type you have chosen to sacrifice. Edit this line to say 'DPOD' (or whatever ID you opted to give your new drop pod).
Btw, this is not necessary, you may also keep the original ID.

Next, create a new paradrop SW clone via tools allowed by Ares. The stats do not really matter, they are up to you for balancing, but the following is necessary:
Code:
Paradrop.Aircraft=DPOD

Change the Paradrop.Type and Paradrop.Num to whatever infantry (or vehicle, if youre feeling like it! But that is not very FS-ish) you want to have the drop pods deliver. To remain faithful to TS/FS, its propably best to never use more than 1 or 2 in Paradrop.Num, which means 1 or 2 infantrymen per drop pod. You can actually define the precise load for each pod, and even for each side, but this goes into alot of detail that I rather leave to the Ares documentation.

Now, create the aircraft type with the ID 'DPOD' (or whatever ID you chose to use for your drop pod). You can actually propably simply clone V3ROCKET, or any other object with a missile locomotor, but for my own use, I copied the DPOD straight from Firestorm and added the YR-relevant tags, such as UIName, ConsideredAircraft, and the like.
A Passengers= value is not really needed, as the game forces it on the unit if it is spawned with passengers already on board, but it cannot hurt to define it.  Keep in mind that the object needs to have the missile locomotor.

Do not forget to add both your aircraft and SW to their appropriate lists!

The Drop Pod SW should now be useable in-game. Did you think of granting it to a building? Good! Have fun!

Annotation:
There are two to three known drawbacks of this method of recreation:

First, the transported infantry will 'bail' out of their doomed drop pod during descent, parachuting to the ground. However, this may actually be desirable to some mods and purposes, I have not found a workaround for it.

Second, this tutorial does NOT recreate the machine-gun-during-descent feature, I have not figured that one out yet and it is propably not doable. The drop pod will impact, and deal damage like, a generic spawned missile (seemingly defaults to damage=600 and DMISLWH), turning it into a weapon in its own right even without any on-board weaponry. The exact damage and warhead and the like can be modified in the appropriate section of the spawned missile you turned into the drop pod, if you chose to edit a pre-existing missile to make use of the LazyCurve feature.

Third, scattering the Drop Pod crash sites in the fashion done in the Scud Storm tutorial seems to be impossible - this particular behaviour seems to depend on the aircraft actually firing its weapon, which a transport aircraft does not do. This is not a real drawback, simply a limitation of the things you can possibly do with it.

Key Words: #Tutorials #Modding #RedAlert2 #YurisRevenge #Ares #Rules.INI 

Last edited by Millennium on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kick your ass #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
EricAnimeFreak
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's mine in my mod. Though I also have to give credit to kenosis and other parties for the shp's!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ8VLHNc7zU&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Preplaced Neutral buildings.
Additional new features.

Enjoy Everyone!

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

....o_o

....... :S

I'm assuming Unit Delivery SW with the drop pods being an animation?

Our mission, unfinished, may take a thousand years.  

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those are such, indeed.

Have to say tho, I like your method too.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon