Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:59 am
All times are UTC + 0
GDI Upgrade Centre/Beta GDI Radar
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject:  GDI Upgrade Centre/Beta GDI Radar
Subject description: Why only two upgrade slots?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One thing I have never quite understood is why did the beta GDI Radar (and then the GDI Upgrade centre in release) only have 2 upgrade slots.

When there were always intended to be 3 upgrades (even if WW messed up and only added upgrade No.3 in Firestorm)
Even the radar concept renders show all 3 upgrades and they were mentioned numerous times in WW Chat logs during development.

1. Maybe originally GDI could only build one radar and the player had to make a decision as to which upgrade route to take, sacrificing one upgrade they had no room for!?

2. Maybe it was to encourage the player to build more than one radar, as the loss of this 1 building with 2 upgrades was quite a substantial blow to the GDI Player (and the eventual reason WW removed the upgrade plugs from the Radar and put it onto a separate building)

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What exactly is your point? It does seem to me pointless to be able to build all upgrades at once. There should be an element of choice and sacrifice, especially since they are "upgrades" not requirements.

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
What exactly is your point?

Well I don't really have one, I was just putting the question out there to see what others thought.

OmegaBolt wrote:

It does seem to me pointless to be able to build all upgrades at once. There should be an element of choice and sacrifice, especially since they are "upgrades" not requirements.

But you can build all upgrades with multiple Upgrade Centres?

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I can't remember TS much tbh lol, but at least then it makes you pay more for them all I guess. Though I'd still prefer to force the player to choose.

I mean it could also be foundation sizes or anything.

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: GDI Upgrade Centre/Beta GDI Radar Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SMIFFGIG wrote:
One thing I have never quite understood is why did the beta GDI Radar (and then the GDI Upgrade centre in release) only have 2 upgrade slots.

In early stages, the GDI power plant could have no first 'upgrade'. There are in fact 3 upgrade pods, the released version just had the first one done already.
It'll always be speculating...

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I picture the "original" upgrades only being the ion cannon, and the threat rating node.

It looked like hunter-seekers were planned to be built via war factory, but were later changed to a superweapons probably for being OP

I don't recall any intentions to put a drop pod superweapon in original TS (probably because they had already planned on the dropship bay for that purpose)

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RP wrote:
SMIFFGIG wrote:

In early stages, the GDI power plant could have no first 'upgrade'. There are in fact 3 upgrade pods, the released version just had the first one done already.
It'll always be speculating...

I know, I changed it back like this in TS Retro
But I'm talking about the Radar/Upgrade centre not the powerplant!?

Team Black wrote:
I picture the "original" upgrades only being the ion cannon, and the threat rating node.

It looked like hunter-seekers were planned to be built via war factory, but were later changed to a superweapons probably for being OP

I don't recall any intentions to put a drop pod superweapon in original TS (probably because they had already planned on the dropship bay for that purpose)

Here you can see Ion Cannon and Threat rating Node
http://www.kickassgear.com/images/gdi-Radar.jpg

Here you can see Threat rating node and Hunter-Seeker addon
http://cybergooch.com/pages/tibsunarchive/dpotter.htm

Drop Pods were also orginally planned as a superweapon in vanilla TS. However what their prerequisite would have been is unknown as the TRN plugin was recycled in FS as the Drop Pod Node.

As for the HS from warfactory, you may be correct about this, but afaik the HS node has always been the HS node.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could speculate that they could have ditched the threat rating node, which they then decided to turn the HS into a superweapon.

Seems more likely they planned all three right off the bat

The Team Black Index

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team Black wrote:
You could speculate that they could have ditched the threat rating node, which they then decided to turn the HS into a superweapon.

Seems more likely they planned all three right off the bat

All 3 are mentioned as superweapons in WW chatlogs and TS Previews
Which are much harder to find these days and archive.org seems to be offline.

Eitherway the Threat rating node is in the TS rules.ini fully coded but unused.
Along with the Hunter Seeker Node and Ion Cannon Node. Which of course are used.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought it was because droppods were not a SW to start with?

Dubzac
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well i think this was intentional and not a mistake by WW for haveing 3 upgrades and 2 slots i think its like adding the 3rd upgrade is like a optional extra BTW the 3rd upgrade is not available when the 2 shots are fulled. More over i think it stops the player from being over powered.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I remember using the thrat rating node, but I never saw a difference. I know what it was designed to do, but what does it actually do?

The Team Black Index

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dubzac wrote:
Well I think this was intentional and not a mistake by WW. Having 3 upgrades and 2 slots, I think it's like adding the 3rd upgrade is an optional extra. BTW the 3rd upgrade is not available when the 2 slots are filled. Moreover I think it stops the player from being over-powered.

Fixed.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team Black wrote:
I remember using the thrat rating node, but I never saw a difference. I know what it was designed to do, but what does it actually do?

When constructed, it sets a variable in the owning house to True (HasThreatRating/EnableThreatRating) but nothing happens or checks that variable IIRC.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CCHyper wrote:
Team Black wrote:

When constructed, it sets a variable in the owning house to True (HasThreatRating/EnableThreatRating) but nothing happens or checks that variable IIRC.

I'm pretty sure it starts reading the following values for the house's units (and base defenses, IIRC), instead of the default "dumb" values. I've seen harvesters and APCs avoid enemy units and defenses after that house had constructed a TRN.

MyEffectivenessCoefficientDefault=
TargetEffectivenessCoefficientDefault=
TargetSpecialThreatCoefficientDefault=
TargetStrengthCoefficientDefault=
TargetDistanceCoefficientDefault=

Remember that these are global values, you can specify them for each TechnoType via the following parameters:

MyEffectivenessCoefficient=
TargetEffectivenessCoefficient=
TargetSpecialThreatCoefficient=
TargetStrengthCoefficientDefault=
TargetDistanceCoefficientDefault=

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
I've seen harvesters and APCs avoid enemy units and defenses after that house had constructed a TRN.

I've seen that happening even without having a TRN though.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^Rampastein wrote:
Crimsonum wrote:
I've seen harvesters and APCs avoid enemy units and defenses after that house had constructed a TRN.

I've seen that happening even without having a TRN though.

AvoidThreats=yes in the team in AI.ini makes this happen.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dutchygamer wrote:
AvoidThreats=yes in the team in AI.ini makes this happen.

Yeah. I've also noticed my own harvesters (although not APCs) avoiding enemies sometimes. Like, I order my harv to move from point A to point B, and there's enemies between the two points, and the harvester decides to go some other way than the fastest one (even if I would order it multiple times). I'm not entirely certain if the usually fairly good pathfinding has just been stupid or if the harvester has really tried to use a safer route though.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But at the same time your Harvesters will sometimes decide to just drive into the middle of an enemy base though...

View user's profile Send private message ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bittah Commander wrote:
But at the same time your Harvesters will sometimes decide to just drive into the middle of an enemy base though...

True. I remember one case where my harvester would've survived if it had went to my base via the fastest route through enemy units (due to the enemies not having enough DPS for destroying it fast enough), but instead it took a longer route and got destroyed because the enemy units hunting it were faster than it was (and the enemy units got more time for shooting it before reaching my base).

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Set ThreatAvoidanceCoefficient=0 on the harv and it ignores enemies. Wink

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum