Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Taking sides
Moderators: Mig Eater
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [37 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject:  Taking sides Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With work on Hungary nearing completion my thoughts have wondered to other countries that could possibly be added to D-day. So I've dug through all my reference material to see what could be done & have come up with three possible additions to D-day. I've updated the unit list with info on these three new sides, but I doubt all the names & numbers mean much to most of you so here is a brief description of each of them. Click on the countries name to go directly to their section in the unit list

China:

People have been bugging me about adding China as a playable side for years & my stance has always been that they didn't have any of their own equipment & used a random assortment of units from other countries so they weren't feasible.

Well I decided to turn that from a negative to a positive view & have come up with a multi-branched tech tree that allows the player to pick & choose what countries they can "buy" units from. The unit list is split into three parts (Ground, Air & Heavy), at these points in the tech tree you can choose which countries units you'd like to use. So you could have British ground, German Air & Soviet heavy units, or you could have all three American etc.

I feel this set up best represents the fractal nature of China at the time & how different warlords had different equipment & so in-game different players can have different units. Post-war also benefits from this as depending on what tree you choose you can either play as PRC or the ROC forces in the Chinese civil war.

Some units of note are the Type 59 which will be known to anyone who plays World of Tanks #Tongue The P-40 Warhawk which was famously used by the American Flying Tigers. Also ROC F-86 Sabre's where the first aircraft to use homing air-to-air missiles while in combat with PRC Mig-15's.

Poland:

There has also been some interest in adding Poland in the past & while they produced many of their own armaments their defeat at the beginning of WW2 meant that development stopped. Unlike France which had many prototypes & projects which could be used, they don't have enough ground units to fill every time frame. With the idea of a multi-branched tech tree still fresh in my mind I decided to fill the gaps with Allied & Soviet Free Polish ground forces.

So in the Pre/Early-war time frames the units are all of Polish origin, in the Mid/Late-war periods you can either choose to use Allied or Soviet equipped Polish ground forces. However to make things interesting both have advantages & disadvantages.

Allied:
Pro.
Better anti-aircraft unit.
Mobile artillery.
Con.
Weaker Medium tanks.
No Heavy tanks.

Soviet:
Pro
Better Medium tanks.
Can use Heavy tanks.
Con.
Weak anti-aircraft unit.
Uses towed artillery that needs to be deployed to use.

In the Post-war period Poland came under the Soviet sphere of influence & built locally produced copies of Soviet equipment, so their ground forces are very similar to the Soviet unit list.

Unlike the ground forces the Polish air industry was quite active before the war designing several prototypes & concepts to fill the Mid/Late-war period. After the war they continued developing & building their own designs, so all of the aircraft are of Polish origin across all time frames.

Some units of note are the 25TP heavy tank project & the TS-11 Iskra which is still in use today!

Sweden:

Sweden, the greatest country to never fight in WW2... they have been neutral in all major conflicts for the past 200 years but to call their armed forces weak or insignificant because of this would be extremely wrong.

Even tho they tried to stay out of the conflict as much as possible they still prepared to fight if they had to. Swedish military spending drastically increased during WW2 to keep their military forces on par with other European nations. Some of their designs did see action tho, the Strv L-60 & L-62 were built in Hungary as the Toldi & Nimrod. Of course they also designed the famous Bofors 40mm which was used by nearly every country during WW2 & is still in use today!

So far no work has been done in D-day on these countries other than these preliminary unit lists. I first wanted to get some community feedback & see if there is any preference for a specific country or even if there is an objection to adding a new side, any & all thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finland!

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
Finland!

Romania!

Nah, I really like the approach you used here Mig. Smile Can't wait to play as China.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finland's one & only tank will make an appearance in D-day at some point, the same goes for Romania's three indigenous units too.

BTW just to point out that these three new contries arn't finalised, I might add all of them or none at all. I'm mearly thinking out loud etc to see what everyone thinks.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Orac
President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

New... Zealand?
..I guess the Septic Tank is already in.

In all seriousness, sounds great. But won't you require an additional two building sets in their own styles for this?

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes every country has/will get their own set of buildings. I feel like I've got the hang of making buildings in 3DS now, so they aren't any more labor intensive them making a large vxl etc.

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wonder when the game will collapse under all this content you add to it. #Tongue

Poland strong.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was hoping you'd post Speeder, now the usual response of; please add "insert the country I live in here" is on topic XP

IIRC Ares is limited to 32 new sides/countries, so there is still plenty of space for more! These 3 are really the last possible sides I could add tho. Everyone else would basically be copies of existing sides with the flags changed.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
I was hoping you'd post Speeder, now the usual response of; please add "insert the country I live in here" is on topic XP

Add Hun... oh wait. #Tongue

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about an African country?

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There weren't really any African "countries" at that time, just European colonies or puppet states etc. Which relied on their European backers for defense & had very little armaments of their own.

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I might be super forgetful right now, Australia?

Orac
President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ANZACs. We were pretty badass.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Canada, Australia, New Zeland, South Africa & India are already included as part of Great Britain.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Add Birmingham as it's own country because it's better than England... Or something.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and "Aro's Pub" as the armory&hospital. Smile

Public SHPs

Tools

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Surely it would be the seat of Birmingham's government.

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Make sub sub houses so players can choose individual towns and cities, then under that have sub sub sub houses where you can choose your street. Don't forget to make each individual street unique and different.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've done some work on the Chinese side, just coded the basic buildings & a few units. Mainly to see how the AI handles the multi-branched tech tree system & if it's actually feasible. So far it looks ok but I haven't added all the branches yet tho.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

China might be interesting, I just hope it doesn't make the other factions boring. #Tongue

Other ideas based on no historical knowledge of warfare:
British India (guess 'included' in GB like Australia etc)
Spain
Persia
Bulgaria
San Marino #Tongue

Would be nice I suppose to have some balance between Axis and Allied nations but I guess they were outnumbered.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As I mentioned before India is included as part of Britain.

Spain would be nice but they would have Pre-war German units in pretty much all time frames :/

Persia, aka Iran was occupied by Britain & the Soviets during WW2 & only had basic infantry weapons.

Bulgaria declared itself neutral at the start of WW2 then was pressured into joining the Axis. Then in 1944 as Soviet forces invaded they switched sides to the Allies. They could be added as a new side but would basically play as Germany with a different flag in most time frames.

San Marino... Umm ya, their ceremonial troops will pwn all!!!111!!

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What about Aussies? They could be a useful upgrade for Brits, providing Kangaroo APCs and Sentinel tanks?

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ethiopia under Selassie or China, the Chinese actually had an impact in the war versus Poland or Sweden.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Britain already has Kangaroo APCs and Sentinel tanks #Tongue

I'd still argue that Sweden played a bigger role in WW2 then China. But mainly because a large amount of the steel used in German armament production was bought from Sweden. The British tried very hard to stop Sweden selling materials to Germany, for example they bought Sweden's entire production of ball bearings just so the Germans couldn't get them!

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Regarding China, an idea popped up: There was also the Nanjing Government out there...so I suppose we could end up buying Japanese weapons as well?

I'd doubt you could buy German tanks there, unless pre-war, just sayin'.

Alex_wyc
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Regarding China, the KMT government did some fighting in the beginning, but then they essentially stopped fighting the japanese, the Nanjing gov. is a traitor organization that should belong to the japanese. However, the CCP, although not a government, did most of the fighting, although only at small scale.
I guess one approach maybe that the CCP can only produce soliders (which is true), but can claim tanks while the KMT gov. uses American hardware but doesn't fight the Japanese during the middle and late portion of WWII.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about introducing a crazy faction. e.g. the typical 50's movie martians with ridiculous looking vehicles and aircraft.
It would give this rather serious mod a bit of humor and loosens the strictness a bit.
Player can then still decide to not use this faction if it's too comical for them. But you would be free to add a lot more and different weapons and logics to the mod.
Maybe make this faction only available as a secret bonus, like the ants in RA1. Not sure how you would code that though.

The movie Mars Attacks could also give some inspiration for the vehicles and weapons as well as some nice unit voices "At atta at ta ta". Very Happy

Public SHPs

Tools

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have actually thought about adding a wacky/weird side but based on Nazi occult stuff, so UFO's & moon bases etc #Tongue

I thought a good way to keep it secret would be to make it only available via the random side selection. You'd still only have 1 in 10 chance of playing it then.

As much fun as it would be I'd rather finish all the more serious stuff first.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol, that would be surprising. Could also include experimental stuff as stolen tech.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
The movie Mars Attacks could also give some inspiration for the vehicles and weapons as well as some nice unit voices "At atta at ta ta". Very Happy

Jaff Wayne's War of the Worlds, 1998 PC game. ULLLA. (sadly couldn't figure out yet how to rip out it's sounds ;_; )

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Rico1946
Civilian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm still thinking if you could actually make the Netherlands forces

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only indigenous Dutch armored vehicle built during WW2 was the DAF Pantserwagen M39. Which is far from enough to make a playable side.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

could add a tulip throwing civilian instead of another vehicle, #Tongue
and caravans, scripted to move on German autobahn maps. Twisted Evil

Public SHPs

Tools

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As a resident of the Netherlands I take exception to such stereotypes... Besides cheese wheel throwing bicycle troops would be better #Tongue

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I second the idea of a sci-fi tropy factions. ^^ Also maybe a version of Yuri.  which might borrow a bit from the ironsky moon nazi's technology wise but maybe more base on his mythical occult rasputin inception can have some interesting faction elements.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I suggest another release first. #Tongue

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I already have an alpha version of a Sci-Fi Nazi side coded into D-day, mainly using Yuri gfx as place holders #Tongue

A release is coming, just don't ask me when...

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [37 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon