Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:11 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Die Verbotene Welt
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject:  Die Verbotene Welt Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last edited by OrangeNero on Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

blubb
General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i've been watching this for years now as it's in development....quite like 8 years now...but i agree...i'd love to play it.

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, that looks immense!

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@OrangeNero: wasn't there a bigger picture? Please remove it and link to it. It totally breaks PPM as you have to scroll several screens to the side to reply or edit posts.

It uses same 60x30 tile size for terrain as RA2. But looks million times better than the cartoonish WW/EA thing.
Really nice terrain and detailed art.

Is the engine open source? It would be great base for any new C&C project.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

freedom fighter
General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its gonna be freeware, not sure if it is easily moddable.

This looks awesome. The graphics looks awesome, it has a killer soundtrack, but the gameplay looks pretty slow and the anims are a bit clunky. Overall a nice throwback to the 90's Smile

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just read there
"engine will not be open source"
"it will be released with an editor" <- wasn't said for what exactly.

Not that good news, but maybe when they see the big C&C modding community and their need for a good customizable engine, they allow certain projects to develop the engine further.

Public SHPs

Tools

blubb
General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
just read there
"engine will not be open source"
"it will be released with an editor" <- wasn't said for what exactly.

Not that good news, but maybe when they see the big C&C modding community and their need for a good customizable engine, they allow certain projects to develop the engine further.

of course, thats why they spent 12 years of this game in it's development and had serious trouble to implement multiplayer and just now put in a "split screen" variant, i'm suuuuuure they take a look at our cnc modding community and develop it mod friendly, i really am.

Hydraw Art on Facebook

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They may allow modding it but giving away source code to whole engine is whole another thing publicly especially if you spent developing it from scratch like they did.

Besides, they are german, I'm sure LKO has chance to try influence exception case #Tongue

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:

Not that good news, but maybe when they see the big C&C modding community

Sorry, but I don't think it's that big anymore...

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:

and their need for a good customizable engine, they allow certain projects to develop the engine further.

In my opinion OpenRA is heading in the right direction. I'm aware it's not there yet, since some features like support for high quality audio or isometric perspective are missing, but considering they already have preliminary voxel support, I believe it is only a matter of time until they add features required for TS/RA2 implementations, and better mods in general. You should see the changelog of the next release, it's massive.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, if OpenRA gets to that point, it would great too.
Does OpenRA use the same file formats as C&C (SHP,TMP,AUD,MIX,INI,VXL,HVA etc)?

Public SHPs

Tools

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AFAIK, yes.  But with more pngs.

tomsons26lv
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
Well, if OpenRA gets to that point, it would great too.
Does OpenRA use the same file formats as C&C (SHP,TMP,AUD,MIX,INI,VXL,HVA etc)?

OpenRA uses unmodified WW assets with a few necessary modded assets, the UI uses png's but afaik it can use shp's as well,
the maps however are in its own format, it also supports VQA's.

It does use yaml but instead of ini's but they look very similar to ini's and can be edited with Notepad++(to keep original formatting).

As for voxels you can see some of the progress here
http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=16215&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
(Dynamic shadows and beautifully rendered voxels that look almost like sprites FTW)

Skype live:tomsons26
Don't forget to state who are you otherwise i'll ignore the invite

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh God the voxels are starting to look tasty there.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excuse me, but they look like crap without the normals.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thus they are like sprites (just less nice) and benefit of voxels is diminished without the lighting normals shifting.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still, the lack of the odd tearing and pixelation which seems to occur frequently in TS/RA2 voxels it's looking quite fine.  With proper normals, I would completely expect them to look better in OpenRA than in TS/RA2.  I already prefer the Kirov as shown in Sleipnir's latest screenshot.

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
Excuse me, but they look like crap without the normals.

That's because to my knowledge the OpenRA implementation uses proper shading instead of WW's crappy, limited, palette-tied normals approach.

Any properly textured voxel (like the Kirov) looks better than in RA2. It's just voxels that rely almost entirely on normals shading that look crappy.

And it's not like the code is final and can't be tweaked.

ApolloTD wrote:
Thus they are like sprites (just less nice) and benefit of voxels is diminished without the lighting normals shifting.

If you look closely at the Kirov's tail fins and at the flak truck you'll notice there actually is some shading. It's just very subtle (a bit too subtle, maybe), but mostly the voxels just look poor for the reasons I mentioned above.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WW's Kirov looks crappy by default. It's a mess. Arikado's is so much better.

Those tail fins are on the voxel.

I didn't said to limit OpenRA to the pallette-based approach, in fact, I'd so much see a dynamic rendering of the normals, but normals are needed, otherwise it'll look plain, no matter how you call it.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Orac
President

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I sure am glad that openRA is a work in progress.  That way we can look forward to new stuff, same as Die Verbotene Welt!

...see how I tied that back into the original topic? Very Happy

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:
I sure am glad that openRA is a work in progress.  That way we can look forward to new stuff, same as Die Verbotene Welt!

...see how I tied that back into the original topic? Very Happy

Yeah, the voxel discussion side-tracked the topic.

My original point was that the OpenRA engine is currently making progress at a pace that allows for some optimism, and unlike DVW's engine it is publicly available, free and open source by design.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum