Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:50 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Voxelgeddon: Concept Tick Tank [TS]
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [33 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject:  Voxelgeddon: Concept Tick Tank [TS]
Subject description: Hassan_2030's Entry - 3rd Place
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aro

Detail: 9/10
Best voxel tick tank remake I have seen. The shape, size, colour and texture are all perfect, there isn't too much, nor is there too little. There is very little I have to complain about but it is just out of reach of the perfect 10. The only thing I whave to say really is that I feel the barrels could do with being a tiny bit thicker.

In-Game Result: 9/10
Pretty much the same as above. Everything with this voxel falls into place very well in-game. Just the right amount of detail produces a really nice in-game result, despite the pixel thin barrels as already mentioned.

Creativity: 5/10
While the result is excellent, it is not a creative result. Tick Tanks have been done before countless times and it's sadly nothing new or original, however, the amount of work you've put into it raelly does shine and easily holds the trophy of one of the best Tick Tank remakes for TS.

Overall - 23/30

All in all, the in-game result is what counts the most, right? Well, it certainly does for this voxel. I'd recommend any TS modder to use this as their Tick Tank replacement, since it couldn't really work for much else, which is it's only real downfall.

Morpher

Detail: 8/10
The Tick Tank here is well shaped and sized, it's not overcrowded with details but has it where it counts with a good overall texture and attention to detail. Very little wrong with the method of design here.

In-game Result: 9/10
I can't argue with the in-game appearance of this voxel, it's identifiable at pretty much every angle and has no errors.

Creativity: 4/10
Unfortunately, this voxel falls down on the fact it's an identical remake of Tick Tank concept art (but a bloody good one), which simply means there has been no originality displayed here, however Hassan has done every trick in the book to make sure this performs well in-game and out of the game, whilst it's a copy it doesn't make it particularly easy to pull off well.

Overall - 21/30

I really like this voxel, it's a shame that in order for it to be as good as it is it's required to be a copy of concept art, thus losing a few points.

OmegaBolt

Detail: 8/10
The detailing is rather nice on this Tick Tank remake. It has plenty of subtle colour grading, making the edges smooth, especially between the grey hull and remap. The treads also have some great texturing and if you flip it over the underneath looks great too! The overall shape is rather well made.
Perhaps the underside looks too good though, that texture style could've been copied over the topside and made the grey a lot more interesting.

Ingame Results: 7/10
It looks very clean and smooth but perhaps with more colour variation and highlighting parts of it could stand out better, such as the turret. This will probably make it's way into many TS mods to come.

Creativity: 5/10
Well this is just a remake of the Tick Tank, albeit a nice one. I like the little details as mentioned though.

Overall - 20/30

Total - 64/90

_Hassan_2030 - Concept Tick Tank TS.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  _Hassan_2030 - Concept Tick Tank TS.rar
 Filesize:  2.58 MB
 Downloaded:  495 Time(s)

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will definitively use this for something!

PPM Halloween Season 2021

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This should have gotten a very low score since there isn't a turret and deploy and so on. The entire tick feature is missing and makes the unit worthless. It wasn't double barreled in the concept either, one was a long tank gun the other some shorter machinegun.

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah yes I forgot to mention as drawback that this tank has not turret.

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
deploy and so on

Not a SHP building contest though, this has been judged as a voxel for what it is, a voxel that had full SHP features.

Quote:
It wasn't double barreled in the concept either, one was a long tank gun the other some shorter machinegun.

Something that's based on a concept doesn't necessarily need to follow it 100%, perhaps in the artists eyes two barrels.

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

with one of the barrels disappearing when deployed.
All that said the voxel itself does look good. The choice however was terrible as he didn't complete the unit. Could this be Hassan's second tick tank? I think I recall another one made by him, could be wrong tough. That one didn't had the deploy stuff either.

Hassan_2030
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you really want to know it?
This is my 5th tick tank voxel.
I did five different ones and
this one is my best and no I
never did the deploy animation
for even one them, because
I am good with voxels, but not
with shps!!! The few deployed
versions of my voxels were made
by superjoe and tiberianfuture,
not me!!! And my interpretation
of the concept is a tick with two
guns and no autocannon sorry!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If the lack of a deployed version really disturbs you so much, you could also use it as a generic light tank or something. Nothing is limiting the voxel's uses to being a WW-style tick tank. The voxel itself is great and fits very well for TS.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An ace Tick Tank remake. The turret could be more distinguishable from the body at some angles, though.

OrangeNero wrote:
The choice however was terrible as he didn't complete the unit.

I don't know why you're complaining as this was strictly a voxel competition, where each participant was denied to send any additional material. Deployed SHP frames were never expected from anyone. Besides, it's up to the downloader how he/she wishes to use the voxel.

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What is it with people being so stupid these days?

This is a voxel competition, and the voxel is either a unit or an asset (missile or whatever). This voxel is part of a unit, the SHP go hand in hand with the unit. This voxel is never going to be used because of 75% of the art files are missing. Even worse he didn't think of or cared about creating a turret voxel which is an absolute must and within his capabilities. The unit is incomplete and any submission that is a unit has to come with all the files or else its an unfinished job regardless of some assets not being a voxel.

Whats next someone doing a titan remake and only submitting a barrel that doesn't fit to the rest of the unit? Someone doing a walker without walking animations?

@crimsonum oh really you don't know why I complain? maybe think for 1 second about what I wrote instead of assuming that I am just talking him down without reason? Hassan is a highly capable voxel artist and I adore some of his works, mainly the HTK. I had to point these flaws out since none of the judges said anything about this.

@Rampastein

I write up why this unit is highly limited in use and can not be used as what it is intended to and then you go and say "Nothing is limiting the voxel's uses to being a WW-style tick tank"?????????? Hey how about all those art files missing?

@Hassan

No worries and no need to apologize. It didn't do any harm to submit your work, infact I am glad you did, the more the merrier and hopefully you ain't disencouraged to participate in the next comp. Your voxel is good, tremendous actually. As said its just the unit as a whole. You really should however update with a turret. And if you can't make SHP then maybe choose a voxel only unit?I pointed out the incorrect look with the concept because its name is Concept Tick Tank, none of the judges pointed that out either.

Last edited by OrangeNero on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're overreacting.

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aro wrote:
You're overreacting.

Quote:
All in all, the in-game result is what counts the most, right?

maybe, for some for sure.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's a voxel competition, not an SHP competition. The voxel is what matters, not a build-up or a structure. As already mentioned by some, it doesn't have to be used as a deploying unit, that's just personal preference, it can be used as anything. Comprendé?

Last edited by Aro on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its a voxel (and to some degree a voxel unit) competition with his submission being a voxel unit that needs SHP files and a vxl turret to function. The unit is what matters. A Tick Tank has to be a Tick tank.
Put it into TI as an aircraft if you want. I couldn't care less. Or even better, as a Light tank that can't Tick but looks like a Tick Tank, wouldn't know whats worse.

Get some rest and take it easy.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It doesn't need anything, in a voxel competition, the voxel matters. In a mod, the unit itself would matter. Do you even know what you're talking about?

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Real modders and real men actually make SHP turrets for their structures. Anyway, it has been judged properly it's about voxel quality and appearance not its lore function ingame, this is like me disqualifying the Ion Cannon Tank because it's not technically possible to recreate that weapon in a horizontal fashion suited for a unit. Cheer up Nero!  Smile

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I suspect that you guys don't read my full posts and then reply. Do you know what I write?

I see no point in further discussing this. At least not until the ones texting with me actually read.

Yup Cheer up everyone, lots of quality voxels have come up. A good day for modding and ppm. Smile

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

People are reading your posts, I think you're not understanding what some of the other posters in this thread are trying to convey to you, I'll try and simplify things so that there's no more need for arguing or debate and that everybody is on the same page in the great booklet of PPM.

OrangeNero wrote:
This should have gotten a very low score since there isn't a turret and deploy and so on.

This unit should not have received a lower score in Voxelgeddon 2013 as additional none vxl/hva files do not get included in the judging process and criteria of scoring, the competition judging is based on the voxel. It is probable you have misunderstood the ingame appearance section which focuses on how well the voxel appears ingame, issues such as; pink dots and blurry textures lower the score, whereas qualities such as; easy identification, clear shape and good remap locations help to improve points in this area. I'd like to just stress the point that additional none vxl/hva files have no impact on the scores.

OrangeNero wrote:
The entire tick feature is missing and makes the unit worthless.

Nobody is arguing your point that this unit is indeed much less useable as only 50% of its functional artwork exists, the part of its artwork that does exist though happens to be in vxl/hva format and was entered into a competition called Voxelgeddon 2013 which judges voxels based on their appearance, and it was judged in a similar fashion to an artwork competition. Really, a little bit of clever thinking and some well trained reading skills alongside a set of steely calm nerves could have prevented such a drawn out argument and upset of moods.

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok cool we both agree that you judge this as a voxel, a voxel solely and only. While I judge it as a Concept Tick Tank.

carry on folks.

No wait I actually can't agree on the first point as the judges themself talk about various submissions usability ingame, refer to it as a unit sometimes. Like it or not but the implication that its about voxel units is omnipresent. As for example the Yurified ATT is a lot judged by stuff that has nothing to do with a voxel and more with a unit ultimately with OmegaBolt refering to the submision as a unit and not a voxel.

You guys need to be cautious then. You guys have so often implied that its a voxel comp with a unit or a usable asset in mind that your position of "only a voxel" isn't the impression sent out. And in all honesty its absolutely silly, it is a unit, consisting of a voxel.

I just made things worse didn't I? feel free to split and crap and lock. It would be best, for the community I guess.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IMO this will probably work ok with the original buildup anyway.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just because it was based on a tick tank, it doesn't mean that it can't be used for something else, that's the whole point of usability; It's a good looking tank, as a tick tank, or as a light tank, or as a heavy tank, or as a battering ram or as anything else.Your usability argument is still pointless. Rolling Eyes

You go on about people not reading your posts, but did you even read Morpher's?

Morpher wrote:
Nobody is arguing your point that this unit is indeed much less useable as only 50% of its functional artwork exists, the part of its artwork that does exist though happens to be in vxl/hva format and was entered into a competition called Voxelgeddon 2013 which judges voxels based on their appearance, and it was judged in a similar fashion to an artwork competition. Really, a little bit of clever thinking and some well trained reading skills alongside a set of steely calm nerves could have prevented such a drawn out argument and upset of moods.

I understand what you're trying to say, but you're missing the point entirely. The ATT argument for example, you're missing the point there again. That doesn't have much usability because it's shape (which was a factor in judging) doesn't give it many opportunities to be something more practical (as far as RA2 units go). There isn't much something like that could be used for, other than a Yuri Robot tank of some kind, right? Whereas this voxel has more windows of opportunity open for it's usability. Just because it's been created under the name "Tick Tank" it doesn't mean it has to be...

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OrangeNero wrote:
What is it with people being so stupid these days?

Hahahaha! New quote for my signature. Very Happy

Regarding turret of unit. OrangeNero, if you want to use it I can separate turret from body I suppose.

Guys, just for curiosity. is it counted less if unit does not have separate turret (which should, like in this case), or voxel receives same points without turret in judging? Same tanks, one has built in turret, second has separated turret. Who gets more points?

Orac
President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ztype it, I'll make a deploy state for this when I have the time.

This is one of the nicest Tick Tank remakes the community has seen.  Good stuff, Hassan.

DarkVen9109
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not a bad remake for Tick Tank and in fact. I like this one more than the WW version of Tick Tank. If I were to rate this overall 22/30. The Render is not bad at all, second of all, smoothening of voxels isn't bad also, so not that bad at all. I might even have a use for this in the Tiberian Outbreak mod.

Voxel Downloaded

Alex06
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I never thought you could actually get such an amazing amount of detail out of a TS voxel. I'm impressed. Should've won 1st place.

Astral
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IMO this vxl should be winner of competition. It's very usable and non-epic. You can use this as another tank, not only Tick Tank. Even when this vxl is very small, it has good details. And I'm disagreed with so-called "Originality". Remakes of old units (just like this) can be very original too. I'm impressed, Hassan. Your vxl is the best here. Only 1st place.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It basically lost points on creativity, which is fair since it's a Tick Tank.  Nobody is debating the quality of the asset.

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only reason it lost out on creativity / originality was the fact it's a 90% copy of the concept art, minus some edits to the barrels which I personally prefer as giving the Tick Tank a machine gun would take away some of the role of the Attack Buggy. However I do think the overall quality of the voxel is excellent as reflected in my results. If it's possible, I'd really love to see Hassan release the rest of the Nod arsenal in this style and quality.

Alex06
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Morpher wrote:
If it's possible, I'd really love to see Hassan release the rest of the Nod arsenal in this style and quality.

As would I!

Perhaps he could even remake the GDI arsenal if he wanted.

blubb
General

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OrangeNero wrote:
This should have gotten a very low score since there isn't a turret and deploy and so on. The entire tick feature is missing and makes the unit worthless. It wasn't double barreled in the concept either, one was a long tank gun the other some shorter machinegun.

wrong, this is a differen't concept where it had actually identical big double barrels.

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gawd I'd wish this one has dig in/deploy anim

best tick tank ever

how did we end up here ?

this place is horrible ...

smells like balls ...

NimoStar
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
his is like me disqualifying the Ion Cannon Tank because it's not technically possible to recreate that weapon in a horizontal fashion suited for a unit.

In fact it is possible to make a units that calls an Ion Strike, I can show you if you want (?)

mevitar
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But nobody mentioned a unit that calls in an Ion Strike (which, btw, has already been done many times, and i think Morpher knows how to make such thing anyway).

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [33 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!