Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:50 am
All times are UTC + 0
Adding text strings to your map (**)
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject:  Adding text strings to your map (**) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This tutorial requires basic knowledge of Triggers

First, you will need to use the game's respective text string file. For Tiberian Sun, it's called "tutorial.ini", for RA2(YR) it's called ra2(md).csf. If you extract it, you'll recognize all of the text strings you've seen from playing the singleplayer in those games.

Next you'll need to open up the FinalSun trigger editor. Create a "New Action" and select "11 Text Trigger...", and under Parameter Value you'll see all of the text strings within the tutorial.ini/ra2(md).csf file. Simply select the one you want, and it will display that text line when the trigger is fired.

-You'll notice each string is attached to a number; this is how Final Sun finds & assigns them. Use the original text as a reference for how long each line of should be. Notice that many strings take up more than just one line. You can add as many text strings as you want to a single trigger. Just remember that the text will disappear after a few seconds, so if you have a buttload of text for the player, you should use more than one text trigger to feed in slow enough to read.

-Remember, anything that can initiate a trigger can initiate a text string; Cell Tags, Locals, Elapsed Time, etc. so get creative!
You can loop a trigger with random delay to create "mission reminder" text.

Key Words: #Tutorials #Mapping #TiberianSun #Firestorm #FinalSun #Tutorial.INI 

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very important to mention to people making their own text triggers, the last text entry in tutorial.ini is not read and won't get displayed so make sure you have a fake / dummy entry at the end of the list, something like this:

Code:

502=Attack the outpost!
500=Defend the outpost!
501=Nothing

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

502, 500, 501.. is that how they count in Australia? #Tongue

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Last edited by Team Black on Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

HuskerSix
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's great, thanks alot! If I've created my own text triggers, do I just put the tutorial.ini file into my TS folder?

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Morpher wrote:
Very important to mention to people making their own text triggers, the last text entry in tutorial.ini is not read and won't get displayed so make sure you have a fake / dummy entry at the end of the list, something like this:

Do you have an empty line (or a few) in the INI after the last text entry? As far as I know the last entry will be read if there are a couple of empty lines after it in Tutorial.ini.

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nope, I use clean tutorial.ini's and have always encountered this error unfortunately, I've also seen a lot of forum posts in the past from users saying their new text messages weren't working which I always put down to the weird last entry issue I got. Could always be related to some other tutorial or tutorial01.ini lurking around in some hidden mixes.

Iran
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CCHyper should add support for embedding strings in a map file itself, instead of requiring modifying tutorial.ini.

Agent Z
AA Infantry

Location: LocationNotFoundException at RealLife.Location.find() at line: -1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Im not really TS mappper, but as I noticed that when you make too many new strings, (at least in ra2) the ones that are alphabeticaly/by number at the bottom, will not fit on the editor list.

In other words, I think the list of available text strings in finalsun/alert 2 is somehow limited. But the strings can be manually typed in and will work.
Not sure if this applies to Finalsun, but it does for Final alert 2.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Morpher:
Simply leaving 2 empty lines seems enough for me. These are the last entries in DTA's Tutorial.ini file...
Code:
924=Relocating human players, stand by...
925=Press N on your keyboard to find your MCV.
926=To form an alliance, select a unit or structure of another human player and press A on your keyboard.

...and the proof of the fact this works is in the gif animation I made:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Morpher
General

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess I had some influences from internal files then perhaps? I know it never used to work for me until I added false entries, I doubt a space at the back of the file would really do anything.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bittah, you are a genius.

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is FSData.ini for anyone to take to use to make the TS Text trigger works.

FSData.ini
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  FSData.ini
 Filesize:  33.3 KB
 Downloaded:  56 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon