Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:52 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Grand Campaign Competition II is live!
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 3 [132 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Tore
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Grand Campaign Competition II is live! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nyerguds wrote:
Team Black wrote:

- The ONLY files that will be accepted are .map, mission.ini, and tutorial.ini.

That'll be tough, seeing as C&C1's maps are .ini/.bin pairs, with the bin containing the basic terrain, and the ini containing everything on it and the scripting / briefing / name / etc.

Aren't RA1 singleplayer maps ini files as well? Not sure if they have a bin.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Plus RA2/YR uses ra2(md).csf for text stuff. #Tongue

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aight I updated the rules about the text string files - people should know which files contain the text strings to their chosen game, and if they don't, they probably shouldn't be trying to use text strings in the first place!. Thanks again for the input errbody

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm thrill for this competition.

Allen
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Grand Campaign Competition II is live! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tore wrote:
Nyerguds wrote:
Team Black wrote:

- The ONLY files that will be accepted are .map, mission.ini, and tutorial.ini.

That'll be tough, seeing as C&C1's maps are .ini/.bin pairs, with the bin containing the basic terrain, and the ini containing everything on it and the scripting / briefing / name / etc.

Aren't RA1 singleplayer maps ini files as well? Not sure if they have a bin.

RA1 only use .ini fromat for maps.

C&C in RA-1 Get it here
http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30101 100+ Single Player Missions! Now playable on CnCNet 5!

Agent Z
AA Infantry

Location: LocationNotFoundException at RealLife.Location.find() at line: -1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hope no one mind if I post a idea:
How about letting the judges individually Guess who made the map After the judging is all done and points are set?
I got this idea suddenly today morning, and thought that it would be interesting (and a bit fun to read)...

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It would also prevent any bias if the maps were sent to the judges anonymously. #Tongue

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Z wrote:
How about letting the judges individually Guess who made the map After the judging is all done and points are set?

That might be a fun idea.. I think I just might do that #Tongue

The Team Black Index

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, I'm up for it. #Tongue

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
DarkVen9109
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion will have the advantage of knowing who made the map already unless he's a judge.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GD is the recipient, anonymizer, and optional bug tester

The Team Black Index

Agent Z
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Black wrote:
Z wrote:

That might be a fun idea.. I think I just might do that :P

You could not tell the judges who made the maps until the results are posted, and post the guesses next to the scores.
It would also be nice if they said why they guess so(Probably no one cares).

Oh and I forgot a question. This is probably a very stupid one; When the map is done, how (which buttons do I klick) to send/submit the map?
Sorry but im still a bit new here and don't know how the forum works.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Below every post others make, there is a Send PM button.

Search a post of mine out, click on it, attach your map and co. on that new post-alike interface, write some info along with it and wait 'til I respond that I got it.

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Agent Z wrote:
It would also be nice if they said why they guess so(Probably no one cares).

I wouldn't overcomplicate this. It looks like we might be already getting quite a big workload from the submitted maps #Tongue

Agent Z
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
Below every post others make, there is a Send PM button.

Search a post of mine out, click on it, attach your map and co. on that new post-alike interface, write some info along with it and wait 'til I respond that I got it.

Thank you now I get it. I suspect PM stands for "Private Message" in this case?
I think I know everything I need to know now so I won't post any more stupid questions unless absolutely necessary.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no worries we were all forum newbies once

The Team Black Index

Agent Z
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK this time its not a stupid question (I totaly forgot such a imporant thing):
Do we have to have 3 difficulty levels? Or is 1 sufficent?

HuskerSix
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all. I saw this competition by chance while looking for some C&C3 maps and thought I'd give it a try. I used to be on here as "Othalla" a long time ago; back when the Open Map Competition 3 took place. Back then names like Wes.com, Python, TheDvD & Clazzy where always in the forums; are any of these guys still around? Glad to see the community is still alive and doing this sort of thing.

Will all the entries be available to download after the competition? Looking forward to playing some new TS single player missions!

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ofcourse they will be. All maps submitted will be posted for public consumption along with the results they achieve.

=======================

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HuskerSix wrote:
Back then names like Wes.com, Python, TheDvD & Clazzy where always in the forums; are any of these guys still around?

Wes.com still shows up occasionally though I haven't seen him lately. Python and DvD don't get on very often especially since Tibweb (which used to be Tumsun) kicked the bucket. Clazzy I believe still comes around occasionally as well. but none of them are on all that often. Think I saw Clazzy logged in just last week for that matter though.

Anyways welcome back. I'm sure you'll find lots of fan made maps to enjoy since you last visited here as well.

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Agent Z wrote:
OK this time its not a stupid question (I totaly forgot such a imporant thing):
Do we have to have 3 difficulty levels? Or is 1 sufficent?

In my opinion all three. That makes your mission suitable for people who are experienced or inexperienced.
I'll play it on easy first, then medium, then hard.

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not required to have 3 difficulty levels, altough implememnting them is definitely a way to show thought & effort in the map

The Team Black Index

[TiberianFuture]
Scrin Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Considering the difficulty settings in the triggers don't work (at least in TS), it's kinda hard to implement them.

Ladder wars vs. bikeRushOwnz.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's still doable by editing the AI for the maps (especially keys like TeamDelays) and the [Easy], [Normal] and [Hard] sections. It does require more knowledge of the game engine than only mapping can give, however.

Agent Z
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[TiberianFuture] wrote:
Considering the difficulty settings in the triggers don't work (at least in TS), it's kinda hard to implement them.

I tested and they work in RA2 (YR at least).

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Custom AI Triggers are also part of singleplayer mapping, but in a more advanced stage.

Difficulty in TS does not work.
Difficulty in RA2/YR does work.

/ppm/'s stupidity

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Remember that we're judging relative to the capability of the game engine, so the more the engine can do, the more we'll expect out of the individual maps

The Team Black Index

HuskerSix
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now I remember why I only made multi-player maps in the past. I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew here. My head hurts, haha.

Does creating your own text messages break contest rules? If not can someone direct me to the appropriate tutorial for doing that, thanks.

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are talking about text messages in the topleft?
Strings for RA2/YR  and tutorial.ini text in TS/FS?

You won't break the rules using those, in fact it's a recommended addition to your mission!

/ppm/'s stupidity

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Husker wrote:
If not can someone direct me to the appropriate tutorial for doing that, thanks.

Here ya go, buddy! fresh outta the oven

The Team Black Index

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Two more prizes added:
-Batman: Arkham Asylum (Game of the Year)
-The Lord of the Rings: War in the North

The Team Black Index

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aro wrote:
Yes, but they're controlled via ra2(md).csf. It is RA2's version of TS's tutorial.ini, so to speak.

Honestly, not a clue how that works. C&C1 missions are completely self-contained and ready to go with only the mission's own ini and bin file.

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so with 2/3 of a map detailed it's about time for me to stop... (no seriously this is about my stopping point on 90% of WIPs in the past 3 years)

that being said...how is everyone else fairing and who actually is planning to enter and started? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm considering entering, but my forte is triggers, not good map layouts or mission designs #Tongue

Agent Z
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I suppose its better to try and fail than not try at all...

Ixith wrote:
so with 2/3 of a map detailed it's about time for me to stop...

Looks like the great monster called lazyness has attacked your map.
Its the worst enemy of a mapper these days. Just think of wasting all that work detailing those 2/3 because of it.

[TiberianFuture]
Scrin Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm about 40% done. Reached the point where I should script the enemy attacks.
It's tedious and boring and I haven't done anything in two weeks... :/

Ladder wars vs. bikeRushOwnz.

HuskerSix
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I lost track of how many hours I've put into mine. Done 60% of the map itself and what seems like a lot of trigger work, but I know it's nothing compared to what I have left to do. With my xbox one coming tomorrow I doubt the map will get finished; which is a shame considering the time I've put in so far.

If I wasn't having to learn all my triggering as I go along, I would probably stick it out and finish it, but it's so frustrating looking for and learning a new tutorial every time I want to add things I've never used before.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if you've got questions, I (and the other mappers) will be happy to give you advice, tutorial, whatever you need. Just say the word!

The Team Black Index

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm like 40% - 50% done. I kept on thinking of restarting the mission again.  Sad

HuskerSix
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team Black wrote:
if you've got questions, I (and the other mappers) will be happy to give you advice, tutorial, whatever you need. Just say the word!

Thanks, I appreciate it. Got a bit more time than I thought to tinker with the map since my friggin' xbox hasn't turned up yet. Made a big push to get the terrain done today. I'm fairly confident I've done 95-98% of all my terrain work. Just random rocks and fauna now... fun...  Rolling Eyes

Which does lead me to a general question about peoples methods and styles when mapping. I like to get a good sized piece of paper and draw a basic outline of what I want to do with the map before I start anything else. In the case of this single player mission I wrote down my primary objectives first as well as I find it helps with how you lay the map out. Once I start the terrain work I get most of my cliffs done first, then roads and water. After that its cliffs for the more specific areas which completes the actual layout of the map. I tend to jump between everything from there. Always leave rocks and fauna till last. I do have a tendency to put too many buildings down before I've done my terrain work though, which lags like hell... What about everyone else? What's your method for mapping?

Agent Z
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I personally prefer to:

1. Think some general idea of how I like the map to be, and which side will be player.
No set plan what it exactly will look like.

2. Make some general terrain in only a corner/ tiny part of the map. Often have to retry multiple times to get what I want.

3. Build on from there, making stuff up underway, and creating the general path/area to the objectives/bases/battlefields.

4. Once whole map is filled with terrain, and I decided some general bases areas, I would put trees and civilian stuff.

5. Create some starting units, and start placing lots of enemies where I see fit, at this stage I think of the first objectives.

6. Once all enemies are placed and patrols/bases/guards are made, I start making triggers for the singleplayer part.

So in short: I just need to start, then it all comes by itself as I make the map.
Works simlar as me building LEGO.
I just put some bricks together on some wheels or something, then I just keep building, and it practicaly builds itself,
whithout me really having to think so much about it. (And usually I put tons of weapons on it too, whatever the object is.)
No planning.
Not very systematic, but gives great results. I rarerly have any idea what it will turn into in the end.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's def good to sketch it all out on paper. Keeps thoughts organized, and especially if you wake up in the middle of the night and think of something crazy

The Team Black Index

HuskerSix
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a couple of questions regarding compatibility of maps with other players/judges. I'm adding voice triggers to my map but as explained in this tutorial there are errors in what numbers play what sounds. I'm just wondering how many people have used the fix also mentioned here and will that effect what the judges hear when playing my map. Or will all judges be required to use clean installs for each game?

Also, does anyone know if the unofficial patch 1.03 for TFD will affect anything regarding the compatibility of my map for other players?

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The judges will be using clean installs, but that doesn't mean you can't still fix the sounds. If you just renumber the sounds in sound01.ini without changing the order anywhere, it should be fine.

While FinalSun displays the numbers that are entered in index lists, the game itself actually ignores these and only cares about the fact that whatever is entered before the = is unique and about the order, which is why this issue exists in the first place.
So even if you'd change the numbers in the index list to something like this:
Code:
5=FIRSTRM1;Firestorm defense burning
7=FACBLD1;<FACTORY>
1=ION1;Ion cannon strike
A=PLSECAN2;<PULSE>
G=METEOR1;LARGE METEOR
8=METEOR2;SMALL METEOR
2=METHIT1;METEOR HITS GROUND
Z=ICBM1;BIG, HUGE, ICBM ROCKET

...the game would still interpret this list as this:
Code:
0=FIRSTRM1;Firestorm defense burning
1=FACBLD1;<FACTORY>
2=ION1;Ion cannon strike
3=PLSECAN2;<PULSE>
4=METEOR1;LARGE METEOR
5=METEOR2;SMALL METEOR
6=METHIT1;METEOR HITS GROUND
7=ICBM1;BIG, HUGE, ICBM ROCKET

So changing the numbers won't make a difference for compatibility at all (except for possibly online games, but those aren't relevant now anyhow); just make sure the order of the list remains the same and that you don't repeat any number before the = twice, because the game will ignore one of them otherwise.

View user's profile Send private message ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
HuskerSix
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's great to hear, thanks a alot!

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now that OpenRA supports scripting using Lua will contestants also be allowed to participate here with missions for it?

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, I had a feeling this might come up.. I think this particular competition is too far along to incorporate OpenRA into it..
However, if we had another competition at a later date specifically for OpenRA, it would give the project a nice promo boost

The Team Black Index

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah well the Lua feature probably also needs to mature a bit and we currently lack documentation.

Agent Z
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do I have to make a scorescreen text at the end, showing time and partime?
I was wondering if that counts as part of the mission.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No need for that IMO.

=======================

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 3 [132 Posts] Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!