Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:46 am
All times are UTC + 0
[QST\REQ] Droppods
Moderators: Ares Support Team at PPM, Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [30 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

Also Known As: ZivDero

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject:  [QST\REQ] Droppods
Subject description: Making droppods min rad. Possible?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is it possible to make droppods in RA2 not using alternate methods but using the method TS used to use instead? Is this isn't possible - you can consider a request to fix TS droppods along with veinholes and waste facilities and chemical missiles. Thts why I put this in Ares section.

What in the name of insanity is this? I FRICKING LOVE THIS LOGICCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOHEEAWWWWWWWWWWWYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW PEW PEW PEW PEW BOOM BOOM BOOM!! Nice I love this!!!! Ferriswheel bomb, Dive bomb. New Logic discovered thanks to Kenosis Very Happy

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So it's either a tut on how to enable TS-style droppods, or else a request to recreate all kinds of TS logic into RA2. Rather hefty request (if not already requested a 1000 times before).

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: [QST\REQ] Droppods Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Parasite03 wrote:
Is it possible to make droppods in RA2 not using alternate methods but using the method TS used to use instead? Is this isn't possible - you can consider a request to fix TS droppods along with veinholes and waste facilities and chemical missiles. Thts why I put this in Ares section.

Goddamnit, it's long known Vein's will not be touched.
And no, it if lol, dyslectic not possible to have Droppods like in TS, because it's partially reworked in paradrop in YR.

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Parasite03 wrote:
you can consider a request to fix TS droppods along with veinholes and waste facilities and chemical missiles. Thts why I put this in Ares section.

parasite, did you notice this thread?
http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36716

Request it here, so AlexB and others can keep tracking easier whose requested what.

But I am with you, I would also like too see veinholes, but I do not think AlexB will touch this. That job is pain in ass to implement.

PPM Halloween Season 2021

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Plus who is really going to use it besides the very few TS-to-YR mods out there? To be used extensively it would require big map edits or whole new maps being made using the feature, which I honestly doubt would ever happen in the amount needed to be a) worth coding for Alex and b) gameplay changing for mods.

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Agreed that Droppods are pointless because of paradrops;

Disagree that there aren't multiple uses for TerrainType growth logic (a.k.a. veins). (even if they're never touched)

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4StarGeneral wrote:
Disagree that there aren't multiple uses for overlay #Tongue growth logic (a.k.a. veins). (even if they're never touched)

This ^. The entire Vein logic only applies to Tiberian Sun / Tib universe.
Only mod which would benefit is Rewire. Not that cost-effective...

As for the Droppods, if there were no workarounds, I'd say; take a look at it. But there is atleast 1 good workaround with Ares (custom SW) that allows you to use Droppods.

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RP wrote:
The entire Vein logic only applies to Tiberian Sun / Tib universe.
Only mod which would benefit is Rewire. Not that cost-effective...

I am interested only in Veins-Waste Facility link.
Idea of collecting resourse for something other than money probably may find a use. espesialy if you could select a bonus it give to you on full silo, like for example:
Chem Missle SW if enough veins harvested.
Power output boost, if enough uranium (harmfull type of ore) harvested.
Revival enemy radar if enough enemy men captured (abductor logic)
Prerequisite overrider if enough of hot chocolate milk harvested, wtf.
etc

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
That job is pain in ass to implement.

Wasnt it implemented in pd's RockPatch? Why couldnt he see his old code and write new one off it? It's not originally NPatch's feature, so veinholes are not affected by his words about not doing anything that VK did for NPatch!

What in the name of insanity is this? I FRICKING LOVE THIS LOGICCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOHEEAWWWWWWWWWWWYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW PEW PEW PEW PEW BOOM BOOM BOOM!! Nice I love this!!!! Ferriswheel bomb, Dive bomb. New Logic discovered thanks to Kenosis Very Happy

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Parasite03 wrote:
Quote:
That job is pain in ass to implement.

Wasnt it implemented in pd's RockPatch? Why couldnt he see his old code and write new one off it? It's not originally NPatch's feature, so veinholes are not affected by his words about not doing anything that VK did for NPatch!

if it was then look at the doc that came with it and follow the info there

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pd didn't make veins work, VK did experimentally but was very buggy and woulda needed much more work.

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, my bad. I always mess something =)

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Parasite03, Very Happy

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, why are Veins so hard to implement? Just wondering.

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Generally: There are leftovers in YR, and bits and pieces are missing. To know what is missing I first have to understand how the logic works, then compare. This takes time. Writing the code doesn't.

It's hard to not miss minor nuances of a logic or things that were changed. For example, Visceroids retreat to the closest Tiberium field when damaged badly. This is missing from YR, and I didn't see it in time for 0.5.

In this special case: Tiberium growing and Veins use a similarily complex mechanism, but they are unexplored atm. The only estimation I can give from complex and unexplored is: more likely difficult than easy.

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlexB wrote:
For example, Visceroids retreat to the closest Tiberium field when damaged badly. This is missing from YR, and I didn't see it in time for 0.5.

Hey, this is the first time that I hear for this!
So visceroids actually have some special checking range of nearest tiberium patch, if they are on red health right?
Only neutral visceroid or AI's and human controlled ones do that?

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlexB wrote:
Generally: There are leftovers in YR, and bits and pieces are missing. To know what is missing I first have to understand how the logic works, then compare. This takes time. Writing the code doesn't.

It's hard to not miss minor nuances of a logic or things that were changed. For example, Visceroids retreat to the closest Tiberium field when damaged badly. This is missing from YR, and I didn't see it in time for 0.5.

In this special case: Tiberium growing and Veins use a similarily complex mechanism, but they are unexplored atm. The only estimation I can give from complex and unexplored is: more likely difficult than easy.

Thanks for giving some insight Smile

Droke
Scorpion Sniper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlexB, do you plan to implement the Visceroid retreat logic? If so, would be you willing expand it to a tag that works on other types of units as well? I would have use for this in my project.

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Droke wrote:
AlexB, do you plan to implement the Visceroid retreat logic? If so, would be you willing expand it to a tag that works on other types of units as well? I would have use for this in my project.

I could see some use of the retreat logic as well as it being expanded to not just visceroids. Maybe D-Day can find use in it as in D-Day Ore is replaced with supply crates. (Units running back to resupply)

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't want to derail the topic, so I'll keep it short: In TS the retreat logic is only applied in a function specific to Visceroids. I haven't found the function that looks for Tiberium as the TS-Visceroid does, but I think I could use another function serving a similar purpose. Then, I'd just have to make it a versatile function (like I already did with Visceroid creation, which could support different Visceroid types already, and which I planned to use with StrongGas particle systems).

Parasite03: Is this request about TeamTypes being able to "drop in" like in TS using the DropPods=yes tag from there? Or is this something different? As it has been said already, the Drop Pod system has been replaced by aircraft paradropping stuff, so it would be a completely new logic. The TeamTypes aren't expanded yet by Ares, so this would take a while.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are two workarounds for drop pods that I know of. Use an invisible/invincible fast paradrop with a custom pod parachute anim. Or use a unit delivery SW to deliver a "pod" building, use the buildup anim to show it falling/landing, then make it spawn infantry/units once placed. The building can then be removed via a damaging anim.

I've been using the second method in D-day as glider reinforcements for awhile now.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Renegade
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-_^ Should you not be able to do that through the normal SW animations? Why the detour through a building?

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FreeUnit= #Tongue I want a squad of infantry & a jeep to be dropped per "pod".

I guess the lightning storm SW could be used too, the bolts can play the anim of the pod landing & also clear the area around the drop zone like in TS. Then just spawn an infantry from the anim. If done correctly it will look & work exactly like in TS.

Anyway the point was It can be emulated in several ways already so re-enabling it would just things more convenient for newbies.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kenosis already made a tutorial for his droppod SW workaround and it works great too. Give that a try.

Renegade
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
FreeUnit= #Tongue I want a squad of infantry & a jeep to be dropped per "pod".

I guess the lightning storm SW could be used too, the bolts can play the anim of the pod landing & also clear the area around the drop zone like in TS. Then just spawn an infantry from the anim. If done correctly it will look & work exactly like in TS.

Anyway the point was It can be emulated in several ways already so re-enabling it would just things more convenient for newbies.

Would the SW anim be played per unit? -_^ I thought it was one for all...

EricAnimeFreak
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Renegade wrote:
-_^ Should you not be able to do that through the normal SW animations? Why the detour through a building?

You could but then if you placed the dropod over ore or a titled terrain piece, the falling animation would land in a different spot other then where the pod was created. By having the buildup animation be the falling animation, this can't happen.

I use drop pods in my mod as well.

In the case of mine, the spawned pods have SW's attached to them that spawn a squad of men after a short time, and then self detonate.

Preplaced Neutral buildings.
Additional new features.

Enjoy Everyone!

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What about animation that generates gas, and the gas creates units. Or SW UnitDelivery? I'm not interested in logic DropPod, so I do not when I do not try to do it.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A pure UnitDelivery SW will spawn the units before the anim of the pods landing is finished etc. So you need a stage before that to get the timing right.

Renegade
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Code:
SW.Deferment=
?

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Renegade, SW.Deferment could be used, but if the cell is empty, the units will be on an adjacent cell, but the animation will play on that which occurred shot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [30 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon