Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:23 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Having A Very Tenacious Problem
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [31 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Godofgamers
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject:  Having A Very Tenacious Problem Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've run into some sort of heisenbug... placing these three terrain pieces on a map only sometimes causes it to crash at "calculating likely enemy plans" or at "secondary check of combat zone". It's acting exactly like I have "Template has damaged art" checked, but I've quadruple-checked to make sure that isn't the case. The strange thing is that these tiles sometimes don't cause crashes, and I'm totally at a loss as to how to fix this issue.

I'm posting the files here; if anyone can figure out what's causing the problem, I'd really appreciate it.

EDIT: Here they are ingame, but I haven't changed the files or code at all.

abc01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  144.08 KB
 Viewed:  4522 Time(s)

abc01.jpg

hwpclfa02b.tem
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  hwpclfa02b.tem
 Filesize:  10.27 KB
 Downloaded:  23 Time(s)

hwpclfa02a.tem
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  hwpclfa02a.tem
 Downloaded:  31 Time(s)

hwpclfa02.tem
 Description:
High Water Cliff

Download
 Filename:  hwpclfa02.tem
 Downloaded:  26 Time(s)

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Use XCC TMP editor Unofficial 1.05. Compare with some of original cliffs.
Extra Z Data seems to be missing the red color for overlapping areas.

Godofgamers
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's true, but most of the other tiles from this set don't have it either, and they're not causing crashes.

EDIT: Actually, you might be on to something; I originally made these from the regular cliff template, but the extra Z data was removed after I reworked the tileset, so that could be part of the problem.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

do you tried to check them with TMP Shop (link in my signature)? Maybe it shows the error or the difference to other working TMPs.

Another reason could be a corrupt mix. Empty the mix from all files and then add them all again. A corrupt mix can lead to strange issues like yours.

\Edit
Your bottom tiles have terrain Water. This can be in some cases a passable terrain (like hovercraft) and maybe it breaks pathfinding if such cliff tiles are passable.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Godofgamers
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll have a look, but as I said, the game only crashes sometimes when the tiles are on the map. If I go into FinalSun and change the location of the tiles, it sometimes works fine. I've never seen a problem like this before.

Godofgamers
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, I finally fixed the issue, but now I've run into a new one. I made this tile from scratch in TMP Builder, but it's not showing up properly in-game. I even fixed up the Z-data (at least, I think I did), but to no avail.

abc02.jpg
 Description:
View in FinalSun
 Filesize:  22.01 KB
 Viewed:  4338 Time(s)

abc02.jpg

abc01.jpg
 Description:
In-Game Screenshot
 Filesize:  148.15 KB
 Viewed:  4338 Time(s)

abc01.jpg

transclif01.tem
 Description:
The Tile

Download
 Filename:  transclif01.tem
 Filesize:  18.36 KB
 Downloaded:  20 Time(s)

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Terrain type rock (terrain number 7) doesn't suit this, also rocks get defined in rules.ini overlaytypes. Try another.

Recheck temperat.ini for not overwriting the existing ones.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

checked it with TMP Shop and it looks ok. No clue why it's black ingame.
I can only assume that it's an ini or mix file issue. Either the game reads a different ini and replaces the tmp with something else
or the mix in which you have the tmp is only read by finalsun and not the game.

@E1: i think terrain type Rock is also used by several vanilla TS cliffs.
IIRC type 7 is basially also the same as 15. Both fall back to being cliff terrain.

Public SHPs

Tools

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:

@E1: i think terrain type Rock is also used by several vanilla TS cliffs.

Checked, can't find any temperate vanilla TS cliffs using terrain type rock, they use 15.
But my TS folder contains old content. Tell me if there are exceptions.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you're right.
Only civ01.tem - civ08.tem use Rock 7.

Public SHPs

Tools

Godofgamers
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, seems TMP Builder doesn't have the option to use type 15 instead of 7... That explains quite a bit, but even with all the fixes I can think of, the tile still causes a crash. I even went so far as to download the TI public beta and use their tiles as a base, but it still won't work. I'm beginning to suspect it's not possible to implement it, at least not in its current form.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Converted rock to cliff and saved with latest TMP Shop. Took less than 10 mins.  Works in game properly.  
Though rock or cliff and open ended height of 2 shouldn't matter for showing up in-game.

img1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  235.92 KB
 Viewed:  4143 Time(s)

img1.jpg

transclif01changed.tem
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  transclif01changed.tem
 Filesize:  18.36 KB
 Downloaded:  22 Time(s)

Godofgamers
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting, I wonder what I missed... Thank you!

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

glad that got figured out! terrain IEs are a friggin pain in the butt

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Godofgamers wrote:
Okay, I finally fixed the issue

What was the problem of the first and the last tmp?

Public SHPs

Tools

Godofgamers
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm still not sure about the first one; I ended up just remaking it. The second one, even the changed version, still causes my game to crash, so I'm going to re-install. I'll probably end up redoing all of the cliff tilesets; it seems most of my assets are screwed up in some way or another. I think for XTX we may want to revert to Gangster's original release, and re-implement the assets we have.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How do you add tmps to your mix files? (what steps/tool)
It sounds more like a corrupt mix issue than a problem of the tmp itself.
Are you sure your temperat/snow inis are correct coded? Not that you changed one of the hardcoded sets and this way screwed up the game.

Public SHPs

Tools

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I think for XTX we may want to revert to Gangster's original release, and re-implement the assets we have.

Yeah, as long as we're reorganizing XTX - If we could make TX maps compatible with XTX would be a really awesome thing!
It's something we missed the first time around. By the time I got on XTX, the organization was so fusterclucked that it wasn't practical to try and make em compatible.

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Godofgamers
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use XCC Mix Editor to add put them into mix files. The .ini's should be correct; the coding is virtually the same as my other tilesets that don't cause crashes. I just deleted all my other mix files and put the tile in, but it's got the same problem of showing up ingame as a bunch of raised clear tiles.

I don't think we'll be able to make it both backwards compatible with TX and organise it nicely for mappers; to my knowledge, there aren't that many TX maps floating around, so I personally consider backwards compatibility a fairly minor issue. Once I actually get all these damned tilesets working in-game I might re-texture the concrete cliff faces and a few other things.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

XCC Mix Editor is known to cause corrupt mix files if you simply add new files. In the past i only found it reliable working when you completely empty the mix and add all files in one operation.

Better use XCC Mixer. It works much more reliable when adding files to mix's. (just Drag&Drop the files into the open mix)

Public SHPs

Tools

dodgevipergts
Chem Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

really? I've been using the mix editor since i started modding, and have never had a single corrupt mix.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

as written above, it depends how you use it. If you empty the mix and add all files in one operation it is quite reliable.
But if you constantly add and remove single files, then you soon get corrupt mix files with xcc Mix Editor.

The way i understand it, when you delete a file in a mix, the file is removed from the index table and the bytes where it stood are set to 0-bytes. So you have a block of unused bytes in the mix.
If the new file you want to add is smaller than the block of unused bytes, it is inserted there, else it is put at the end. And XCC Mix Editor seems to have trouble when such "unordered" mix files are created and sooner or later creates a corrupt mix. (Especially when you then also click "Compact" and this way totally rearrange the index table and order of the files in the mix)

I might be wrong, but i think XCC Mix Editor also hasn't seen any updates/bugfixes in years.
XCC Mixer on the other hand is still updated by Olaf.

Public SHPs

Tools

dodgevipergts
Chem Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
as written above, it depends how you use it. If you empty the mix and add all files in one operation it is quite reliable.
But if you constantly add and remove single files, then you soon get corrupt mix files with xcc Mix Editor.

I'm always adding and removing single files with mix editor but don't get any corrupt mixes.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The second TMP file and the changed file both are OK. Mix files should also be OK as it is usable in FinalSun.
Placing of mix files so that TS also gets it has to be checked.

Most likely it is the temperat.ini. Tileset numbering should be checked. I don't know if there is a max count.

I use XCC Mix Editor by drag-n-drop to add all files at one go to an empty mix file created by XCC Mixer
and never had any problem.

Godofgamers
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think I found the problem... the file's name was too long. I changed it to something shorter, and now it works perfectly.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When testing, rather than touching temperat.ini, I too renamed it to cliff16.tem instead of transclif01changed.tem.
Neglected to mention it.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh, indeed. Aro had a lot of trouble on TI too with too long filenames.
best use a 8.3 filename or shorter.

Public SHPs

Tools

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe it's an idea to build in a check in TMP Shop?
Something that warns the user about the length or shows it's too big when it is > 8 characters?

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

dodgevipergts
Chem Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I always wonders if having names longer than 8 chars would cause problems. Some of my files and ini entrys haves names that are over 8 chars, should i change them?

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RP wrote:
Maybe it's an idea to build in a check in TMP Shop?
Something that warns the user about the length or shows it's too big when it is > 8 characters?

good idea. see it as implemented. Smile

dodgevipergts wrote:
I always wonders if having names longer than 8 chars would cause problems. Some of my files and ini entrys haves names that are over 8 chars, should i change them?

well, it does work for voxel and shps, but who knows how the game handles them in the memory and in savegames. There only has to be a simple string[15] declaration somewhere in the code, and you would end up with strange sideeffects if 2 long filenames differ only in their end, which would be truncated for a 15 char limited string.
Ini-keys seem to have no limit or at least a very high one.

In TI we tried to make sure every single file follows 8.3, just to be on the safe side.

Public SHPs

Tools

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Keep terrain on 8.3. The ninth character is read as subterranean flag or something IIRC.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [31 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon