Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:26 pm
All times are UTC + 0
How to have hover units move over cliffs
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Rico
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject:  How to have hover units move over cliffs Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey,

First off I checked via search and couldn't find this topic.

Now, I'm trying to do what the title says, edit cliffs so that hover units can move over them as though they were normal terrain. I checked the cliff in rules.ini and edited:
Code:

; cliffs
[Rock]
Foot=0%
Track=0%
Wheel=0%
Float=100%
Hover=100%
Amphibious=100%
Buildable=no

Yet the units still go around cliffs so I'm guessing there's something I'm missing. Has anyone got experience changing how units work in regards to this?

Thanks for any help.

Nordos
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I once tried to modify [Rock] and had some strange results, too - for example, that they sometimes DO pass cliffs, but often enough won't. Yet if ordered multiple times, they may even get stuck in cliffs and so on.

I don't know if it is any help, though, I had some strange interactions when I played with some locomotor combinations.
When you give an aircraft a Hover locomotor, even if you don't change [Rock], they are sometimes able to jump down from cliffs. I have no idea when they are able to do it, though

So, yeah, I've created a new acc. 'cause no one could remember Ordosherrscher - and I didn't like that name anyway.

Rico
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nordos wrote:
Well, I once tried to modify [Rock] and had some strange results, too - for example, that they sometimes DO pass cliffs, but often enough won't. Yet if ordered multiple times, they may even get stuck in cliffs and so on.

I don't know if it is any help, though, I had some strange interactions when I played with some locomotor combinations.
When you give an aircraft a Hover locomotor, even if you don't change [Rock], they are sometimes able to jump down from cliffs. I have no idea when they are able to do it, though

I was able to get aircraft with hover locomotor to work as well however when you destroy the unit it doesn't actually explode and disappear, so not much use there. Also I want it to act like a hover unit, in that it doesn't land so that system while interesting doesn't fit the bill.

I hope it's something that can be fixed, TS has enough silly restrictions as it is.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I remember doing research on this, but also couldn't get it working. They could travel ON the cliffs, but not down them.

Maybe we should make a research thread giving each loco to each unittype and document the results as a graph or something.

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Rico
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team Black wrote:
I remember doing research on this, but also couldn't get it working. They could travel ON the cliffs, but not down them.

Maybe we should make a research thread giving each loco to each unittype and document the results as a graph or something.

That'd be a good idea, see if we can document the results of the locomotors, unit type etc and the results.

In my case I'm trying to do a flying unit that doesn't land, I don't mind if it's classified as a tank and everything can shoot at them however I am interested in what else we can find out for future reference.

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: How to have hover units move over cliffs Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rico wrote:
Code:

; cliffs
[Rock]
Foot=0%
Track=0%
Wheel=0%
Float=100%
Hover=100%
Amphibious=100%
Buildable=no

Section: Clear, Rough, Road, Water, Rock, Wall, Tiberium, Weeds, Beach, Ice, Railroad, Tunnel give commands to SpeedType, not MovementZone.

SpeedType - provides information about how to move a unit capable of tiles.

MovementZone - Is hardcode. This addition to the Locomotor. MovementZone includes not only information how to choose the path of movement, but also other special logic.

This means that if you want to make a mountain passable, you should change *.tem files. Since all MovementZone (except Fly, and perhaps Subterannean) hardcode trying to avoid a collision with the tile type "Rock" in planning the trajectory of motion.

Rico
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: How to have hover units move over cliffs Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glukv48 wrote:

Section: Clear, Rough, Road, Water, Rock, Wall, Tiberium, Weeds, Beach, Ice, Railroad, Tunnel give commands to SpeedType, not MovementZone.

SpeedType - provides information about how to move a unit capable of tiles.

MovementZone - Is hardcode. This addition to the Locomotor. MovementZone includes not only information how to choose the path of movement, but also other special logic.

This means that if you want to make a mountain passable, you should change *.tem files. Since all MovementZone (except Fly, and perhaps Subterannean) hardcode trying to avoid a collision with the tile type "Rock" in planning the trajectory of motion.

It's been coded with movement zone fly, here's the code for the unit in question (test unit):
Code:

; Dropship
[DSHP2]
Name=Dropship
Image=DSHP
Prerequisite=PROC
Strength=200
Category=AirLift
TooBigToFitUnderBridge=true
Armor=heavy
Landable=no
TechLevel=1
Sight=2
PipScale=Passengers
Speed=8
PitchSpeed=.4
RadarInvisible=no
Owner=GDI
Cost=1
Points=25
ROT=5
Selectable=yes
Passengers=5
Explosion=TWLT070,S_BANG48,S_BRNL58,S_CLSN58,S_TUMU60
VoiceSelect=30-I000,30-I002,30-I004,30-I006
VoiceMove=30-I014,30-I016,30-I018,30-I022
VoiceAttack=30-I022,30-I034,30-I036
;IsDropship=no
;HoverHeight=500
FlightLevel=1600
MaxDebris=9
;SpeedType=Hover
;Locomotor={92612C46-F71F-11d1-AC9F-006008055BB5}
Locomotor={4A582742-9839-11d1-B709-00A024DDAFD1}
MovementZone=Fly
ThreatPosed=0   ; This value MUST be 0 for all building addons
;Dock=GADROP
;SlowdownDistance=2000
DamageParticleSystems=SparkSys,SmallGreySSys
;LegalTarget=no
AuxSound1=DROPUP1   ;Taking off
AuxSound2=DROPDWN1   ;Landing

It's using the hover locomotor with movement type fly situated under vehicles. When I set it under aircraft it flys perfectly but cannot be destroyed (the health drops but when it 'dies' theres an explosion but the vxl remains, is selectable but cannot move and is at 1bar of health). So trying to go the vehicle path hoping it'd have more luck.

robertoproz1
Medic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have the whole... it moves through the rock and clips through the rock face. - if you make rock "passable" by hover wouldnt it make for some really strange ascension animation? like idk .. floating up a cliff is more a mama trick than a hover vehicle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon