Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:28 am
All times are UTC + 0
Recording RA2 and YR. Possible?
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [31 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

Also Known As: ZivDero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject:  Recording RA2 and YR. Possible?
Subject description: Move this please if it should be somewhere else
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everyon. I was stuck when I tried to record Red Alert 2. I was trying it for a looong time and I tried both Bandicam, Fraps, Camtasioa Sudio 7 and 8, HyperCam 2 and 3. I am using Windows 8.1. The only way I got programs to capture Red Alert 2 is by making itwindowed but that makes visual bugs and slows down the game. Can somebody, please, explain, how can I easily record RA2?

What in the name of insanity is this? I FRICKING LOVE THIS LOGICCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOHEEAWWWWWWWWWWWYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW PEW PEW PEW PEW BOOM BOOM BOOM!! Nice I love this!!!! Ferriswheel bomb, Dive bomb. New Logic discovered thanks to Kenosis Very Happy

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bandicam and Camtasia work perfectly fine.
Perhaps it's the shit-tier OS you're using (only one to blame their is the seller, or you if you put it on yourself).
Besides that, recording games isn't a 0.01% load on your CPU. If you are running an older computer, it'll lag more.

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Martin Killer
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bandicam is good, better thing than Camtasia 8 for sure in terms of recording - videos are being processed/encoded much faster than with Camtasia. Anyway, with Bandicam you can't make "heavier" edits to your video while Camtasia has got such options.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What's the issue when you try to record it fullscreen?

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The issu is that no programs want to capture the program. If, for expample, Bandicam reconized Battlefield 4 or any other game as a DirectX/OpenGL application, an FPS counter appears and I can record, that doesn't have peen with Red Alert 2 for me.

What in the name of insanity is this? I FRICKING LOVE THIS LOGICCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOHEEAWWWWWWWWWWWYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW PEW PEW PEW PEW BOOM BOOM BOOM!! Nice I love this!!!! Ferriswheel bomb, Dive bomb. New Logic discovered thanks to Kenosis Very Happy

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Start Bandicam, click the Target button and then select 'Rectangle on a screen' ('DirectX/OpenGL window' is selected by default and this doesn't work for TS and RA2/YR). In the black bar that appears then you need to select 'Full screen' for the screen size.

View user's profile Send private message ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whenever I select the screen with the screen select tool, it just records my desktop. And I guess it has something to do with the fact that I can't Atl+Tab the game. It just gives a black screen when reopened.

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are one freaking genius, Parasite03...
Did you even read what Bittah said?
'Rectangle on a screen' =/= screen select tool
This has nothing to do with 'not understanding English'.

/ppm/'s stupidity

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The way I called that thing was clear enogh to undertand that that tool selects a rectangle on a screen. It's the damn same thing he meant. I am not that dumb.

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alright, I'm not going to start a flame war here.
I'd be more than happy to explain you the difference one day, once your healthy again.
That concludes my help to you.

/ppm/'s stupidity

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just to make sure; did you do this?

1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.35 KB
 Viewed:  6975 Time(s)

1.png

2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.07 KB
 Viewed:  6975 Time(s)

2.png

View user's profile Send private message ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ye. I get that rectangle to select the full screen. When I finish the recording, I see the desktop and the sound from my mic. It just records plain desktop.

Martin Killer
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try with Camtasia then.

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Camtasia does the same thing. Or it doesn't want to record the game, or I get desktop in my recording.

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use HyperCam2 to record Tiberian Sun with Win7. Works well but saves only in .avi which ends up being huge in filesize if you want a good quality. I convert them to MP4 then.

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1. I do not weant o record Tiberian Sun. I want Red Alert 2.
2. I do not remember how to record RA2 with HyperCam 2 and to me it looks just as any other recording software and does the damn same thing.

EDIT

Please, stop telling things like: try to record it with this software! I told you which software I tried. I try to get help on how to record with them but not messages like Nero's or MK's.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

https://feedback.techsmith.com/techsmith/topics/games_not_recording_in_camtasia_8

According to that, disabling Aero (or more likely, the Desktop Window Manager technology behind it) could help. However, I don't know a way to disable DWM in Windows 8. 7 does it automatically when a program switches to fullscreen mode, but I'm not sure if 8 does the same thing. Probably not since recording doesn't work. Maybe you could try setting RA2's Game.exe to 16-bit color compatibility mode and see if it helps.

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

16-bit color mode doesn't help. Windows 8 does not automatically switch off the DWM (I believe Windows with switcher off DWM is called an Aero Lite theme, it's present as a file in Windows 8 but needs to be separated and activated manually). Also, I'm not very sure if the thing is because of Aero or DWM but I'll try it, thanks.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alright, found a perfectly reliable source for it: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh848042%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Quote:
In Windows 8, DWM desktop composition is a core operating system component and cannot be disabled.

Quote:
Unlike Windows 7, Windows 8 does not support color depth other than 32 bits per pixel. The user can no longer change the color depth of the system by using the control panel.

In addition, app developers cannot use APIs to change the color depth of the system. Windows 8 will detect apps that try to change the color depth of the system to less than 32 bits per pixel, and inform the user that an app compatibility shim must be applied to run the apps. After confirmation from the user, the app compatibility shim is applied and the shim virtualizes the low color mode to the app while keeping the system running at 32 bits per pixel.

So, it sounds like there's no way to disable DWM in Windows 8. If you want to record, you'll have to seek other solutions.

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Martin Killer
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How the heck do you record a desktop beneath the game window when Camtasia records all the area selected by user?

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know how, but any program records the desktop in the selected area (in my case it's the whole screen) but not the game. Appareantly, they don't like the game.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Martin Killer wrote:
How the heck do you record a desktop beneath the game window when Camtasia records all the area selected by user?

Maybe you should try actually reading the topic.. I already linked to this earlier:

https://feedback.techsmith.com/techsmith/topics/games_not_recording_in_camtasia_8

Quote:
When games go fullscreen, they take exclusive control over the video device. Usually in that situation, the method we use to record the screen doesn't work. The only workaround I know of at the moment is to put the game into windowed mode, and then record that window.

You could also try disabling the Aero color scheme. Aero does graphics redirection that can also cause the issue you are seeing.

Martin Killer
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Full screen is also recorded by Camtasia when you select to record a full monitor area instead of program.

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1. The problem is not just with Camtasia. And recording program does that.
2. I will try disabling Aero tomorrow (23:50 here) because that involves turning off the DWM and that makes do stuff I don't want to do atm.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Martin Killer wrote:
Full screen is also recorded by Camtasia when you select to record a full monitor area instead of program.

Quote:
When games go fullscreen, they take exclusive control over the video device. Usually in that situation, the method we use to record the screen doesn't work....

..Aero does graphics redirection that can also cause the issue you are seeing.

Coming directly from a Camtasia developer. Shouldn't be too hard to understand.

Martin Killer
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Strange, never had problems with Camtasia recording full screen with Aero, both with RA2 and MO 3.0. Start recording windowed game then or disable aero.

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's because you are on W7, W8 has no Aero but Metro.
I believe no-one (with a bit of skill) is unable to record on Windows 7.
Recording Yuri's Revenge on Windows 8 is very much possible, as I've tried earlier with success.

/ppm/'s stupidity

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1. As for the windowd game - I can't. When I make it windowed, the game slows down and starts looking incorrectly.
2. I am on Windows 8. RP ,windows 8 has Aero. Aero is not just the fancy windows borders. It has a bunch of other features that are present in W8. As I said before, I willtry disabling Aero.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To be more precise:

1) Windows 7 has the optional Aero theme. For Aero to work, it requires DWM (Desktop Window Manager), which enables hardware acceleration of the desktop along with a lot of other improvements. When you run a fullscreen game on 7, DWM along with Aero is temporarily disabled and turned back on if you alt-tab or exit from the game. If you change to the Windows Classic theme, both DWM and Aero effects are turned off.

2) Windows 8 has no Aero theme, but the DWM component remains, this time it's just more integrated to the OS, for example the Start screen won't function at all with it disabled. In other words, disabling DWM makes the system more or less unusable.

3) As far as I can tell, it's not Aero but DWM performing the graphics redirection (which the Camtasia developer told about) that occasionally causes recording issues also on Windows 7. People have just got used to calling both Aero and DWM just "Aero", because in Windows 7 the Aero theme was strongly linked to the technology making the glassy theme possible.

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1. I did find a way to disable DWM so I'll try it later.
2. Windows 8 has no Aero theme but for some reason there is a hidden "Aero Lite" theme which looks very weird.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [31 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!