Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:08 am
All times are UTC + 0
Strike Fighter
Moderators: Generals Moderators, Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
BigBad
Medic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject:  Strike Fighter
Subject description: Raptor just kind of hangs out after firing
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I want to have a plane that can function as both an air-to-air fighter and a ground-attack plane.  The Raptor can do this, but it uses the same weapon for each kind of strike.  I fooled around a bit and got the Raptor to use it missiles for air-to-air combat and a new weapon I made for ground attack.  Awesome!  The problem is that when it uses up one type of weapon, it doesn't return to the airfield.  Even when I set it to guard the ground, when it only had air-to-air missiles left, it didn't return home, nor did it return home after a dedicated ground-attack mission.  

Is there a way to make the plane automatically return to base when it still has all of its primary/secondary weapons, but no secondary/primary?

robertoproz1
Medic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if you have a group of planes and the first two destroy the target - do the other 2 planes drop back and return as default or does the same issue persist? gave my planes a secondary for A2A combat - but i used MiGs if the target is destroyed before the other migs get there the 2 behind go back but the front two stay circling- -

unless you are taking out helicopters with your plane you may as well just increase the payload and make the king raptor the generic raptor for all american forces #Tongue

The-Light
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I believe the raptor in your case thinks that because it still has ammo doesnt need to return home, concequently i also think that the GDI bomber from Tiberian Wars has an weaponswitch upgrade to surcomvent this "bug".

However with that in mind you could try and use a commandset upgrade to switch weaponsets so your fighter/bomber switches loadout only on the ground, this way no more bombs equals out of ammo and plane will return home.

BigBad
Medic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have plenty of options for changing the weapons when the plane is on the ground, and I do plan to play with that.  However, the idea isn't to have a plane be capable of both air and land attacks; I want a multirole fighter like the F/A-18 that can simultaneously carry air-to-air missiles and separate weapons for ground attack.

I know what the F-22 can carry in real life.  I see no need to differentiate between AMRAAM and Sidewinder missiles on the unit, but there's a big difference between sending the plane up with six or eight missile that can target anything, and sending it up there with four air-to-air missiles and two Mk-83s (real Raptor payload).

I don't know Tiberium Wars.  Can the weapon switch be accomplished in Generals?

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you want a multirole fighter, why not use the F-35? #Tongue

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

BigBad
Medic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team Black wrote:
If you want a multirole fighter, why not use the F-35? #Tongue
That's what I'm trying to mimic!

I don't get why Zero Hour didn't have the F-35 in the game.  It's supposed to be fairly realistic and set in the near future (though probably before what is now the present day, and the F-35 isn't yet in service AFAIK).

Is the F-35 hidden in the game somewhere?  I've never heard that, but it makes sense and seems plausible.  Even if I don't use the F-35 model, if it is coded to handle different air-to-air and air-to-ground weapons, I could use that code.

I should have said F-35 rather than F/A-18.  I just like that the Hornet has the double-designation (which I think the F-35 should have, but that's for another time).

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can have only 1 weapon on which the unit will return to the airfield to reload.

robertoproz1
Medic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

in zero hour doesnt the nuclear cannon have a swap from nuke warhead to neutron warhead? maybe you could make it so a raptor has that option to swap between midair - since it doesnt have to be docked to swap like the firehawk from cnc3

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK I thought you were going to use custom graphics, my bad

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

BigBad
Medic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dutchygamer wrote:
You can have only 1 weapon on which the unit will return to the airfield to reload.
Why?  What part of the coding causes that?

robertoproz1 wrote:
in zero hour doesnt the nuclear cannon have a swap from nuke warhead to neutron warhead? maybe you could make it so a raptor has that option to swap between midair - since it doesnt have to be docked to swap like the firehawk from cnc3
I forget what allows for a switch; it definitely exists.  This is the best idea I've heard for buttons that toggle between the weapons, and I could see it going this way, though I'd prefer to be able to click a tank and have the anti-tank missile fire and then click a plane and have the AMRAAM fire.  I also think that no matter what, I have to figure out how to get my plane to fly home when he's out of ammo of either type.

Team Black wrote:
OK I thought you were going to use custom graphics, my bad
I would love to add my own units!  I don't know how to do that, and I've neither found scores of great models online like I recall seeing for Yuri's Revenge, nor seen good tutorials for adding custom units, self-created or otherwise.  (I don't think I have the art ability to make my own.)  This topic leads up quite far afield from the original topic, but if you (or anyone else) have links to good tutorials or models for this topic (and I don't just mean aircraft), please do post them or PM me.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BigBad wrote:
Dutchygamer wrote:
Why?  What part of the coding causes that?

In the weapon:
Code:
AutoReloadsClip             = RETURN_TO_BASE

The game will only read this for one weapon. Although, now I'm thinking of it I am not 100% sure what happens when two weapons have this. Best you just try something out by giving both weapons this tag and see what happens.

BigBad
Medic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I copied the ground-attack weapon from another airstrike.  It had the "return to base" to reload tag.

This is irritating, but I find it hard to believe that it can't be done; it seems like too obvious of an option.  I don't have a ton of mods.  Does this exist in Project Raptor or something?  (I say that one because I'm playing around with the Raptor!)

The-Light
Grenadier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Doesn't "AutoReloadsClip  = RETURN_TO_BASE" just make it so that this weapon is only reloaded when the unit is stationed at an airfield?

You could try to make the go "back when idle" timer smaller so it near immediately returns home if it doesn't have a target. Obviously this wouldn't help with guard mode though...

BigBad
Medic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The-Light wrote:
You could try to make the go "back when idle" timer smaller so it near immediately returns home if it doesn't have a target. Obviously this wouldn't help with guard mode though...
That's worth investigating, because then I could kind of get my strike fighter, but my plan was really to have something that could be sent to an area and just guard it from anything -- air or surface.  

I can certainly do that, but I dislike the idea of doing it with the same weapon.  The Raptor would have AMRAAM and Sidewinder missiles (just call them AAMs in the game) for air-to-air combat (plus its gun, but that's too much to think about for now) and then 1000lbs bombs for ground attack.  I don't know of any (real) missile that is designed for both air-to-air and air-to-surface.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon