Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Japanese heavy tanks
Moderators: Mig Eater
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject:  Japanese heavy tanks
Subject description: Magical mystery tour.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Part four of the Japanese units shows their heavy tanks. All of them are shrouded in mystery and rumor as very little documentation has survived to this day, most being destroyed at the end of the war to keep it out of the hands of the Americans.

Type 95

The Type 95 was the final evolution of Japan's pre-war multi-turreted heavy tank designs, which begin with Japan's first indigenous tank the Experimental Tank No.1. From the Tank No.1 to the Type 91 and then to the Type 95 efforts were made to improve the design with multiple engine and track configurations. In the end the Type 95 was deemed to slow and cumbersome and only a single prototype was built.

Type 96 Iwakuro

Confusingly know as the 100 ton tank, the Type 96 and also as the O-I, this heavy tank project was started by Colonel Hideo Iwakuro of the Department of War so it is often named after him. Iwakuro started the project in response to the defeat of Japanese forces to the Soviets on the Manchurian border in 1939, stating "I want a huge tank built which can be used as a mobile pillbox in the wide open plains of Manchuria". Information on its development is limited and is often confused or interchangeable with another Japanese "100 ton tank" project.

Mi-To

Mainly know as the "100 Ton Tank" the only surviving documents of this project are on display at the Wakajishi shrine museum along with a single track link. The name Mi-To comes from post-war interviews with engineers working on the project who nicknamed it the Mitsubishi-Tokyo or Mi-To tank for short, they also state that a prototype was built but failed miserably and was later scrapped, the piece of track at Wakajishi shrine being the only thing left.

Type 100 O-I

The O-I is the most well known of Japan's multi-turreted heavy tank design of world war 2. There is however very little information available and the few sources often contradict each other, leading to speculation of multiple versions of this tank being designed over its development. It is reported that the O-I reached a wooden mockup stage near the end of the war but there are also rumors that one prototype was finished and tested in Manchuria but no evidence to support this has been found.

Type 2604

Documents about the Type 2604 were only recently discovered in a Russian archive about foreign tank designs. The Russian report mainly focused on the engine and its cooling system with little to no information about the other parts on the tank. However it did also include some diagrams which show off this massive vehicle and its turret which has a resemblance to a turret that was used as a fortification on the Japanese-Soviet border. This has lead to much speculations about the turret's origins and if it could have been left over from an unfinished Type 2604 prototype.

Tomorrow I'll post the Japanese tank destroyers and artillery.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow, so many tanks. Really amazing work you've done.
Banshee must have cloned not only your news posts but also yourself. Otherwise i can't explain how you get all this work done.

Also really nice about the detailed descriptions. A fan of this mod will automatically become a real tank and history expert.

The only thing you should do is fix your VPL. The sides are too bright illuminated. With that reduced, the VXL should also fit a lot better to your beautiful hand drawn SHP buildings.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some of these tanks were made 5 years ago & others last week, but most of them were made July/August last year. Events in my life over the past year have meant that I could only post about them now tho.

Yes the sides are quite bright, I'm already using an edited VPL file made by Apollo tho so they could have been even brighter! I haven't looked at editing the VPL myself yet but it might be worth it as I need to add some new colours to the pal as the next tank I want to make is bright pink.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon